Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Direct drive, twin brushless car project. Ideas and questions...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Direct drive, twin brushless car project. Ideas and questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:56 PM
RetroRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct drive, twin brushless car project. Ideas and questions...

Ok guys, im in the process of designing and building prototypes of my new project car here are the current features, and possible variations.

2 wheel drive

Two 3.5t Brushless motors

No differential, front or rear.

Direct drive from the motors to, 1 spur gear or maybe 2 spurs on the rear axle.

free unconnected front axles.

two lipo batteries - specs pending

Speed controllers? what do i need 1 or 2, if i have 2 how do i wire them both to the radio gear? adn how i make sure theyre both perfectly sync'd

The rear tyres i have made are currently 4 inches wide , and connect to the axles with one large hex nut on the inside of the wheel and a smaller one on the outside.

ok there are loads of voids and they all need filling so please, give some feedback and input.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:56 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: Direct drive, twin brushless car project. Ideas and questions...

Whats the point? One bigger brushless motor is better in price, performance, and efficiency.

You need two ESC's connected to the same radio channel with a Y harness. If the ESCs have internal BECs you need to pull the red radio plug wire from one of the ESCs to disable it. You cannot perfectly sync the motors unless they have the same shaft, even the little bit of play that a pinion-spur-pinion connection has is not close enough. The batteries are the same deal as the motors.........why buy two instead of one big one? If you really want two you should wire them in series or in parallel, do not hook them up separately to separate ESCs.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Access

I tried something before with outrunners, a single outrunner that would direct drive a single rear drive wheel, then use the two non-drive wheels in front for steering. The drive wheel was just a touring car wheel on a prop mount, and it had some problems with balance but otherwise could accelerate very quickly once you got past some initial cogging. Top speed was limited, ~40mph tops. A workable idea at least in concept, but you really need two motors, the three-wheel concept just wasn't working out for me.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:51 PM
RetroRacer

Cheers guys, your kinda both on the same wavelength as me on this one then, so many options.

i tried a proto out today, with two 12turn motors, as a proof of concept. God its rapid. There was so much torque and a hell of a lot of wheelie.

This is worrying, unless i used extremely gentle throttle movement it would just flip onto its roof. But the top speed was nothing incredible. 40mph max.

I did however find something iv never seen on a rc car... tire smoke! not much but nontheless, scary!

as for bigger motors, i know nothing of anything 540 size and over. please enlighten me guys. i also gather the voltage will be different, and there would be considerably more torque steer.

ok so 2 ESCs, for 2 motors which will not be sync'd unless the use the same shaft, which i gather will put some strain on the shaft as it will twist slightly at high rpm.

as for 2 batteries i had the idea of putting a cooling element between the batteries. and a larger battery would be more expensive?

My body shell is coming along well, its a bit like a serpent body but a better balance between downforce and looks. well in my opinion

cheers guys.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 PM
savagecommander

12t with no speed? gear up man