Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Vent about rc cars you regret buying..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Vent about rc cars you regret buying..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:41 PM
HoaRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vent about rc cars you regret buying..

Vent about rc cars you regret buying..or complain about deceptive marketing tricks... feel free to bad mouth a brand and let your opinionated opinions loose..
Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Troopermanaic
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Vent about rc cars you regret buying..

I dont know what you really mean but if you are trying to say that RC parts are WAY overpriced then I agree.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

I think this thread has been done a few times before but I'll bite anyway. The Kyosho Blizzard and Kyosho Hyperfly were two of the biggest pieces of junk I've ever owned. The Blizzard has a design flaw which makes the front of the chassis bend under normal use, and the Hyperfly was like trying to fly a brick.

As for marketing, I'm not crazy about the way Traxxas markets their vehicles. They market them based on their top speed. Problem is that they way overgear them to get to the mph numbers they're looking to put on the box. My brother has a Stampede XL5, and it came with two pinion gears (like many Traxxas vehicles). The smaller gear comes installed, but to get the advertised top speed you must put the larger pinion on. However the problem is that the truck is already overgeared with the smaller pinion gear. That is the reason why so many people have problems with the Traxxas brushed motors burning up so quickly. It's due to overheating resulting from overgearing.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Frozen72

Team Losi Mini-LST

The weakest diffs ever made. Even with the Mini-LST2 ones people are still stripping them and servo upgrades range around $100.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Frozen72

Team Losi Mini-LST

The weakest diffs ever made. Even with the Mini-LST2 ones people are still stripping them and servo upgrades range around $100.
I'll vouch for my freind thinking the same way. Brand new, he gassed it and it stripped all the gears. What a pos! He put all the "fast" motors in it and it was still a dog. Losi should be ashamed of that thing. I like my micro, it was faster than his mini LST.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Chris_RC

mini-baja. Once I removed my pinion gears to get an Orion Baja motor it when bad. Couldn't get the mesh right, bad things happened.

WOOO HOO!!!!!!!! My 700th post!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 PM
MT

What’s the point?
If you bad mouth a brand, you are going to piss someone off, and then this thread will get locked.

I am not against this thread, I am commenting on some people's overwhelming brand loyalty.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

the team losi xxx-s

got it for a bday present and it was that or a revo and i was like i all ready have 2 nitro MT why do i need another? and i thought a street racer would be fun but after the first 10 minutes of not being able to do anything besides going up and down the street and power sliding that was it for me and now the torn apart chassis sits in a box some were
Old 05-08-2008, 09:40 PM
DriftingDragon

my dark impact it doesnt work
Old 05-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: MT

What’s the point?
If you bad mouth a brand, you are going to piss someone off, and then this thread will get locked.

I am not against this thread, I am commenting on some people's overwhelming brand loyalty.
I don't see badmouthing in his post. Am I missing it?

Maybe this thread should include custom vehicles. Some of us just can't seem to make them work. Operator error? Hmm...

How do you fire the engineer when it's yourself?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:26 PM
ludeman

Trinity NOW!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 PM
mkiiina

picked up a nitro RS4 3 SS and it was a POS. Never could get it running right and never made it through a full tank of gas as I broke something every time I drove it. Traded it to a buddy and picked up a TC4 (electric ftw) and all has been well!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:34 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most recently I'd have to say it was the Vendetta ST. I found it to be lacking in quality in every area, seemed like a toy.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:34 PM
HoaRC

picked up a nitro RS4 3 SS and it was a POS...never made it through a full tank of gas as I broke something every time I drove it
i've heard that from a frustrated guy at my hobby shop...must be true..
Old 05-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Gex_61

ORIGINAL: Wisconsin Nitro

the team losi xxx-s

got it for a bday present and it was that or a revo and i was like i all ready have 2 nitro MT why do i need another? and i thought a street racer would be fun but after the first 10 minutes of not being able to do anything besides going up and down the street and power sliding that was it for me and now the torn apart chassis sits in a box some were
This has nothing to do with that specific car, lol. You just got bored with onroad. Why not drift with it?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:17 AM
magnat

HPI E10

I rushed in and Bought the HPI E10 as it was raved on about being better then a Tamiya TT-01 for RC Drifting...
So I did

It was slow compared to my TT-01, so I upped the motor to a Tamiya TZ...
Then the whole thing literally fell apart..
1. The Propshaft slapped around so much it actually put chip marks on the chassis
2. the Front Diff free wheels on one side.. so the left hand is powered but the right hand free wheels.. Diff has been rebuilt twice and works fine when installed on the rear of the car, just not on the front..
3. Collar bearing on the bevel gear slides up the propshaft at various intervals leaving you with a Car that has intermittent 4WD
4. I installed a Tamiya TZ and when you gun the go peddle, the Motor Torques the mount out of position and then the pinion chews the spur...
5. the HPI Saturn 27T Roasted after 10 minutes with a 4200mah Battery... the ESC was cold.
The only real good thing about MY E10 was the rims, tyres and Body shell
So yeah I got burned by the E10 and regret buying it..

Please note : This is my personal Experience with the E10 others have made the chassis suceed
Old 05-09-2008, 12:24 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I've heard lots of horror stories about the E10. Sad really, HPI is capable of far better work.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 AM
ranger4x4

i must say i'm quite impressed at the calm cool headed remarks and no brand bashing. my hats off to you guys. my bad rc was a redcat volcano sv. every time i took it out somethign broke on it. but it was my first nitro truck and i had to start somewhere so i got that volcano sv. others have had good luck with their trucks i just think i got a bad one. and i guess using it in the winter didnt help either lol. and before the redcat guys come in and get the wrong idea im not bashing anything they make just my experience with my truck.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:37 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

I would have to say my Double Dare I couldnt stand that thing, it always broke and it was hard to get parts for so I junked it and it always flipped even at slow speed[:@]
Old 05-09-2008, 02:53 AM
Access

Team Losi Mini-LST

Yep. I've always done my research before I buy so I haven't had any other disappointments. But this is the one thing that sits around and gathers dust. It is poorly designed, takes a very long time just to open it up so you can get to the diffs and then they break in 5 minutes or so. I really wanted to make this truck work but it was just a lost cause.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:07 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Reiko

ORIGINAL: MT

What’s the point?

I don't see badmouthing in his post. Am I missing it?

Maybe this thread should include custom vehicles. Some of us just can't seem to make them work. Operator error? Hmm...

How do you fire the engineer when it's yourself?

I believe MT is correct, won't be too much longer before someone talks about a vehicle and says that the brand is garbage. Then the people who like that brand will call that person an idiot or something and it'll turn into a screaming battle. I've seen too many threads like this turn bad like that.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:14 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: drevil

I think this thread has been done a few times before but I'll bite anyway. The Kyosho Blizzard and Kyosho Hyperfly were two of the biggest pieces of junk I've ever owned. The Blizzard has a design flaw which makes the front of the chassis bend under normal use.
They must have upgraded it. My brother bought one recently and has no such problem.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:32 AM
RevToTheRedline
My Feedback: (4)

Team Losi Mini-LST

I had a MLST2 and it was gone about a week later, after dumping a ton of money in to center diff upgrades, brushless system and other parts, complete junk, its a toy, which should be sold at walmart.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:58 AM
SavageX78

I didnt like the mini-t. It seemed to break every time i went to use it. I still cant beleive I put almost 500 bucks into that little sucker.
It was my first and I thought since it was losi it would last a while but it needed upgrades and became a very expensive little truck.
I almost didnt buy my mf2 because of the mini but I did and its alot better than the mini thankfully.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nitro Evader....took a lot of ball differential rebuilds before I figured out a way to keep it from self-destructing.

(I didn't buy it....I helped my son's friend with it, but from what I've seen, I would have had regrets for a while)

Also, not really a regret, but the Baja 5B isn't much fun (for me). After a few mods, it became too reliable, too easy to run, too "perfect", so the challenge is gone. I'd like HPI to put out a smaller version with a fussy nitro engine I can play with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.