Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Question for the Racer Crowd

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 04:57 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for the Racer Crowd

I've been fiddling with r/c cars on and off since about 1987, when I got my first Tamiya Frog. I've been a pretty avid basher for the past 3-4 years, playing around with my cars once or twice a week average--I've even started using my cars more often than my r/c planes lately. Currently the (ahem) raceable cars I have are a Mini-LST2, a Mini Inferno Zero9(nitro version), and a first gen(.21 powered) Monster GT. I've hit the local tracks a couple times in the past year, and running laps and trying to improve my times is pretty addictive.

So, I'm at a crossroads. I'd like to try out racing, but I'm not sure what direction to go. It looks like 1/10 modified electric offroad ST, buggy, and 4wd buggy, 1/8th buggy, and truggy are the most popular here. After talking to a few of the local racers, it looks like I'd be able to race the MLST2 in 1/18th offroad, and the MGT, depending on the club rules for the upcoming season, might be able to race in production monster, or may be forced to run in 'unlimited monster'(1/8th truggy).

Any words of wisdom on what might be a good class to start out with racing? I'd like to use my existing vehicles, but there's no mini nitro class, so the inferno's out, the MGT would be at a real disadvantage if I have to run against truggies, and the MLST is a bit awkward running on a 1/10 - 1/8 scale track(some of the jumps are pretty harsh for a mini and I'm full throttle most of the time between them).

I'm not afraid of buying a new kit(electric or nitro) if that's the smartest thing, but I don't want to sink in a whole bunch of startup money on a vehicle that isn't bashable at all in case I turn out to not like racing. Any thoughts are welcome. FWIW, I plan to buy a decent 2.4ghz radio to replace my AM cheapies, and I'm not worried about the cost of radio gear and or batteries, just the vehicle and engine/motor/esc costs involved.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Question for the Racer Crowd

One word for you... truggy.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:42 PM
SManMTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One word for you... 1/8 scale buggy.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's three words!! [&:] Buggies are good a well, but I've raced and bashed both, and I think the truggy is the more fun in both.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:30 PM
BuzzBomber

If it would make any difference in recommendations, the track where I will be racing is pretty tight by 1/8th scale standards, I'm told. If interested, take a look at these pictures from the club's website: http://www.dirtrunners.com/gallery_7_9_06_1.html
Old 11-30-2007, 12:10 PM
BuzzBomber

Hmm. I thought this thread would generate a few more responses. Based on the response so far, I'm considering 1/8th buggy. If I decide to go that route, I'll start asking questions in the buggy forum.

I do have another thought though. 1/10 electric ST still seems somewhat popular at the track, and if I just want to try it out, I could pick up one of the new Evader EXTs and make some strategic improvements, and probably have a race-able rig for about $150. I know it won't be top of the line, but it's so cheap I wouldn't be losing much if it doesn't pan out.

Any more thoughts on the matter?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Anthoop

Hmm,now i don't race but i have a pair of Hyper7's and i can tell you (as virtually anyone will) that you'll not be dissapointed,cheap,tough,excellant starting point and a zillion available upgrades.Now again i don't know but i would imagine a buggy would be better suited to a smaller track.My suggestion to you would be to ask this question in the buggy forum anyway as most of the guys there don't even venture into this area and so your missing alot of opinion.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
BuzzBomber

I'm dragging this thread back on top for a bit more advice. My budget and fleet have changed a bit since the original post. I added a heli ($$$) and sold my Mini-LST2.

One of the local racers told me that there was a proposed rule change that would let me run my MGT in a more evenly matched class (Revo, T-Maxx, Savage, LST, etc. instead of truggy), but I'm not sure if it went though. So, racing the MGT may be a possibility if I remove reverse and replace all the worn parts in the drivetrain. I'm still thinking by the time I get done spending money on repairing/upgrading this truck, I'd be better off starting fresh. I do have a modest budget, so keep that in mind.

1/8th Buggy or Truggy are still options if I can get a competitive kit and engine for $500 or less. I have radio gear, so don't need to factor that in.

I'm also thinking maybe an Electric would be a better starting point? I don't know how popular it is at the local track but they have several classes listed including Buggy off-road and oval in stock and mod; ST stock and mod for oval and off-road, and 4WD oval and off-road mod. It seems like equipping, say, an Ultima RB5 or maybe a DB-01 with a good sensored B/L and batteries would be a little cheaper and simpler than going nitro. I don't know......too many options, I guess.

So, what do you think? Would going 1/8th nitro be biting off more than I can chew as a beginning racer, and should I start out by learning the ropes w/ a 2WD electric, or should I just go for the gusto and start shopping 1/8th buggies/truggies?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 AM
qaiz

Id say, if you're new to racing, go for a Nitro 4wd, reason being, electric produces MASSIVE amounts of torque, and can become difficult to control. Nitros have a great top speed, but power all over the power band and not in one huge lump, so Nitro's have the advantage of controllability.

4wd because it handles better off-road and you wont be fighting for throttle control in and out of the turns.

Truggy, because it is the up and coming class, and you do get the best of both worlds, Stance of a Monster Truck, Handling Of A Buggy, they're perfectely centered.

My recommendations would be, TT ST1, and upgrade the engine.

OR

If you'r looking for a lil' bit higher price and a Kit, TT ST1 Pro, you'll need your own engine and radios and servos, but it's well worth it.

Also can I persuade you to look into the Hyper ST , Im extremely biased towards that truck
Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
125cchyperman

You cant ever go wrong with a buggy, there quite popular all around no matter really where you go. Yeah there will be the occasional place that there really not all that wel liked but for the most part there quite the popular group. St's are also a good group although in certain area's there starting to die out though, personally I like this group. Teaches you patience and throttle control and throttle control is a bit hard to come by when your trying your hardest to catch a racer in front of you and there pretty inexpensive but as all nitro's need you need to give them TLC. If you go electric there just as cool, if you go brushless(not sure how the rules are set up at your local track) then they can be just as fast as a nitro can be but will cost a bit to get there though with a charger brushless system and batteries. But there are class's that use 27 turn motors which are pretty cheap and can be bought for as low as $30.

There are a ton of decisions that can be made, I know I might not have made your decision any better. But you cant go wrong with a Buggy though, you cant go wrong with a truggy either. But I'm still up in the air about truggies there cool but then again there not. Thats just my personal opinion about them though. But good luck though
Old 03-06-2008, 11:57 AM
J.D.T

I would say go hang out a night or two before buying anything, I tried to go back to racing last summer but I can't stand the sitting/standing around waiting for an hour between five to fifteen minute races, especially if there is a big turnout, four of five hours for 40 minutes of driving time is not worth it to me, it made me understand why guys will have four or five cars to race each night to keep themselves entertained but this gets expensive at $8 a class=$128-160 a month and thats if its a once a week track, there is one local that will run nine classes a each week between nitro and electric, $72 a week equals a used harley payment in my mind lol.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:47 PM
BuzzBomber

Thanks for giving me some input guys. Alright, it seems like most think that nitro would be a better choice. I can see the point about controllable torque, I know my old ultima was really squirrelly under throttle back in the old days of nicads and kyosho mod motors. The ST-1 is certainly cheap enough if I go that route, I'm just hoping they don't discontinue it since it's an older design. I think I might be able to swing a Hyper 8.5 and a cheap .21 also. Whichever way I go, I do plan on spending some time at the track before making a purchase. The good thing is that it's only a 20 minute ride from home and racing should be starting next month. I don't really see myself being a points contender, but I love running laps and having some competition would be nice for a change......and if I buy a good 1/8th truggy/buggy, I imagine it would be a pretty decent basher if the racing doesn't pan out, right?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM
qaiz

Nitros make fablous bashers, you just need to refuel and run.

As for the Hyper 8.5 and racing.

Head over to your local track and ask for input by the local drivers, thats the way I learnt.

Also, whatever you do, get a quality product. As for the St 1, there has only been 1 dissappointed owner on these forums to my knowledge, the other 500 are all satisfied.. For the price, its impossible to do better IMO. They will not discontinue it any time soon, a lot of the top racers run it. Its really a fablous truck, I should know, I got one
Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 PM
acexxxoasis

my .02 if 500 is around your budget may I suggest the CEN matrix TR RTR or matric C1 RTR if you trade in a vehicle you can get them from CEN for 350 and get a few little upgrades and you will have a very good truggy for the money its what I would do in your situation. http://www.cenracing.com/rccarswap.html
Old 03-06-2008, 05:51 PM
pauly6401

I'm sort of the in the same boat. Been in R/C since the early 90s, and just decided to try my hand at racing again. I took my old Losi XXX-S and let her rip. For the first time out in almost 13 years, I learned a lot about preparation, durability, and car setup. The biggest thing I realized was the time/money investment you can get into to be truly competitive. With all the people there rolling around with generators, full trailers, $10-20K or more of equipment, etc. you have to weigh how much you want to get into it. If you can be happy doing ok with say, a good 1/8 buggy and finish in the middle of the B-mains each week, that's cool. Just be prepared to try and keep up with the guys who have a new motor for each race day, new tires for each heat, etc. It parallels full-scale racing a lot more than you would expect.

I agree with the guy who told you to just go check it out one night - talk to people and get an idea for what you are getting into. Most of them will be more than willing to offer tips and give advice. You'll get a good idea of the time and money investment, the most popular/competitive classes, and what appeals to you more.

As for the class - you will probably spend the same $$ whether you go nitro or electric, but for simplicity I would recommend 1/10 Electric Stadium Truck. I used to race that back when I was about 15 and it was manageable. No engine tuning, no pitman, shorter races - just some batteries, a charger, and hope you don't break it!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Furadi

For your budget, The hyper 8.5 is a great buy. That buggy does everything more expensive buggys do and its as tough as can be. You may also consider the RC8 RTR depending on your local tracks engine restrictions. Our track doesn't have a size limit so if someone has an RTR with a .26 or .28 it doesn't matter. I'm thinking about getting the RC8 RTR because it apparently isn't really lacking anything from the FT version. The pros are downgrading there FT RC8's to composite chassis braces and composite shock caps from the RTR. So all your really missing from the FT is carbon fiber radio tray, center diff brace and shock towers, and that stuff is just fluff.

As far as electric vs. nitro. Yes 4wd nitro will be easier to control and is all around a better experience. (IMO) But if you decide to start out with a 2wd mod it will make you a much better driver.