Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ever let someone drive your RC and end up wishing you hadnt?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Ever let someone drive your RC and end up wishing you hadnt?

Old 05-07-2003, 05:39 AM
WhiskyVR-4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever let someone drive your RC and end up wishing you hadnt?

Originally posted by TODD MARSH
Oh man sometimes I think the Nitro cars/planes have gremilins!
They do. The planes more than the cars. Go to the airfield and see how many times/hour you hear "deadstick!!!" and then CRASH "aww, crap"

The cars have them too though, they wait through the hours of practice and near-perfect laps, until someone is watching and then they jump out, pull your throttle linkage off on the backstraight, snap your throttle return spring, and strip your steering servo just in time to hit that bank at the end of the straight at 40+ mph.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:24 AM
ManicMechanic

Packfan, you're so right. I can spend 3 hours by myself without a single hitch with my truck. Introduce a friend/spectator it all goes to sh*t!!!!!

A couple of stories:
First one, I had been working on the truck in the garage and my neighbour had seen it and started talking to me about it. Next thing his smart assed 13 year old kid comes in. Complete know it all about everything, you know the kind.
So we go down the fields, I do a few laps no probs, and the kid pipes up can he have a go. So, seeing as his dad was there I agreed. I started telling him how to control it and I just get
"I know how to control a radio control car, god!!"
10 seconds later he ploughs it straight into a bunch of stinging nettles. He says "oops" and looks at me and his dad. We both look at him and say "you crashed it, you fetch it".
I was LMAO, he was covered in stings and itching all over!!! That'll teach him.
Next time I was out, it was with my dad, I'm showing off blasting it around at full throttle when suddenly it jumps like 4 feet vertically in the air before taking about 6 end over end tumbles.
Thats when I see the rock sticking up through the grass!!! That'll be a new set of A arms then LOL.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Unstable

next time someone asks just say
"you got $400 (or whatever you truck is worth) for me to hold in my hand while you drive it?"

only time I let people try out my savage is when its an open field with nothing to hit.

otherwise its "get your own toys"
Old 05-07-2003, 12:46 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by rcharry
I hate people who just say no. My friend bought a on raod like a month ago, i tuned it right, he couldnt start it, i fixed that and gave him a lot of crap to start. I asked him to drive it he said no. I got my 1/8 and ran it over a few times. But my 1/8 is broke so when hes over i cant run it over!
then you hate me eh??? I say no too people that arent experinced. I will let them drive it aslong s they know what thier doing
Old 05-07-2003, 12:56 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

That many people crash because of thier engine shuts off? Ive flown dead stick and never had a problem.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:48 PM
Unstable

I havent crashed a deadstick landing yet. had a few rough landings but all got on the ground fine...

maybe its just the flyers he knows.. I havent seen a crash due to pilot error since... well since I flubbed the landing on my spitfire a few weeks ago and ripped the firewall off (should not have come off but it was due to a shoddy repair job done by somebody..... ok that somebody was me )
Old 05-07-2003, 03:00 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

only time i'd let my friends drive is in a field. i show em off alot in the streets.
like if they are in my trunk and we are watching football or something, during half time ill break one of them out and they all want to drive and i say....
" naw if we were up at Miller Field i'd let you, but with all these car tires and curbs to hit you'll prolly break something."

they usually say ok with out fuss.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:46 PM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

The only thing worse than a inexperiencd driver, is a drunk inexperienced driver! The inexperienced guy will at least know in his mind he doesnt know what the hell hes doing, but the drunk guy will be so full of himself he wont recall he doest know what hes doing, and drive like he stole it....and is drunk.....which he is!
Old 05-07-2003, 03:59 PM
joelacrane

I have this old Kadet Jr that my freind and i are learning on. We went out to fly one day, and i let him fly because my plane is a peice of junk and his only plane is really nice. He was flyin around, doing pretty good when the wing snapped in half! Down it came! All he could do was throttle down. The whole cowling was splintered all the way to the cockpit!

Anyway, he felt so bad about it that he spent serveral hours fixing it, and now it looks better than before! We still practice with it. I let him fly my plane whenever he wants now!
Old 05-07-2003, 04:26 PM
DSA.308

Oh, yea if someone has the skills of money to repair a crashed car/plane then they probably have the courtesy to drive it within their abilities too, and also make sure the someone doing them a favor by letting them enjoy our toys is rightfully returned a undamaged model......or the hard cold cash to cover a damaged one, and a promise to fix it also....

I practice what I preach and I rarely ask to drive anything that isn't mine, after all I don't know if the throttle linkage it screwed up, or maybe the radios program is messed up, and I am a sitting duck because the car will crash with or without my abilities. After all- not all wreaks are driver stupidity, lots of things can happen! That doesn't mean I wouldn't feel responsible if anything happened!
Old 05-07-2003, 05:09 PM
AznAbyss952

My friend drove mine and the most he did was bend one of the dog bones...
Old 05-07-2003, 05:37 PM
DSA.308

Sometimes the supposedly "experienced" drivers are the ones who are comfortable driving fast, and therefore crash while going fast! Just my experience, but I would rather let a completely in-experienced driver who was careful, drive my car than a experienced driver who is full of him/herself! Plus when the guy who is experienced, who should know better, wads the car, I am alot more likely to be pissed off, because they should have known better!

At least a inexperienced driver is usually careful enough to not go fast enough to end up crashing. Actually I let a guy who had never driven any rc much less a 1/5th and I would let him drive it anytime.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:32 PM
perculator

I love that post about the picnic. I know exactly how that feels.

I hit a mime once in seattle goin WOT. Ruined his Unitard because he couldnt figure out how to jump over it. I posted the story a while back. Too long to re-type, Maybe I'll go find it and paste it here.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:00 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Originally posted by rcharry
haha. I got another one too.
My friend lives by a park, and he was driving it around there from his front porch and a chevy tahoe was in the way of his sight, anf his emaxx went into these 2 peoples picnic. Ti couldnt see what happend, but the guy grabed his emaxx and THREW it againts a tree w/o a shell. OUCH!!! but i feel more bad for the people who got hit. The lady had a coke and chicken all over her. it was funny
it woulda been game over right there, and mr.baseball bat woulda been saying hi to that guys car after that! no joke. ive done it before
Old 05-07-2003, 09:06 PM
perculator

So what your saying Casey is that you would have taken your baseball bat out of your picnic basket and beaten the E-Maxx driver upside the face,neck,breast,chest,and head? LOL you are one mean dude..

I wanna hear the story about the time you did do the gangland style beatdown. details please...
Old 05-07-2003, 09:09 PM
caseyddr

nonono, i took a bat to somebody's car before for doing something to one of my friends lol they never found out it was me either... haha I remember that week in school he was talkin to a group of friends about it, in his ghetto slagn... "yo bias if i find that **** that be pullin that shahiznit to my phat ride yo id be all up in his grill for sho" i started crackin up.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:14 PM
perculator

Fo shizzo...

You should have smacked his grizzle for messing with your hizzle.... but Im glad that you fizzled his pizzle... You really are teh shizzle nizzle...
Old 05-07-2003, 09:19 PM
caseyddr

this thread reminds me of when i was 9... a LHS runner let me use his truck the whole day at the track to race, as long as i was careful blabla since my grandma was with me. I ended up placing 3rd in the A main outta 3 mains... lol go me on the electric ST racing
Old 05-08-2003, 11:51 PM
asinghbamo

Well about 5 years ago i had a mate (dont speak no more) who had a real Sleek Saloon Nitro Car (dont know what it was, i was too young) but anyway he would always so no when i asked to drive which wasnt really very nice becuase he used to drive it on the lagest area of concreate i had ever seen and it would have been impossible to crash. Well anyway one day he was driving it on the road and he came up onto the sidewalk (pavement in the UK) and BAM! his brother was stepping out of his front gate and he smacked his ankle at nearly full speed! Fractured in 2 places it was.... Well the morale of this story is, LET YOUR FRIENDS DRIVE WHEN ITS SAFEE!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2003, 12:04 AM
DSA.308

Can you imagine if that 3LB. car had weighed 25 LBS and was going 50MPH!?!?!? Oh, my. I am sure it has happened, and it probably broke both legs..compound fractures at the shins. Actually I have heard a story of just such a incident. The high dollar servos can and do fail in these 1/5th scales....that is common knowledge. So I never drive the car when anyone is around at all. Servos can and do fail, throttle or steering servos that stop working at 50MPH present a BIG problem.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:06 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by TODD MARSH
Can you imagine if that 3LB. car had weighed 25 LBS and was going 50MPH!?!?!? Oh, my. I am sure it has happened, and it probably broke both legs..compound fractures at the shins. Actually I have heard a story of just such a incident. The high dollar servos can and do fail in these 1/5th scales....that is common knowledge. So I never drive the car when anyone is around at all. Servos can and do fail, throttle or steering servos that stop working at 50MPH present a BIG problem.
specially when they are steering a 25lbs car...
Old 05-09-2003, 12:25 AM
outluded

i wrecked my rc10gt being a bit too confident.

i was going WOT and started losing control a bit, hi the brakes, but i soon remmebered that they were **** and started doing a slide over a little sand into the back tire of my civic.

bokren shock, broken A arm, broken rear shock support, broken servo arm.

my last time driving on a street
Old 05-09-2003, 12:27 AM
DSA.308

Oh, yea sand is like driving on marbles!
Old 05-09-2003, 01:27 AM
soapsuds43

i know theres some kind of calculation for that i know they test jet engines with chickens and gooses and they say it ='s about 1,000 some pounds against the blades
Old 05-10-2003, 12:01 AM
rcharry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by nitroman88
then you hate me eh??? I say no too people that arent experinced. I will let them drive it aslong s they know what thier doing
i dont hate you. And duh i really woundnt let a inexperinced driver drive my toy either!
Yeah when people hit my ankle with a 10 scale, i bust out my good old 1/8 and scare them or hit them lightly. Imagin a 1/8 going full speed into your ankle. OUCH! After the visit to the hospital, i also get my baseball bat!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.