Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas is going Walmart.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:25 PM
zjwhitrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas is going Walmart.

SHUT UP!!!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 05-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Rob6

Wow you guys are over reacting, I'm not even going to read the whole thread. To me this needs to be locked. I read the post and it did not imply anything that you guys are even talking about. You guys are getting a little over offensive. Tell me your suppose to be a person who supports people and helps them with there cars that you produce? I'm sorry when did these people run there mouths like this? I'm sorry when did they practice such bad grammar? Don't you remember that your here under their consent? And if they lost you, they probably would give two craps? Think twice before YOU open YOUR BIG MOUTH. Thats all I have to say if you want respect you GIVE IT.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:38 PM
xustacder

Fellas, I would like to think that we can all get along together here on RC
Universe. I understand we all have our opinions, but we do not need to act like
Kids towards each other. The bottom line is that we all enjoy a common
Hobby. And regardless of what brand you happen to prefer, you should keep an
Open mind towards the others. If you like Himoto, Traxxas, Losi, Redcat or
Whatever, the point is that we all share the common bond of nitro fumes
And dirt tracks. So let's just all do our best when we are posting to
Relax a bit and cut each other some slack. As my granddaddy used to say,
Don't say anything if you can't say something good!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:58 PM
bash_N_corn

This whole issue is very troubling.... Even Lightfoot's defense of his comments are shady, IMO most of the walmart brands are NOT GOOD, JUST CHEAP! The only salvation for him would be to admit he has been brain washed like a walmart drone into thinking that walmarts position is product quality rather than profit.

The other thing that comes to mind is if you are in a position of authority in a society such as this, wouldn't you error on the side of caution when debating if you should post such comments......UNLESS!!! You believe you have the common public opinion in your corner or atleast that of your boss

However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion because we live in a (mostly) free world but there was a time when lynch mobs had an important role in the justice system, being able to reach those "above the law"

xustacder...that is the point of this, Lightfoot shouldn't have said it to start with

edit to fix typo
Old 05-30-2008, 10:42 PM
iamnot

wow
too funny
erase, erase, erase
lol
Old 05-31-2008, 01:30 AM
iexion

ORIGINAL: Troopermanaic

I would like to see rc's go cheaper but not walmart cheap, I say this because its so expensive for parts. Really who do they think we are, $100 for aluminum rims!!! I can get 4 blocks of aluminum and drill them into rims for less then $25. But of course I have access to a computerized electronic drill
As far as upgrades go. you have to know what you want to get out of it. Show truck? Get as much Alum and CF as you can find. get the biggest engine/motor you can get and never run it. Yes get those $100 rims that are WAY to heavy to run for normal use....

But if your a basher looking to find the weak points of a racer looking for the best advantage then maybe some CF here and some ALUM there. Not all Alum parts are outrageously expensive. so what do you need and what do you want?

I dont think traxxas would put anything in Wallzamart. Im kinda waiting to see the E-revo. Might have to get rid of somethings and save some a pay check
Old 05-31-2008, 02:18 AM
fm2h3

I think traxxas should put some of there old crap (Original Rustler Original Bandit) up in wal mart shelves and see what happens< but not in the toy department some other department besides toyz.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:21 AM
iamnot

back to
being boring

too bad
lol
Old 05-31-2008, 10:52 PM
mrbonez

do you guys really think this is going to happen ?? i really hope not i would hate to see a 6 year old kid smash into his 3 year old sister at 25mph with a 1/10 and break her leg and who knows what else . i would hope there is a age restriction seems like there is way more cons then pro's . does any 1 know if this is really going to happen ?
Old 05-31-2008, 11:03 PM
DaveG55

LOL
Walmart already sells enough stuff for 6 yo's to seriously hurt a 2 y/o. I don't know if it's really gonna happen now but I expect that it will at some point. As for an age limit, all those are good for is to insulate the store and maker from law suites. You know as well asI do that little 9 y/o Johnnie can whine and moan enough to get mom and dad to buy one, just to shut him up.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:35 AM
mrbonez

9 year old Johnny LoL yep your are right the giant smiley wallymart face is bouncing everwhere lately
Old 06-01-2008, 09:33 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: iamnot

ORIGINAL: drevil

The real problem is with competition and quality. For example the first thing that comes to mind is that this can only be good for the hobby because it'll bring costs down and hopefully bring new people into the hobby. However the problem lies in the possibility that to keep costs down Traxxas will skimp on quality. Then since Traxxas is now selling stuff at insanely low prices the competition will do the same as well. In the end we wind up with a number of companies making very low cost, low quality products.

This can be a good thing, as long as Traxxas doesn't take the low road.
normally, i'd agree with the competition
and lowering quality to keep
costs in check thing

but

face it
rc's are overpriced now

really, what in any rc
makes the vehicle worth $600+?

why do 4 tires
less than 6" in dia
cost $60
when my 1:1 tires
with lots more rubber and steel belts too
sell for $38 each?

why does a piston and sleeve
cost $60
when, say
a brake cylinder for a 1:1 car
is $35

why does a dss radio
cost $200 - $400
when i can buy a complete set
of 3 or 4 cordless phones (same technology)
with an answering machine
for $100 - $150?

i think costs can come down
without
hurting quality

what may suffer is their ability
to send out free parts
for obvious user error
What also dictates why name brand companies charge so much is because they do their wn research and development. Sure, they hire chinese sub-contractors to make the parts, but the cost of R&D is very expensive. nginers are not cheap, and engineering is and absolute must in designing a quality RC. Prototypes are never cheap. Then there are the testing periods which could take months depending on how many bugs are discovered. Once a bug is found, the engineers must solve the problems and redisign the points that do not meet expected end product minimum requirements. Just the redesign to fix a found flaw is very expensive. There are many cheap entry level RCs, HSP being an example. (Actually, HSP is not sold as HSP in the US, HSP is sold by various resellers.) But HSP have in the past simply cloned existing RCs and they do not have the expense of R&D nor the heartache of fixing flaws. That is why they are so cheap and can sell their stuff to resellers who in turn, even with their mark-up, can sell the end products cheaply.

Another thing is wide universal availability and customer support. Traxxas has one of the best RC customer support in the market and many other companies have picked up the same procedures (HPI, Losi, etc.). They have set the standard and many look to these examples for their own customer support. For a company to provide such standardized customer service itself is not cheap. As for masive availibility, Traxxas has invested alot in finding reputable distributors, advertising, and working with as many local RC stores as possible. Though the invesment has now tuned into a pofit for them, initially getting the spare parts on the shelf on such a wide scale was an uphill battle (as it would be for any other company, HPI, Losi, Mugen, CEN, or whatever). The initial investment to getting spare parts to be wideley available in the local RC stores is very expensive, that is why alot of smaller companies are not yet seen on the shelves, they have to build up enough capital and funds to make such a move.

In the end, the shlf prices being expensive represent alot of factors and expenses the companies had to pay. As soon as the companies make back teh money for teh overhead and other pre-costs, they WILL reduce the prices simply to remain competative; they have to or the cheaper chinese competition will put them out of business.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:54 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: drevil

The real problem is with competition and quality. For example the first thing that comes to mind is that this can only be good for the hobby because it'll bring costs down and hopefully bring new people into the hobby. However the problem lies in the possibility that to keep costs down Traxxas will skimp on quality. Then since Traxxas is now selling stuff at insanely low prices the competition will do the same as well. In the end we wind up with a number of companies making very low cost, low quality products.

This can be a good thing, as long as Traxxas doesn't take the low road.
I cannot agree more. WalMart's severe demands to reduce costs will force Traxxas to cut some serious corners. Though Traxxas now uses chinese sub-contractors to make alot of their parts, Traxxas does demand these sub-contractors meet stringent minimum quality requriements (otherwise, Traxxas would not have hired them). The WalMart low-cost demand would force Traxxas to find another chinese sub-contractor who is worse than their current ones, and who knows how reputable that new sub-contractor would be? There are many chinese contractors who are simple crooks and if Traxxas were to be drawn in by one of them, the quality of the products wil drop seriously.

Some of the cost cutting measures that a company would have to take are: reduced or elimination of customer support, hiring cheaper chinese sub-contractors (running the risk of hiring crooked ones), reducing shipping, storing, and other overhead costs. The result of these are of course, poor customer service, a weaker/poorer quality product, longer times for the products to be shipped, and so forth.

With poor products on the shelf, Traxxas would run the risk of having to do expensive recalls. Having a cheaper (maybe crooked) chinese sub-contractor who puts poisons into the nylon plastics, paint, rubber, etc. could be considered a health hazard by inspectors (as was the case for all the scare about poisons in chinese poducts last year). Also, inferior parts that are weaker in key structural locations could lead to a catastrophic failure. An A-arm flying off at 25MPH is never a good thing and a child playing with such an RC could lose contol and strike another child because he could not steer away.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: thedr

ORIGINAL:

If people really wanted the price of RC parts to go down, then they would stop buying from companies who find it necessary to put out a new version of the same vehicle every 6 to 12 months.

Just some of the unseen costs are market research, design, prototype, testing, improvements, more testing, tooling, production, instructions, packaging, advertising, trade shows...

Oh yeah that would work, not!
If people discontinue their buying practices, sales go down, and companies are forced to raise retail prices to stay afloat.
New versions of existing vehicles cost very little to update in the way of tooling costs and such. Sure they spend on money on advertising and inconsequntial things such as instruction sheets, but I don't think you see much of those costs considering how cheap this hobby remains to be.
Well, you seem to know which factors are the reasons why products are cheap or expensive on the shelves. So, if you can, tells us the math and economics here. Actually, I am interested in percentages. What percentage of the sticker price does R&D count for? 40%? Assuming the manufactuing machinery are already paid for, what percentage of the retooling represent? 5%? What about advertising? another 40%? Al the overhead cost? and so forth. Just some estimates are what I am looking for since NO company likes to disclose any of their cost expenditures and to whom they pay money to.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Medrivfast

Everybody seems to be off track here.

People that shop at Walmart are looking for really inexpensive things. There isn't really much at a Walmart that's over $100.

Here is the scenerio if Traxxas is in Walmart.

Kid: "Mom, Can i have this cool looking R/C car?"

Mom: "How much is it?"

Kid: "Um, $149"

Mom: "Are you crazy? Your dad will kill me if i bought that. How about this one here. It's only $19.99."

Kid: "Ok"

We can all agree that this hobby can get a bit expensive. But, expensive to one person may not be the same amount to another.

When we walk into our LHS to buy a new R/C we expect to drop money. When someone shopping at Walmart for an R/C they will get sticker shocked for that above price.

I go shopping at Toys-R-Us with my wife & daughter. When I look at the R/C's there they seem to be around $60 or less. The next week we go back and i see them on sale for about $40. That's because people don't want to spend a lot of money on them.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:36 PM
mrbonez

ORIGINAL: Medrivfast

People that shop at Walmart are looking for really inexpensive things. There isn't really much at a Walmart that's over $100.

Mom: "Are you crazy? Your dad will kill me if i bought that. How about this one here. It's only $19.99."

We can all agree that this hobby can get a bit expensive. But, expensive to one person may not be the same amount to another.

When we walk into our LHS to buy a new R/C we expect to drop money. When someone shopping at Walmart for an R/C they will get sticker shocked for that above price.

I go shopping at Toys-R-Us with my wife & daughter. When I look at the R/C's there they seem to be around $60 or less. The next week we go back and i see them on sale for about $40. That's because people don't want to spend a lot of money on them.
excellent points maybe if this actually happens it will just bomb i remember a year ago or 2 walmart was selling these little tyco rc cars dune devil and i forget the other 1 but they were like 50 with no battery's or charger or anything aparently no 1 was buying them because they do not carry them any longer although tall building hobby has them . i for 1 really could not see a whole lot of people buying traxxas rc,s from walmart as stated they would more then likely be to expensive for most kids and most of us hobby people wouldn't even think of buying a rc from walmart for 1 reason or another
Old 06-01-2008, 06:23 PM
zjwhitrock

so is there any proof that traxxas is going to wal mart?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:39 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: brett65

Maybe I could get a Revo for under $500, that would be sweetness!

you can pick up new ones for $450 from reputable vendors if you keep your eyes open, you dont' have to wait for them to get to a big box store
Old 06-01-2008, 10:49 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Bluebrew

This may be a misguided discussion about a rumor, but I don't see any "idiots" here. Well ...Maybe one.
Please dont say it's me.....lol

I'm just one of the ones who think this isnt gonna happen EVER!!

Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Sofwhitewolf
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

an xl5 is a decent basher but a 7 year old with no cares in the world will break it the first day more than likely

Hey! its not that crappy, i have driven the hell out of my Pede xl-5 and its not broke yet, i have taken it off of 8-foot jumps where it has landed on the right front tire and nothing but scrapes. its been on its dome, side rear and still it keeps on ticking. it will be a sad day when i finally break it.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:27 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: mrbonez

ORIGINAL: Medrivfast

excellent points maybe if this actually happens it will just bomb i remember a year ago or 2 walmart was selling these little tyco rc cars dune devil and i forget the other 1 but they were like 50 with no battery's or charger or anything aparently no 1 was buying them because they do not carry them any longer although tall building hobby has them . i for 1 really could not see a whole lot of people buying traxxas rc,s from walmart as stated they would more then likely be to expensive for most kids and most of us hobby people wouldn't even think of buying a rc from walmart for 1 reason or another
lol Tyco cars. Or did you say those NEW BRIGHT cars and trucks...
Old 07-19-2008, 11:44 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: zjwhitrock

also about them "cheapaning" the cars up, the origanal bandit with a msc is $100.
I remember when you could still get kits from them and it was $60 for a rustler.
Yea, I have one. LOL