Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

after run oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 PM
shoota0075

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after run oil

so today i went to my lhs to pick up some basic things like glow plugs, fuel, AFTER RUN OIL so the guy who i bought the stuff from tells me after oil is a rip off, he says it makes your car hard to start and if you run your car at least 1 time a week you don't need it , now i don't know if this guy is incredably honest and doe's not care about losing his profits from not saling the oil (talking me out of buying it) or he trying to get me to mess up my motor, i know my himoto family will be strait up with me on this ,so i ask you guys , is there any truth to this?.....shoota0075
Old 05-09-2008, 01:07 PM
hrdcoreglf

Default RE: after run oil

I use after run oil at the end of every race day. Don't listen to the LHS.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:20 PM
ranger4x4

i always use after run oil. if you find it hard to start take out the plug turn it upside down and pull a few times to get it out. but they make it for a reason i wont wreck my engine just because the lhs dont like it.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:00 PM
{GBI}Harryball

Ok, First of Ed dont hate me. LOL Shoota there are alot of opinions on afterrun oil. traxxas uses wd-40(this is what i use). Some use tranny fluid, which is about the same as afterrun oil. Other do not use anything at all, because some fuels have it in them. Now to the honest opinion, nitro attracks moisture the longer it sits the more it will collect.(so make sure you empty your tank) You need to displace that moisture. After run oil will do that. So I would say get some, or at least spray the carb intake with wd-40 and pull the glow plug and spray it down aswell. the moisture will kill the motor. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:13 PM
ugly duck

The fuel I am running (sorry, don't remember the brand) says specifically to NOT use after run oil. I have never used after-run oil, and only turn the piston to BDC when I'm done running. When I pulled my motor apart for inspection last week it was covered in a nice film of slick oily substance (thicker than nitro out of the bottle, so something must be evaporating upon cool-down) and everything is shiny and clean inside. I've only run a half gallon of this stuff so I can't say for sure how it'll affect a motor in the long run, but so far so good.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:10 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fuel your talking about is sidewinder, i ALWAYS use after run oil, for the few bucks you just cant go wrong. Harry is right about the moisture, it will kill your engine. Spend the few bucks and get it bro, just cant go wrong
Old 05-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Kodiac400

My LHS said the exact same thing. I use Losi Nitrate 20% and he says that with this fuel you do not need after run oil. I haven't pickup up any after run oil yet but I'm going to. I figure every bit of protection we give the engine the better it will be in the end.

Later
Old 05-09-2008, 09:04 PM
TThib

I have some Hobbico Afterrun oil that I use religiously. However, I will NEVER buy it at the LHS again! I have 2 quarts of it in my garage already, it's called Marvel Mystery Oil. Trust me, it's the same stuff. I did a side by side comparison on glass slides. Same color, smell, consistency, and taste (jk on the taste, didn't try that one)
Old 05-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Redharris

I'm in Favor of after run oil too.
Nitro fuel Wicks Moisture from the air...
Steel parts can form rust Over Night Under the right circumstances. (Probably wont happen THAT fast inside your engine though, but why take a chance.) My guess is that you dont have to use the oil if you are going to Run the Very Next Day. But, If the car is going to Sit for more than 24 hours, its probably a good idea to use the Oil.

This is MY procedure.....
I let the tank run Dry on the Last run of the day. Put the Piston to BDC, and let the engine cool. Then I put 1 or 2 drops in the engine and 1 or 2 drops in the carb and then Pull the Cord a few times to circulate the oil. Then put the piston back to BDC. Replace the Glow Plug. Done.....

Your engine will run VERY Rich for the first 1/2 tank of gas, the next time you run, because you have to burn out the excess oil. By the second tank, you'll be back to normal. If You find your car is hard to start, then use a little less Oil, the next time....

Ugly Duck.....
Nitro Fuel evaporates but leaves a sticky substance behind. That substance eventually turns Waxxy and then HARD.
I know this because I spilled some fuel on the Floor and didnt wipe it up for a few days. I had to SCRAPE that Waxxy crap off my linoleum floor with a razor blade......