Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

$1500 to spend on r/c

Old 04-09-2003, 08:12 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1500 to spend on r/c

hey i just got my taxes back and after using some for stuff like real car insurance and such i have $1500 bucks and its burning a hole in my pocket.
even though im unemployed..... unemployment checks cover my monthly bills just fine.

so what do i do with it all?
first thing im doing it buying a radio and thats being discussed in another topic.
i think im going with the xs3 ...but lynx 3d/3pk/m8 are still in mind.

so with that being said i have about $1200 bucks

then a starter box ...down to $1100

the guys who drive near me are real big spenders and most have a nice rides from the 3 classes(buggy/mt/on-road) so getting one that everyone else has is kinda hard to do.

im thinking of getting an on-road to start out with cause ive always had off road.

prolly the tc3 for usual reason like local support and price.

either the savage or tmaxx(dont bother with debating ive heard it 100 times)

and a 1/8th buggy but that alone can consume all my money in one shopping trip.

So for all you buggy owners, heres your chance to pimp your goods?
ive read the topics and threads.
in my budget kanai is out so obviously its between
mugen
kyosho
ofna

well im done dreaming for now....once my girlfriend gets here she will have it all spent on a trip to cancun or something.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:56 PM
kevetz99
My Feedback: (3)

Ha ha, ur lucky!
Old 04-09-2003, 01:08 PM
droopy316

$1100 is more than enough to get you started
Old 04-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Polobear

I have been really eyeballing the XS-3, too. It feels very comfortable in my hand and I'm in love with the idea of no more crystals--EVER!

Assuming you go that route, please post a brief review on it! I am saving for a new radio and unless I hear some awful news about that one, it's where I'm headed so please let us know what you think!

Personally I'd probably use the money for a 1/8 buggy and set it up right (which would probably kill 1000), leaving 100 for spare parts, etc..

pb
Old 04-09-2003, 04:51 PM
packfan88

ok heres the deal on the 1/8th scale buggies

only buggy owners respond
mugen mbk-4xr works
ofna 9.5 pro
kyosho mp 7.5 or mp 7.5 sport

the mp 7.5 sport(with an engine) is less expensive then the mp 7.5 and i was wondering the difference.

these 4 are all about the same price giev or take $50
anyone have some input.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:27 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

if you want serious questions answered, talk to Todd about the mugen or Buggies_R_Us, they both own one. That would be your best bet.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:09 PM
rc10gt-RCU

Packfan I have run the 9.5 and the MBX R2 from OFNA and I liked both of them. I chose to purchase the r2 because I felt it handled a little better and I like the pillow ball suspension, and it is lighter than the 9.5. The MBX R2 is a very nice buggy and its not too expensive. I have read many threads on the buggies and most people seem to think that OFNA makes junk buggies. I disagree. My MBX is very reliable and I have yet to break a part. The R2 is 80% assembled but you get to put in your choice of motor and radio. It is a very nice kit in my opinion. The track in my area is dominated by the OFNA buggies. I have seen the Mugen run also and it is a very nice buggy too. I think if its your first one you can't go wrong with the OFNA buggies and I would choose the R2 because of the price difference. It will leave you enough left over for a fantastic radio and motor. There are other great buggies out there, (IE. Mugen, Kyosho) but I think you would be very happy with the MBX and you will really like the price tag. Just don't let the price fool you because this isn't a piece of junk. Sorry for being so long.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:46 PM
caseyddr

Originally posted by rc10gt
Packfan I have run the 9.5 and the MBX R2 from OFNA and I liked both of them. I chose to purchase the r2 because I felt it handled a little better and I like the pillow ball suspension, and it is lighter than the 9.5. The MBX R2 is a very nice buggy and its not too expensive. I have read many threads on the buggies and most people seem to think that OFNA makes junk buggies. I disagree. My MBX is very reliable and I have yet to break a part. The R2 is 80% assembled but you get to put in your choice of motor and radio. It is a very nice kit in my opinion. The track in my area is dominated by the OFNA buggies. I have seen the Mugen run also and it is a very nice buggy too. I think if its your first one you can't go wrong with the OFNA buggies and I would choose the R2 because of the price difference. It will leave you enough left over for a fantastic radio and motor. There are other great buggies out there, (IE. Mugen, Kyosho) but I think you would be very happy with the MBX and you will really like the price tag. Just don't let the price fool you because this isn't a piece of junk. Sorry for being so long.
This whole thing just reminded me of English class.. OMG and thats exactly the stuff I want to forget... Simple sentence madness! ahhhhh
Old 04-09-2003, 09:54 PM
packfan88

rc10gt i didnt think it was long i liked the info.

but isnt the mbxr2 the lower end of ofna buggies? yeah the price is low, but i have a little extra cash so the other ofna models arent out of my range.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:56 PM
caseyddr

Originally posted by packfan88
rc10gt i didnt think it was long i liked the info.

but isnt the mbxr2 the lower end of ofna buggies? yeah the price is low, but i have a little extra cash so the other ofna models arent out of my range.

You've heard the rumors about the lower end ofna 1/8's buggies though, they are built horribly and break constantly. You have the money, you shouldn't even be considering an Ofna at this point :O You said you are thinking about onraod, what about a nice serpent impulse or M2
Old 04-09-2003, 10:03 PM
packfan88

well if i get a good buggy i wont be able to afford a serpent or ms....just a $250-300 on-road.

does anyone know the different between the

kyosho mp 7.5 sport and the kyosho mp 7.5?
Old 04-09-2003, 10:05 PM
caseyddr

Originally posted by packfan88
well if i get a good buggy i wont be able to afford a serpent or ms....just a $250-300 on-road.

does anyone know the different between the

kyosho mp 7.5 sport and the kyosho mp 7.5?
Why dont you look on ebay for good deals on used buggies? They are just as nice, and you dont have to spend the extra 300-600$.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:58 PM
nitro 4-tec

Default koyosho infernos sports

my personal opinion i like the infernos sports edition its if i had the money i would by that
Old 04-09-2003, 11:04 PM
hoodiegadoo

I am getting a ofna hyper 7 on monday so i'll give you a review of that when i get it rollin.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:14 AM
kolorkraft

Default HPI MT racer

go with the racer and pile the TITANIUM on it one of the best handling 4wd on the market not to mention fun also. being i also have hyper 7 and the mt what a combination.

http://www.frantec.com.au/forums/index.php
Old 04-10-2003, 12:40 AM
hoodiegadoo

Default Re: HPI MT racer

Originally posted by kolorkraft
go with the racer and pile the TITANIUM on it one of the best handling 4wd on the market not to mention fun also. being i also have hyper 7 and the mt what a combination.

http://www.frantec.com.au/forums/index.php
Do you like that hyper 7? Could you give me a little review on it....your likes and dislikes, etc? I'd apreciate it.....
Old 04-10-2003, 12:48 AM
kolorkraft

i personally like the 7 pro not the pbs the 7 is real easy to set up and real durable. the motor i have is the rb 7 and i love that motor also real easy to tune and runs all the time very dependable when racing. the pbs there is alot of adjustment in the pillow balls to get it to handle, really better no what you are doing. the only week link i found was the shock towers bent but it barrel rolled about 59 times too other than that it is a great buggy.........
Old 04-10-2003, 01:15 AM
rc10gt-RCU

You've heard the rumors about the lower end ofna 1/8's buggies though, they are built horribly and break constantly. You have the money, you shouldn't even be considering an Ofna at this point :O You said you are thinking about onraod, what about a nice serpent impulse or M2
CaseyDDR, I read your posts all of the time and most of the time you have valuable input but once in a while you post about something you don't own. Rumors is all you are basing your information on. If you have never driven a OFNA buggy or better yet owned one, then keep your comments to yourself. I am speaking from experience and my buggy is very reliable along with all of the other racers at my track. They all run OFNA's and they hold up very well.

Packfan88: The 9.5, hyper 7, and MBX R2 all hold up very well and are good buggies. They aren't the best but they are very good and you wouldn't be disappointed. Whatever you decide you will enjoy the 1:8 scale.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:18 AM
caseyddr

CaseyDDR, I read your posts all of the time and most of the time you have valuable input but once in a while you post about something you don't own. Rumors is all you are basing your information on. If you have never driven a OFNA buggy or better yet owned one, then keep your comments to yourself. I am speaking from experience and my buggy is very reliable along with all of the other racers at my track. They all run OFNA's and they hold up very well.

Packfan88: The 9.5, hyper 7, and MBX R2 all hold up very well and are good buggies. They aren't the best but they are very good and you wouldn't be disappointed. Whatever you decide you will enjoy the 1:8 scale.
i dont need to own something to state what most owners complain about. Jus because I dont own a viper doesnt mean i dont know what kinda power it puts out.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:29 AM
rcharry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

What about a GS Storm pro, i just picked one up and there awsome, put a RB WS7, 2 hitec servos and your radio, you got a racing machine!
Old 04-10-2003, 01:30 AM
rc10gt-RCU

You are correct, but I do own an ofna and I posted that I haven't had any problems nor the people I race with. So I don't believe that MOST ofna owners complain about it because I know several who never complain. I know it's not the best but I think it's a great deal for the price. He could get himself another R/C car or truck with the left over money. He would have a good buggy and possibly another car.

Another thing, your second post did nothing for Packfans question. That's fine with me if you didn't like the way I typed up my first post but keep your rude comments to yourself!
Old 04-10-2003, 01:33 AM
caseyddr

You are correct, but I do own an ofna and I posted that I haven't had any problems nor the people I race with. So I don't believe that MOST ofna owners complain about it because I know several who never complain. I know it's not the best but I think it's a great deal for the price. He could get himself another R/C car or truck with the left over money. He would have a good buggy and possibly another car.

Another thing, your second post did nothing for Packfans question. That's fine with me if you didn't like the way I typed up my first post but keep your rude comments to yourself!
neither does you flaming me but hey! what do i know anyways with what he originally posted hes looking for a "hiqher quality" buggy, not dissing ofna, jus saying they arent up to par so to say to the mugens.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:45 AM
rc10gt-RCU

I'm not trying to flame you I am just stating my opinion. I felt like your second post was a flame towards me. Anyways I agree the Mugen is a better buggy and higher quality. I just think if he buys an OFNA then he could buy another r/c car. I wish i could afford two new r/c cars/trucks. Of course it would be really nice to have a high quality buggy with a fast motor.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:29 AM
packfan88

i never said ofna was low quality or i didnt calssify them as oen i wont get.

i said.......isnt the mbx r2 is the lower end of the ofna models?

i know ofna owners too and they have no complaints.

dont ruin my thread with a war of words. your both WRONG and your both RIGHT so shad up about it

so back to the kyosho and kyosho sport .....whats the difference?
anything besides one come with and engine and one doesnt? there must be cause the one with the engine is cheaper than the one with out but i cant seem to find out what they are.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:04 AM
rc10gt-RCU

Your right Packfan. I am going to do some checking and find out what the differences are. I will post back here with my findings. I am jealous that you have that money to spend. I wish I did.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.