Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Buggys!-Ofna MBX PRO RTR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buggys!-Ofna MBX PRO RTR?

Im gonna be selling my GT-4 in a few days as soon as i can get pictures of it. I had a stadium truck, decided to get on-road, so i sold it, but now i have a craving to go baack to offroad, especially bcause the good weather is finnaly coming! I was leaning towards MT's, but i never can keep my mind set on one thing, and they are all pretty expensive..ive always thought buggies were cool but even more expensive, but now i found the Ofna MBX PRO rtr for 340 bucks. It looks nice, and i am now really considering it. I can still drive it on-road and still bash off road. Anyone have one of these? Is it any good? anything i might want to know about it?
thanks,
Alex
Old 03-22-2003, 03:55 AM
boaz

I ordered one and while waiting for it to come in, I bought a used GS STORM. Once the MBX came in, I looked it over very well. The body looks very tight. I haven't ran it. Only a detailed inspection. The main thing I saw was you will need to replace the stering servo and the radio was cheep. But well worth teh price.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:49 AM
ibdrummr

Default mbx

i just bought an ofna mbx pro rtr, but i can not get it started!!!! i oiled it, glow starter is charged, plug is good, engine is primed, but when i yank the pull start it putters for about 1/2 of a second an the pull start seems to kinda lock up, even though it is not flooding..,.... any help????
Old 03-23-2003, 05:23 AM
mattymx
My Feedback: (1)

make sure that you have the 2 air screws at the recommended settings which is usually 2 1/2 turns out on both.

Matt
Old 03-23-2003, 06:59 AM
grampi

Originally posted by boaz
I ordered one and while waiting for it to come in, I bought a used GS STORM. Once the MBX came in, I looked it over very well. The body looks very tight. I haven't ran it. Only a detailed inspection. The main thing I saw was you will need to replace the stering servo and the radio was cheep. But well worth teh price.
Isn't the radio an Airtronics? The Blazer Sport? While it's not one of the better radios made, it's not the worst either. I'm sure compared to the Ace Jaguar radio that comes with the RC 10GT RTR, the Blazer seems like a darn good radio.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:16 AM
ibdrummr

Default YAY!!!!!!!!!

well, i got the buggy running....im breakin it in now

i took it to the lhs and the nitro guy got it all fixed up. Turns out that ofnas crappy alkaline glow starter doesnt cut it, so MAKE SURE U HAVE A RECHARGEABLE ONE!! that is what kept my buggy from starting.

if ur thinking about a mbx, i think its a great choice. low price for nice features....oohhh .25 engine....

<side note> there is an old british guy that runs my lhs and the first words out of his mouth when he saw my buggy were, and in a very austin powers/british accent were: "Now, THATS a BIG motah!!" lol

it was very tight at first, but its breaking in nicely...ofna takes car of many little details, ie: shock socks, silicone switch cover, body clip holder on radio tray...little things like that that they have given thought to. oh, and it comes with 6 tires, 4 blue and 2 yellow...that makes me happy
Old 03-25-2003, 02:59 AM
grampi

Keep us posted on the MBX. I'm curious to find out how well it holds up.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Polobear

Indeed, keep this thread going with updates! That was one of the rigs I was looking at but I went with a savage instead (you're right, big engines are a bugger to get going at first but they do get easier!).

Some day I might even be able to hook up with grampi and see his mach-speed GT (if he can keep it running for more than a day!)

j/k of course, grampi!

Keep us updated on your progress.

pb
Old 03-25-2003, 07:22 PM
kiwikoolxxxnt

the mbx looks cool, id also like to hear how it holds up once the roadgets rougher the blue and yello tires are also pretty stylin
(it may not be a road but it will be something that somewhat connects to a road)
Old 03-25-2003, 08:54 PM
grampi

Originally posted by Polobear
Indeed, keep this thread going with updates! That was one of the rigs I was looking at but I went with a savage instead (you're right, big engines are a bugger to get going at first but they do get easier!).

Some day I might even be able to hook up with grampi and see his mach-speed GT (if he can keep it running for more than a day!)

j/k of course, grampi!

Keep us updated on your progress.

pb
There are several of us in this area now who need to get together. There's 2 other guys on the base here with Nitros (vwtrey is one of them), the guy in Nunn, and Polobear. We could a regular ol' bashin party goin'! My hopped up GT won't be doing me any good in about 2 or 3 weeks. vwtrey will be getting his Ofna MBX buggy and there's no way I'll be able to keep up with that. What should I get now?
Old 03-26-2003, 08:57 PM
ibdrummr

Default HOLY NITRO!!

wow....im stunned...

although this my first nitro, i have seen others run, and i am very impressed with my mbx.. aside from lookin hott, i leaned it out today and it started to show its true colors...its a little devil! the buggy runs smooth, and starts VERY easy now that it is broken in....the .25 wasnt the problem....it was just my glowstarter. now, it fires up great and flieeeeess.

i took a ride down to the park and let her open up....over the river and through the woods..it did great. i went through the volleyball pit A LOT.. it really flew on the sand, and right at the edge the sand makes a hill...can you say JUMPIN TIME??
it handled great, landed nice; a little jerk on the throttle and the nose came right up, it was very nice....BUT, this story has a bad ending.

near the end of my 3rd tank, i did just about my highest jump yet. i think what happened was that i was so stunned by the awesomeness of the flight that i was paralyzed. i just let it soar, and didnt touch the trigger....then BAM i was snapped back to reality when the buggy nosed into the ground flipping about 4 times....TOTALLY my fault...i dont blame the buggy, i feel bad for it. so it turns out i knocked the exhaust loose, which was easliy reconnected, and bent my rear aluminum shock tower. (ouch) i bent it back (which was probably a bad idea) and it still runs beautifly. but if i did that again the tower would probably break right off, so i need to be real careful until the replacement comes in.

long story short, great buggy beginning driver learning to control a monster.

ps. the mbx needs a stronger steering servo, but then you would need to control the brakes better to keep it from flipping.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:03 PM
grampi

If you're not breakin' 'em, it's cause you're not drivin' 'em. It happens to all of us.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:06 PM
ibdrummr

Default true

so true....just tell that to my dad....he's pretty mad. thinks i pushed it beyond its limits or sumthin. oh well im happy. lol
Old 03-27-2003, 12:23 AM
SINNER

I have the ultra lx pro. Same buggy just a little more basic and cheaper at 300 bucks. I have to say I'm pretty happy with it. Let me tell you, I have abused this buggy and it keeps coming back for more.

The only problem I've had was I stripped the center diff. gears. I used the old epoxy fix for a locked diff. and it actually drives better. The only other problem I've had was the steering servo. To much airtime for a ten dollar servo. Got a hobbico 107 oz replacement on the way.

I can definitly believe the beast goes close to 50 with a good smooth runway. Not quite as much topend as my 2.5 tmaxx but it all turns around when you have to turn around

Actually considering another lx or maybe the mbx as a backup car for newbie friends to try out because it is so user friendly and bulletproof. I hit a 6" tall parking lot curbing going about 40 and chipped it. nothing but a scratch on the buggy.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:32 AM
grampi

Did I read your post right? You said it's not quite as fast as your T-Maxx? You must have your T-Maxx hopped up because they aren't that fast stock.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:03 PM
ibdrummr

Default bashin

ok, i couldnt get to the park today so i drove in my yard (big...corner lot) and in the street. i came to a realization about my buggy....IT HAS POWER!!! when i hit the throttle hard, the back almost scrapes on the ground!!! its crazy....and kinda hard for a newbie like me to learn to control...

BUT i think that is due in part to the CRAPPY steering servo...grrr..40 sumthin oz is NOT enough for this little devil. i wanted to wait till i got the nice jr xs radio that comes with a 90oz steering servo, but i might have to give up the cash sooner so that i can control this thing. right now, it has a turn radius of like 15 feet....i can barely turn around in my street...and its very unresponsive handling wise....its very hard to steer down a sidewalk, for example.

but im lovin that .25 engine!!
Old 03-27-2003, 09:18 PM
grampi

Tower Hobbies has some decent 100+ oz. servos for less than $40. If and when I order my buggy/truggy/MT or whatever I order, I'll order a high torque servo the same day.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:33 PM
ibdrummr

Default more learning

ah, more learning for the newbie..

lesson 1: take it slow
lesson 2: buggys are not indestructible

i now know that my buggy wil not be able to take everything i dish out. its a sad fact, but my buggy is not meant to fly, cartwheel, flip, skip, skid, fall, or propel its nitro-guzzling bundle of joy in any other extreme fashion. i have parts on the way, and my buggy will once again be operational. however, once i fix it, i promise not to run it in the street, jump curbs or gutters, push it to its limits, etc. i will concentrate on my drving and perform areobatics only after i am experienced and confident enough to do so. right now i feel realllllyy dumb....i have abused my buggy. if i wanted to do this i should have gotten a monster truck..but nooooo i had to have the speed, so i will learn to respect the buggy.

but i have to admit...the look on my neighboors face when that .25 hit 45mph was great...muahahahaaaaaa
Old 03-28-2003, 12:44 AM
grampi

And that's a look you aren't gonna get with an MT.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:20 AM
studysession

I ordered an MBX Pro and it is on back order. Supposed to be here beginning of May.

Does it really go that fast? Is that with single or 2 speed tranny hop up?
Old 04-29-2003, 05:32 PM
BGates
My Feedback: (3)

MINE GOES THAT FAST OUT OF THE BOX WITH THE SINGLE SPEED TRANNY I HAVE ALMOST 2 GALLONS OF GAS THROUGH MINE AND HAVE NOT BROKEN ANYTHING EXCEPT PULL STARTERS (I NEED TO GET A BOX ) BUT I LOVE MY BUGGY IT IS A MUST HAVE FOR SPEED ON THE TRACK I CAN KEEP UP WITH BUGGYS THAT COST 3 TIMES WHAT MINE DID BUT MY DRIVING SKILL IS WHAT IS HOLDING ME BACK NOT MY MBX PRO. NOT TO MENTION I HAVE GUYS ALL THE TIME AT THE TRACK STANDING AROUND ADMIRING MY BUGGY AND ALL THAT I HAVE DONE IS PUT BLUE RIMS AND A FEW HOMEMADE DRESS UP PARTS

DID I MENTION THAT I LOVE THIS THING !!!!!
P.S. BY THE WAY I LOVE MY BUGGY
I DRIVE THE CRAP OUT OF THIS THING AND HAVENT BROKE ANTTHING
Old 08-11-2003, 11:45 PM
jval144

Default ultra mbx pro

i have my ofna ultra mbx pro for about 3mos now i love it i also got a tmaxx and when i do play with my buggy i always forget how much power it has it is quick i took my pull start off and use a starter box it starts really easy and holds up great as long as you dont hit anything it's so fast i hit a curb and broke the batter pack inside the reciver case and split my gas tank in two if you got 350.00 i highly recommend it it's awesome thank you ofna