Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

man deciding on a buggy is a huge debate

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

man deciding on a buggy is a huge debate

Old 04-23-2003, 01:50 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default man deciding on a buggy is a huge debate

after a few weeks of research im still as lost a sthe other 3-4 people also looking at a 1/8th buggy.

kyosho and ofna have to go and screw things up by offering 4+ 1/8th buggies for you to choose from.

its so friggan confusing my head is going to explode.

is the kyosho kanai in a class of its own as far as performance goes?
it seems to be for price so what justifies that?
well i know i wont be buyig the kanai because of the price.

whats the deal with ofna and there many models?
whats the ofna speed 9.5?

jeez this is killing my brain and my lungs from siting here smoking cigs with 5 ie's open clicking back and forth.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:20 AM
Rob D

Im looking too and i like the ofna hyper 7 pbs but has crappy radio .. the Gs storm looks good.

good raido too im leaning towards it .. i have read they had a few problems when it came out but they are supposed to be corrected now
Old 04-23-2003, 02:28 AM
jbjustin33415

Just buy whatever has the best local parts support. Or buy whatever your wallet can handle. When I bought my 1/8 I bought it used, and its an older model TT mirage, but it still performs like most of the buggies out there now, except for the competition ones of course.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:42 AM
speedracer0_7

if you're thinking of racing at the track the k2 is the bomb. it does not leave room for excuses as to equipment. kyosho has superior plastic as well as metal parts such as steering knuckles and universals. the gs storm rtr is a good buggy 4 beginners because it offers a fm radio and a halfass steering servo about 70 or 80 oz. .16 speed. i've seen marty korn beat greg degani with one about a month or two ago and everyone at the track was appluding. first time i've seen that in 20 years of racing. they were going at it toe to toe for the last 10 minutes of the race
Old 04-23-2003, 07:50 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

The Storm is the buggy to get, I am sure of it after doing some serious research. I would have reservations about any other RTR except the Storm, like said earlier, it even comes with a decent high-torque steering servo! No stone was left unturned with the storm as far as I can see, not a sigle glaring defect or substandard part. I cant say that about any other RTR.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:11 PM
packfan88

im not worried about an radio cause im buying the xs3 anyway for the crystalless features

im not concerned about parts support.

the k2 is out cause of price.

todd you really like the storm? if you were to buy your over would you buy the storm or still choose the mugen?

anything you dont like about the storm?
Old 04-24-2003, 10:33 PM
DSA.308

Yes I really think the storm is by far the best sub 550 RTR. It doesn't compare with my Mugen, but I bet it isn't far behind. I would definitely consider getting it if I couldn't or didn't want to spent 1,500+ again for the Mugen....

You might consider just getting the RTR it comes with a computer JR XR3 radio!

There isnt a single thing I dont like about the Storm GS...it comes with a High tourque steering servo for the love of God!
Old 04-24-2003, 10:37 PM
packfan88

yeah i know thats as rare as a kit these days.

what kinda input on the handling?
will an aftermarket engine allow it to hang with the mugen? or is it more than the engine that make the mugen?

anyone know the gs racing website?
Old 04-25-2003, 12:41 AM
old skool

The Mugen XR Works is just as capable at a track as the overpriced Kanai, and so what if it didn't win any world's races, it has tons of goodies and is an excellent value. Even more so now that Mugen is preparing to release the MBX-5...
Old 04-25-2003, 12:48 AM
packfan88

thanks old school but i was more interested in finding more about the storm ......trust me ive heard and read tons about the mugen and kanai ....the kanai is out of my price range.
the mugen might not be but if i can get somethign close i would be perfectly happy.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:56 AM
rcharry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

BRO, get the storm PRO, that will slove all your problems. Then you can put in your own radio, engine, servos and eveything. And if your lhs has parts for it, get it. They really dont break often anyway. I think the handaling is great, i put a Hitec mg645 in mine and a hi speed for throttle. Fill the diffs too. I just put in a thread just for storms, Check it out when peeps start posting!
Old 04-25-2003, 01:09 AM
packfan88

whats diff between pro and rtr?
Old 04-25-2003, 01:11 AM
rcharry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

check the storm thread explaned it all!
Old 04-25-2003, 01:30 AM
DSA.308

Yes, you can put any .21 you want in the Storm GS, and certainly that would include one that could surely keep up with the Mugen, Although the engine isnt the only thing that the Mugen might have that is better. The mugen is really on the Kanai 2 level even on the chassis level without the price tag, and it doesnt come with a engine. I just think alot of people end up putting high end engines in the Mugen because of all the money they saved over the Kanai 2 kit.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:14 AM
speedracer0_7

only about 50 bucks difference in price. i got my k2 about 2 or 3 months ago at elite for 609.00 ultimate sells them 4 610. the mugens go 4 about 550. the regular k1 goes 4 about 500 at ultimate. the current nitro magazine has a review of all nine rtr buggies on the market
Old 04-25-2003, 04:22 AM
DSA.308

Ace has Mugens for 439.....Opps. I just looked and everyone is out of stock on the Mugens.

Are the Mugen MBX-XR Works that are left on ebay and such really selling for 550$?!??!!?!??!

Come to think of it I have seen a couple auctions where Mugens NIB were selling for over 500 on ebay recently... :stupid:
Old 04-25-2003, 04:34 AM
speedracer0_7

yeah, probably trying to get rid of old stock the mbx5 is supposed 2 be released soon. did u ditch a kyosho 4 a mugen todd, i thought i saw u selling some kyosho parts
Old 04-25-2003, 04:42 AM
DSA.308

The only Kyosho I had was the 1/8th motorcycle.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:49 AM
speedracer0_7

hey todd i've got a rex p5 long stroke modified by pat fox brand new for 325.00 if you're interested
Old 11-22-2003, 05:43 PM
canadian_411

Default RE: man deciding on a buggy is a huge debate

I will make it EZ FOR YOU..... or as ez as i can.... if u arn't racing and u just want something to bash with killer speed get the OFNA LX PRO.... which i am selling and this goes like 45 miles (at least mine does) some may not.... if you are looking to race you need a .21 engine so go for the Hyper 7 with PBR.. or i think that is it the initials may be wrong but u get my drift.... if u want and are looking i got a mint condition on only ran for break-in then 1 extra run OFNA LX PRO for sale.... if u want a basher this is perfect and in mint condition.... e-mail me at [email protected] i am looking for a hopped up NTC3 or street car with some killer mods..
Old 11-22-2003, 06:28 PM
studysession

Kyosho is top of the line. Can't get better quality than it is just my opinion. As for the Mugens - I am not a mugen fan myself. Has good name, but After seeing so many people with them at the track and how they perform. I would not buy one for myself even though I don't see anything majorly wrong with it. Just not for me.

If you want to save money and still have a good basher or race then:
Go for the OFNA - If you want hop-ups or replacement parts - over all they are cheaper. I think the Hyper 7 is the best OFNA buggy out there. I picked up 3 different magazines today. (Maxbashing RC magzine - Radio Control Car Racer - Radio Race Car International) they all show different national and international races where the Hyper 7 is in one of the top 3 winning slots. I have had a Hyper 7 PBS myself and loved it. Sold it and when i get me something new, it will most likely be the Hyper 7 Pro kit.

All this is JMO - I know the people who swear by the Mugens will want to bash saying they are better. But that is why there are so many different cars out there. Different car for different people.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:15 PM
ProRCRacer21

Mugen, Mugen, Mugen, Get the Mbx-5, it is an awesome car. From personal experience it is an all around great car, it has awesome power and acceleration and can steer extremely well. At my local track at least 5 people have bought the Mbx-5 just from watching me race it, even those people who are just starting out.
I am very hard on my car but i use it for race purposes only. I used to have a kyosho and i would bend dogbones and warp other things all of the time. The mugen just is way more durable. It's a tank and then some. Trust me, if you saw me drive this car you would want one so bad. Its just a spectacular car.
good luck with your decision.
Ryan
Old 12-02-2003, 05:03 PM
crazzyguydj

hyper 7 pro OS VZ B engine JR radio system... works great for me
Old 12-02-2003, 05:10 PM
TheQuakeKing
My Feedback: (23)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a nitro evader bx for $215. 12 tanks.