Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas is going Walmart.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 AM
rcluke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas is going Walmart.

whats the problem with them being sold at 'normal' shops?

argos sell Tamiya's, e.g. the lunchbox RTR. It is extremely over-priced though.

It should get more people into the hobby, not a bad thing
Old 05-28-2008, 07:01 PM
yoster

ORIGINAL: thedr

ORIGINAL: iamnot

normally, i'd agree with the competition
and lowering quality to keep
costs in check thing

but

face it
rc's are overpriced now

really, what in any rc
makes the vehicle worth $600+?

why do 4 tires
less than 6" in dia
cost $60
when my 1:1 tires
with lots more rubber and steel belts too
sell for $38 each?

why does a piston and sleeve
cost $60
when, say
a brake cylinder for a 1:1 car
is $35

why does a dss radio
cost $200 - $400
when i can buy a complete set
of 3 or 4 cordless phones (same technology)
with an answering machine
for $100 - $150?

i think costs can come down
without
hurting quality

what may suffer is their ability
to send out free parts
for obvious user error

face it
rc's are cheap as dirt now compared to 15 or 20 years ago

what are rc's supposed to cost?
Would you trust something that had the potential to do 50mph that cost less to last any longer than christmas toys do with the kids?

tires cost what they do due to the fact that passenger car tires are sold in millions, while rc car tires only sell in the hundreds

again, put out as many nitro motors as Honda does passenger car motors and I think the price will come down

again, they sell millions of cordless phones (that don't have multi-directional control) while the sell hundreds of DSM radios

if you think you personally can bring down costs go for it, but I think you need to address some simple math and economics

That's not true at all in this industry. Hobby companies are making BIG money the past 2-3 years during this "RC Boom" we seem to have had. Local distributers report at least a 50% mark-up. Not fiction, but fact. You can see this in individual parts as well. If you took a savage and priced out everything individually, it would be hugely expensive (as if it isn't already). They can throw it all in an RTR package, knock down price, and still make money. ENOUGH money in fact to advertise, offer great customer service to hundreds of customers, have its own R&D department, etc. There are thousands of companies that are doing VERY well who do not have the marketing power that some of these RC manufacturers do. That alone speaks volumes.

The mass manufacturing example does not stand either. Lets talk aluminum parts. An aluminum shock tower for a Nitro Evader will run you about $33. I can go down and have the exact same thing custom made at random shop in town, using a plastic shock tower as a template, for I'm guessing about $20. That's an ad-hoc project for them, which would be the most expensive.

Real car tires are not cheap because of mass production, they're cheap because of competition.

THAT said, the competition all other brands would receive from Traxxas if they went to Wal-Mart would be rediculous.. I'm afraid it might even put them out of business... who knows.

[edit] - One other item I just thought of. There is a certain website overseas that I order all of my rc plane products from. They are products that are actually e-flite products, but before they receive their branding, so they come over with no label at all. The price is literally about 20% of what they sell it for here in some cases, and you know they are still making some type of profit on it. A great example is a speed controller. I can get an unbranded "e-flite" 40amp ESC for 10 bucks
Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Redvanmafia

They wont, why cause they'd have to carry all the parts for them to and they cant do that. also they'd have people calling in to order parts again cant be done at wal-mart, for any of you that belive this or support this, you are idiots traxxas is not going to wal-mart, if anything tamiya will because all these kits are like 70 dollars stuff like that gos to wal-mart anything Hobby grade you'll never see in any wal-mart,
Old 05-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Bluebrew
My Feedback: (1)

This may be a misguided discussion about a rumor, but I don't see any "idiots" here. Well ...Maybe one.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 AM
zjwhitrock

one thing you guys have not been consedering, is that it has been done before, and nobody bought any of them, if I rememebr corectly about 4 years ago, wal-mart had a "losi looking" TC for sale at the front of the store for about $130but nobody bought them, because from thier point of view, it had a cheap see though plastic body, with no detale, and was twice as much as the other cars that were their.

I belive that the only way to get people to buy a stampdede/slash would be to have an in-store demo, wich is not going to happen.

also about them "cheapaning" the cars up, the origanal bandit with a msc is $100.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:58 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Maybe I could get a Revo for under $500, that would be sweetness!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 PM
iexion

If radioshack has a Hobby grade 1/18 elct truck ( almost a rip-off of a rc18t ) then its a sign that other companies are looking into or getting into hobbygrade RCs. Hot wheels has a RC truck with a 370 motor in it...

One of the reasons where i think its odd for traxxas to do so Television ad is..... NO other RC company has to Advertise the product out side of the normal ( magazines, websites, LHS etc ) But im sure other companies have ad also. I think Duratrax has some ads on there website, Maybe Hpi does to. But givin the Traxxas does have there 1:1 scale T-maxx i don't see why not.

As for traxxas going to wallyworld, When the "Holiday" seasons come around, more people are prone to look at the gaming systems. Even if traxxas does make some sort of a model for stores like wallzamart its either going to be either 1. Hard bodied and plastic ( like all in one piece ) or 2. more people might have to actually go find a LHS if they want to replace parts or get hop-ups. I guess it will just make it easier for other people to get into the RC hobby. When someone walks into a Hobby store for the first time, the will see some BIG (1/8th scale) nitro truck and may even try to get it.... till the see the price.
Well for someone like whom ever is reading this will undoubtedly see the same thing at there LHS and know why it cost over $500.

So my point being is when your trying to get new customers to buy your product, its not easy to justify the spending means for something you DONT want to break, So starting off with something cheaper might just be a better idea no?

just my take "****"
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: zjwhitrock

also about them "cheapaning" the cars up, the origanal bandit with a msc is $100.
I remember when you could still get kits from them and it was $60 for a rustler.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Troopermanaic
My Feedback: (7)

I would like to see rc's go cheaper but not walmart cheap, I say this because its so expensive for parts. Really who do they think we are, $100 for aluminum rims!!! I can get 4 blocks of aluminum and drill them into rims for less then $25. But of course I have access to a computerized electronic drill
Old 05-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Lightfoot

If Wal*Mart were to start selling hobby grade cars, it would be Himoto/Redcat or something like that.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:44 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much Howard, your a great guy!!! Dont you have some posts to delete?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Macanan

ORIGINAL: Lightfoot

If Wal*Mart were to start selling hobby grade cars, it would be Himoto/Redcat or something like that.
DUDE what the heck you talking about ? your a mod and your cracking on PAID advertisers products ?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:48 PM
ranger4x4

its so nice to know that if i post something a little off topic my posts get deleted and i get my avatar removed. but this mod can degrade a paid advertiser on this site? i find this to be a little hypocritical.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 PM
kuppler

Lightfoot,
For being a MOD on RCU this is one way to piss off alot of People.....and this really PISSSSS me off.....
there has been some bad blood from other rc comp. but this just chaps my hide....
Lightfoot.. i would love to go off on you and say whats on my mind.. on this post... but i know you DEL my post.. so it doesn't mater what goes on....
I just think that was a MEST up post you did..........
Old 05-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Lightfoot

What did I say to "crack" Himoto/Redcat. I am just stating an opinion based on close experience with Wal*Mart. It was not intended to cut down either of the names in any way. Don't be so sensitive.

Wal*Mart did not get to be the biggest retailer in the world by selling junk so I did not imply in any way that Himoto/Redcat were junk. I honestly don't know. My statement was based on the business practices of Wal*Mart, which is to sell the highest quality brand that will yield the largest profit margin and I believe that Himoto/Redcat would do that for them.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
ehroof

I really dont think so howard, as a community moderator and "employee" of rcu, you opinion on paid advertisers should be kept confindential. Funny how one persons opinion is just that, an opinion, and another perosons opinion can be bashing. Oh, by the way, nice try.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
kuppler

What did I say to "crack" Himoto/Redcat. I am just stating an opinion based on close experience with Wal*Mart. It was not intended to cut down either of the names in any way. Don't be so sensitive.

Wal*Mart did not get to be the biggest retailer in the world by selling junk so I did not imply in any way that Himoto/Redcat were junk. I honestly don't know. My statement was based on the business practices of Wal*Mart, which is to sell the highest quality brand that will yield the largest profit margin and I believe that Himoto/Redcat would do that for them.
ooo but its ok for you to make an OPINION on a Brand of RC... but if we the users on RCU even come close to posting a OPINION you DEL our posts... So how is this dif ??
and i think your just covering up your @$$ on this to make you look good.... but we all know whats going on.... you just have a HARD ON for us himoto guys... its cool...
we can take whatever you deal us... but we will not stand for this crap that you are pulling...............
Old 05-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Macanan

By all means if it was not intended as cracking on Himoto or Redcat and that Walmart is a great company as you stated I sure do Hope your dreams do come true and become one of the BEST Walmart greeters alive, to work for one of the best companies out there.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 PM
5lagd

Main Entry: mod¡er¡a¡tor
Pronunciation: \ˈmä-də-ˌrā-tər\
Function: noun
Date: circa 1560
1: one who arbitrates : mediator
2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion: as a: the presiding officer of a Presbyterian governing body b: the nonpartisan presiding officer of a town meeting c: the chairman of a discussion group
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing neutrons in a nuclear reactor
— mod·er·a·tor·ship \-ˌship\ noun

Isnt this the definition of a Moderator??? No someone who has an opinion?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Lightfoot

I guess you guys have a different opinion of Wal*Mart products than I do since I am a Wal*Mart employee.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37238.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	960437  
Old 05-30-2008, 08:46 PM
ranger4x4

ok may be you work for walmart but you tried to compare himoto/redcat products to the toy rc's sold at walmart. anyone i have asked all say it's just plain bashing! but i guess you must above the rules that govern rcu.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Lightfoot

I did not in any way imply that Himoto/Redcat were comparable to the toy R/C cars that are currently being sold at Wal*Mart unless you consider Traxxas to be "toy" grade. The topic of the thread is "Traxxas is going Walmart". I simply stated that I thought my employer would go with Himoto/Redcat for the reasons I outlined.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 PM
ehroof

I did not in any way imply that Himoto/Redcat were comparable to the toy R/C cars that are currently being sold at Wal*Mart unless you consider Traxxas to be "toy" grade. The topic of the thread is "Traxxas is going Walmart". I simply stated that I thought my employer would go with Himoto/Redcat for the reasons I outlined.

well howard, thats kinda the whole problem, there was no mention of redcat/himoto in this thread so no reason to bring them up but since you did and we caught what you were trying to say/do now your going to try and cover it up, too late now unless you start deleting things.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 PM
kuppler

Lightfoot,
You have no idea HOW big you opened your mouth.. and shoved your foot into it...your just trying to COVER your BUTT on it... you know you mest up... it would make you look even Worse if you Del the post so your just trying to cover your butt....... LOL..
Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 PM
iamnot

well
this was a boring thread
that got interesting
fast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.