Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Vent about rc cars you regret buying..

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Vent about rc cars you regret buying..

Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Anomie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vent about rc cars you regret buying..

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I believe MT is correct, won't be too much longer before someone talks about a vehicle and says that the brand is garbage. Then the people who like that brand will call that person an idiot or something and it'll turn into a screaming battle. I've seen too many threads like this turn bad like that.
Well, any thread can turn south with the right attitude at work, but this seems like a good idea. Sometimes it's fun to learn what others have had frustration with. Personally, I have had nothing but non-running vehicles for so long that I don't even remember what they looked like when they were out in the yard!

I'm just slow with the work, and that's not a problem with the cars [&:]
Old 05-09-2008, 08:25 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Well, considering my experience with my cars and trucks that I have bought have been nominal to great, I do not regret buying them.

However, I do have ill feelings for buying an engine brand, STS. I own two of them and I am amazed that these engines run due to their horible quality. My own pesonal experience with STS (a D28M, my first STS engine) is massive air leaks in the carb. The carb was so terribly machined that it leaked air though it like a screen door leaking water into a submarine. No matter how muct RTV I threw at that D28M, it wwill run away from that air leak. And this was not an isolated event. Whwn I bought my D28M, my neighbor and I each bought one and they both came in the same box in the mail. Both engines ran away from air leaks. I searched the net for possible fixes that othe STS owners might have and I was shocked to discovr that many other STS owners suffered the same air leak problems. The only recourse in this case was for us to call STS to demand a poperly machined carb.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 AM
MT

To add to the discussion. I also had a Double Dare, it is was a piece of poop. I had loads of RC back in the day, and the only one I really had any problems with was an off brand Nitro. It would not run, and there were no parts avaible for it. Oh yeah, I also had a Frog that would go through the dogbones like crazy, I think it was eating diffs too?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 AM
slayerphonics

Traxxas Revo,

The truck has been fun, I jumped it 40ft+ over and over, it landed in all kinds of plastic crushing ways, but the motor.. oh my the motor. worse engine experience ever. that engine actually de-learned me on how to tune.

Next would be the Dragonfly Walker 22e helicopter, total garbage.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Argess

Also, not really a regret, but the Baja 5B isn't much fun (for me). After a few mods, it became too reliable, too easy to run, too "perfect", so the challenge is gone. I'd like HPI to put out a smaller version with a fussy nitro engine I can play with.
It's so funny you said that, because I feel the same way. People kept saying the when you went 1/5 scale, you don't go back and that I would sell all of my nitros and buy more 1/5 scale. The 5B is probably the only 1/5 scale I will own. It is a really sweet car, but since I can't get it on the track and I don't have great bashing spots it hasn't been driven much.

I thought I was the only one. I also like messing with tuning nitros. I don't regret buying the 5B, I just wouldn't buy another one.

I regret buying a damn Tamiya Lunchbox right before the re-release came out. Lunchboxes NIB were getting over $400 before the re-release and I paid a little under $300 for one. Now they are only worth half or less of that. You have to be very careful buying Tamiyas right now, because the re-releases dump the value of the collectors. Frogs, Grasshoppers and Hornets are the same way. Frogs were getting up to $500 or more for NIB, now classic NIBs go for half.

If they re-release a Blackfoot, I am going to be PISSED.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Bluebrew
My Feedback: (1)

Like SAVAGEJIM and others, I generally do some reseach before buying anything so I have no real regrets. I DID banish a Tmaxx for months once because me and that engine didn't get along. I'm no nitro noob and have lots of sweet runners but that engine constantly overheated, shut off and you couldn't start it again till it cooled. I've heard this exact same issue from many Traxxas owners so I wrote it off as a dud engine. Finally being tired of seeing a $400 piece just collecting dust I tossed a 18TM in it(along with some beef up goodies) and gave it a new lease on life. Then I ran it so much that the TM is about worn out!

Dale, I think there are a lot of us who prefer nitros to gas. It's mostly about the engine for me and those gas 2 strokes are so ho-hum everyday stuff! Heck, around here there's an Amish girl sportin' a weedwacker everywhere you look! That and nitros just SCREAM!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 AM
TheTruckingGuru

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline

ORIGINAL: Frozen72

Team Losi Mini-LST

The weakest diffs ever made. Even with the Mini-LST2 ones people are still stripping them and servo upgrades range around $100.
I had a MLST2 and it was gone about a week later, after dumping a ton of money in to center diff upgrades, brushless system and other parts, complete junk, its a toy, which should be sold at walmart.
Well said. If only our politicians were this honest and straight forward. Mine is also brushless and heavily upgraded. Diffs were bad enough but I actually snapped an axle on mine. My diffs held up well enough to normal bashing but an accident did the diffs in. Fun little truck, easy to clean, and looks cool but replacing parts all the time is annoying. Diffs seem to be a major weak point in Team Losi cars.
[/quote]
This has nothing to do with that specific car, lol. You just got bored with onroad. Why not drift with it?
[/quote] Drifting is fun. Even though mine is stock and slow, I prefer my Tail Whip over much faster on road cars.
[/quote]
Also, not really a regret, but the Baja 5B isn't much fun (for me). After a few mods, it became too reliable, too easy to run, too "perfect", so the challenge is gone. I'd like HPI to put out a smaller version with a fussy nitro engine I can play with.
[/quote] I like my Baja SS. But it is not the final word in RC. Its a fun and reliable RC car. You have to go out of your way to "upgrade" it even when it does not need it. But I continue to have fun with easy to use electrics; and just as much fun tuning and working with more complicated Nitros.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Wisconsin Nitro

ORIGINAL: Gex_61

ORIGINAL: Wisconsin Nitro

the team losi xxx-s

got it for a bday present and it was that or a revo and i was like i all ready have 2 nitro MT why do i need another? and i thought a street racer would be fun but after the first 10 minutes of not being able to do anything besides going up and down the street and power sliding that was it for me and now the torn apart chassis sits in a box some were
This has nothing to do with that specific car, lol. You just got bored with onroad. Why not drift with it?
well the thread said vent about cars you REGRET buyign and i regret getting it so yeah

and with th econdition its in now i would be better off just going and buying the losi drift-r
Old 05-09-2008, 02:00 PM
experimental_pilot

Traxxas Stampede. Will never own an electric again.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Troopermanaic
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: experimental_pilot

Traxxas Stampede. Will never own an electric again.
strange electric traxxas vehicles seem to be the best quality electric out there, though I know where you are comeing from, I basically destroyed my batteries because of heat, the car was slow, not long run life even with new batteries. And everyone questions me why did I go nitro rather then brushless.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM
adam-69

if engines are allowed in this discussion then i nominate the cen - nx26. my first buggy was an rtr cen matrix with this paperweight driving it along. it was horrible, i thought it had a nice tune until like 1 month after getting it it went ca-poop and seized, for no reason [&:] wasn't lean or anything. i (being a noob) got the pliers out and cranked it over with the flywheel, and started to run it again . then it eventually died and was replaced with a go. engine. OK so you may be thinking user error? i bumped into the cen Ireland rep at the grp Irish challenge and he got the engine replaced for free just cause it was a free engine.. so i tried to break it in a couple of months ago (it had no pinch..) and as it started the temperature rocketed to 280 degrees in seconds, and that was running super rich break in settings. i thought i had an air leak so checked and sealed the whole engine and tried again..same thing [:@]. so far the engine has two tanks through it ha ha.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Gereke

I regret the first R/C truck I ever bought.. A Kyosho Sandmaster ST-2 ARR.. What a pile of poop that was, nothing but problems from the start.. However I will admit that SOME of the problems were operator induced.. but others- no matter how hard I tried to fix them, remained. In contrast, the same time I bought the ST-2, my friend bought a Kyosho Nitro Pro ST- that was a good truck, and with the O.S motor he put it int.. screamed. Ahh the nostalgia...

From time to time I regret buying my Savage. Not that it isn't a great truck, but I'm starting to get the urge to race.. Sometimes think I should have bought something that would serve a duo purpose basher/club racer... (But I refuse to buy a Revo because I can't stand Traxxas's asinine way of marketing their products.... nothing against the truck- but the company.)

Thinking about selling it and getting a Muggy :P

Old 05-18-2008, 12:03 PM
nubzorz

i regret buying a redcat lightning sv the thing is all tuned and runs like crap cant even drive it some people tell me its to rich then sombody will say na its to lean its neither all the settings are correct the motor just came messed up on it idk what redcat was thinking when they built my car
Old 05-18-2008, 12:28 PM
thedr
Banned

What a waste of good server space.
I have yet to see a single posting here in which someone wasn't bashing a RTR vehicle, and most of them very cheaps ones.
To me it goes back to the old expression, "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!"
Old 05-18-2008, 12:32 PM
thedr
Banned

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble
I regret buying a damn Tamiya Lunchbox right before the re-release came out. Lunchboxes NIB were getting over $400 before the re-release and I paid a little under $300 for one. Now they are only worth half or less of that. You have to be very careful buying Tamiyas right now, because the re-releases dump the value of the collectors. Frogs, Grasshoppers and Hornets are the same way. Frogs were getting up to $500 or more for NIB, now classic NIBs go for half.

If they re-release a Blackfoot, I am going to be PISSED.
LOL- I guess that's what happens when one invests their money in TOYS relative to a real marketable product or good that has some expection of growing via interest or economic growth.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Traxxas nitro sport, after I tried everything I litterally left it ou in the rain. When I sold it the guy told me it was cracked fuel tubing that made the engine not work. WHO CHECKS FOR CRACKED FUEL TUBING?! Way to go traxxas.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:21 PM
koastal

Well I have to say I am a bit upset by the feedback on the Losi MLST. I just bought it today as my first ever RC off eBay after scouring the internet and reading stacks of good reviews !!!! And I live in Cambodia so parts are going to be a real issue.

bugger

k
Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Reiko

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I believe MT is correct, won't be too much longer before someone talks about a vehicle and says that the brand is garbage. Then the people who like that brand will call that person an idiot or something and it'll turn into a screaming battle. I've seen too many threads like this turn bad like that.
Well, any thread can turn south with the right attitude at work, but this seems like a good idea. Sometimes it's fun to learn what others have had frustration with. Personally, I have had nothing but non-running vehicles for so long that I don't even remember what they looked like when they were out in the yard!

I'm just slow with the work, and that's not a problem with the cars [&:]
Yup Reiko. I spent alot of time reading and admiring your build. Then you dropped me like a hot rock and quit !! For that, I can never forgive you ..... lol
Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM
zjwhitrock

ORIGINAL: koastal

Well I have to say I am a bit upset by the feedback on the Losi MLST. I just bought it today as my first ever RC off eBay after scouring the internet and reading stacks of good reviews !!!! And I live in Cambodia so parts are going to be a real issue.

bugger

k
I would luv to see were you saw good feedback on the mlst
Old 05-29-2008, 02:43 PM
ozium

ORIGINAL: zjwhitrock
I would luv to see were you saw good feedback on the mlst
My MLST2 ran fine when it was stock but when I installed an 8000kv brushless the sloppy steering became more evident, and it started stripping gears. But after 4 months of alternately hating/loving my MLST2 and about $300 in mods I finally have enough upgrades so it doesn't destroy itself on every pack. Now it's one of my favorite trucks.

It has a locked center spool but the f/r diffs are stock. I guess I've been lucky with those diffs - they're not shimmed or anything. Most of my problems have been with stripped pinion/spur gears, but I got the Hot Racing metal spur and metal pinion and now it seems bulletproof. Metal on metal makes a really cool sound too. Steering problem solved by Exotec / Hitec combo. Weak axles were replaced with titanium...plus a few other things...

It was a lot of work and heartbreak and the MLST is a REAL PAIN to work on, but in the end I have a pretty solid little truck now.

Sorry this post isn't about a truck that I hate....but I used to hate it...a lot.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM
ProStreetCamaro

I can honestly say that I cant vent because they have all been good. Now on the other hand I have never owned a traxxas anything which is why I cant vent. Im sure had i ever owned anything traxxas I would be able to vent up a storm.

That should get some feather ruffled up.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:56 PM
fm2h3

KOASTAL Just try not to drive to hard on it and it will last longer
Old 05-29-2008, 05:59 PM
fm2h3

I have been wondering, it has always been a big battle between the MLST2 and the RC18MT after reading these reveiws and all the reveiws of people with RC18MTs that have never broken a single part for like a year of owning them. How can the MLST2 compare?????
Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 PM
ozium

I have an MLST2 and an RC18B and I don't have a single complaint about the RC18. The only thing I like about the MLST2 better than the RC18 is that the MSLT is heavy - it feels solid when you hold it in your hand. But that means impacts are a lot harder and more breakage occurs. The RC18 feels light and almost flimsy compared to the MLST, but it hardly ever breaks.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
fm2h3

ORIGINAL: ozium

I have an MLST2 and an RC18B and I don't have a single complaint about the RC18. The only thing I like about the MLST2 better than the RC18 is that the MSLT is heavy - it feels solid when you hold it in your hand. But that means impacts are a lot harder and more breakage occurs. The RC18 feels light and almost flimsy compared to the MLST, but it hardly ever breaks.
Team Associated Knows how to make things. [8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.