Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ever let someone drive your RC and end up wishing you hadnt?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Ever let someone drive your RC and end up wishing you hadnt?

Old 05-06-2003, 10:57 PM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever let someone drive your RC and end up wishing you hadnt?

Ever loan your R/C car to a person to try out, who suposedly thinks they are a WAY better driver than you, only to have them wad it because thier skills werent what they thought they were?

I had such a incident happen. I loaned my 1/5th to a buddy to run around a huge parking lot. I know he thinks hes 10 times the driver I am because he always make little comments like "oh your actually going to drive it, rather than do burnouts?" So he kinda screwed himself when I gave him the controls and he proceeded to drive like a 1/5th scale champion, at 50 MPH around the parking lot, driving the car like he owned it himself, rather than like he was borrowing it, and hadn't ever driven a 1/5th in his life. The way we all probably drove at 16 when we thought a 82 Camaro turned us into Mario Andretti. Well at some point during the 10 minute drive he got a little careless. He was turning the car while going fast enough to loft the cars tires off the ground (he jumped the car off the ground while turning) lost control and it slid right into a concrete curb. No real damage other than a scratched body and ego on his part.

Firstly, I own the FG, but I have to guess if someone had $2,600.00 in a new FG and offered to let me drive it, I imagine I would be happy to drive it like I borrowed it, and certainly within my AND the cars limits. Secondly a 25LBS car doesn't jump off the pavement. His first reaction when it hit the curb was to hold the controller away from him thinking it had mass interference, but figured out quickly there was nothing wrong with the controller. I immediately told him it was "operator error", and it was him driving over his head, and over the limits of the car. Finally he agreed it was his fault, and wouldn't drive the car saying "Oh man you gotta fix that thing, it handles HORRIBLE!" Mind you this is after him driving insane for 10 minutes at least, without a single mention of foul handling, then all the sudden he wreaks and its the car!

The car wasn't damaged, and I guess the moral of the story is you really need to let people know what you expect when you give them the controls. I know if I had said please drive it within your AND the cars abilities, he wouldn't have driven quite so fast, and wouldn't have wreaked it either. Also I know he didnt intentionally wreak it, plus he was man enough after he figured out it was his carelessness that had wreaked the car, to admit it. It can be a really tough thing though.

I know from reading the airplane forums this type of thing isn't uncommon. Both carelessness from frequency conflicts, and people flying planes that are way over their head ability wise, cause accidents and hurt feelings between fellow modelers.

Besides people should impress others with their abilities on their own cars/planes. A borrowed car/plane that you have never driven and costs more than a couple weeks or MONTHS of your entire income isn't the time to show anyone how much better you think you are at driving than they are.

Wouldn't it really suck to have to replace a model for someone else, that you couldn't even afford for yourself?!!?!?? :stupid:

Lets hear some war stories!
Old 05-06-2003, 11:14 PM
rcharry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

oh, i have so many.
I always make people sign a contract, that say "YOU BREAK IT, IT PAY FOR IT" Or i have the right to egg their house, kick there *****. or other horrible things. And when i drive my buddies car, im always careful, and i break it, ill pay for it.
But heres my story. My friend had just got his new xxx-t and was driving it on the first day he had it running. And we were all in a group, and the one kid that didnt have a r/c ask to drive, i said no, but my other friend said yes, with his new xxx-t. So hes driving it and guns it and BOOM, right into the curb at full throttle! Well he broke my friends chassie and shock tower. and said "oh i though it would do a wheelie" he didnt say sorry, or pay. and my friend paid $40 in damage. poor kid!
Old 05-06-2003, 11:23 PM
DSA.308

OH man , how stupid can you get?!?? The guy actually thought it would wheelie up the curb huh? Oh my God! Takes all kinds, thanks for the story!
Old 05-06-2003, 11:29 PM
dg2b

I do allow certain people to drive my car because
1) I can't figure out handling issue (over/under steer)
2) I can't figure out why the car is loose (sp)
3) New guys but with strict instructions to drive at half throttle and to obey my commands
4) the new guy is one of my kids

BTW, what were you thinking allowing a person never driven 1/5 before driving your FG. I wouldn't. You're a brave soul....can I drive???
Old 05-06-2003, 11:37 PM
DSA.308

Hhahahah. well hes a friend of mine, and has other RC cars but nothing gas powered or so big. I didnt think he would drive the way he did really, I was pretty surprised at that. But I figured if he did wreak and it wasnt broke too bad, maybe it was a good wake up call that we all need to be humbled at some point, I guess his was with driving rc and finding out he wasnt as good a pilot as he thought. Hes kept his "oh your going to drive it rather than do burnouts" to himself now. After all I could counter with "better than letting you wreak it", at least when I do my driving it isnt into the curb. And if it IS, thats fine.....its my FU**ING car!
Old 05-06-2003, 11:41 PM
dg2b

I take it that he is still your friend but not the RC FG driving kind friend??

Good to hear the car is alright.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:46 PM

The first time i ever drove a nitro car was when my friend got a new Nitro Sport. I drove it full speed head on right into the curb. LOL
I wonder why he never lets me drive his cars anymore...
Old 05-06-2003, 11:46 PM
DSA.308

Yea thats about it. Actually I would let him drive it now- with the rule that it doesnt contact anything for any reason. To be honest though, I doubt he would ask. LOL
Old 05-06-2003, 11:47 PM
DSA.308

OH man those curbs are R/C car eaters HUH!

Come on guys I know some of the worst accidents maybe were even your fault and embarassing..share with the rest of us as therapy.......

You can change the names to protect the innocent!
Old 05-06-2003, 11:49 PM

oh yeah. Whoever though of puting a huge line of concrete along the streets is an IDIOT!
Old 05-06-2003, 11:58 PM
rcharry-RCU

i have more than you can imagn with curbs and tires.
Car ran away, hit curb an blew up, end of story.
Jumping off ramp w/ touring car, right into friends dads back tire.
Ramping off "The HILL" in my front yard, landed funny and cart wheeled into curb.
(this was friends) Off house roof, onto nieghbors driveway, litterary exploded in mid air after hitting gutter funny, then landed on concrete and expolded some more. He needed a new truck after that.
kinda off the subject. I built a cheap ramp in shop, just for r/c. When was playing outside w/ friends, some stranger went off it with a bike, the ramp colappsed on him and he fell hard.HAHA, It was the funniest thing ive ever seen!
Old 05-06-2003, 11:59 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

I just flat out say no too people.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:03 AM

I let people drive it, but only my friends. And if they break it they WILL pay for it, probably in more ways than one.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:05 AM
rcharry-RCU

I hate people who just say no. My friend bought a on raod like a month ago, i tuned it right, he couldnt start it, i fixed that and gave him a lot of crap to start. I asked him to drive it he said no. I got my 1/8 and ran it over a few times. But my 1/8 is broke so when hes over i cant run it over!
Old 05-07-2003, 12:08 AM
soapsuds43

i have kind of a funny story about this on my first racing day out in manassas, VA there was a father and son out there looking around, and let me tell you there are some crazys out in manassas who spend 1000's of dollars on there on road cars just for local racing and yet i had a BONE STOCK msx-3... the son came over to me since i was the only uncrazy there he asked to drive my car and i gladly let hem he did a slow lap and gave it back to me to my happy ness it was right on the turn to the straightaway another driver was coming up and i gunned it so we would drag down the straight but i forgot the wheels were still in turning position right after the boy had turned the corner and SMACK!!
oooouuugggghhhh theres allways a distinctive sound to your first crash up while his car was goin about 35-40mph mine was goin about 10 because i had just gunned it and i side swiped his car with the front right side the only thing broken on my car was the front arm on his both front and rear arms, front and rear shock tower, knuckles, and his body was WAY scratched up and cracked....... it was a reflex so id say repairs were about $40 to $50

i sould have let the new kid drive more
Old 05-07-2003, 12:13 AM
rcharry-RCU

haha. I got another one too.
My friend lives by a park, and he was driving it around there from his front porch and a chevy tahoe was in the way of his sight, anf his emaxx went into these 2 peoples picnic. Ti couldnt see what happend, but the guy grabed his emaxx and THREW it againts a tree w/o a shell. OUCH!!! but i feel more bad for the people who got hit. The lady had a coke and chicken all over her. it was funny
Old 05-07-2003, 12:17 AM

LOL
How much stuff broke????
Old 05-07-2003, 12:22 AM
rcharry-RCU

shock towers, esc casing, and i think the the motor holder.not that bad, considering that guy was pissed beyond belief!
Old 05-07-2003, 12:30 AM
DSA.308

Guy was pissed off huh? Oh man I bet he felt stupid when He had to walk over and pick up his truck that was all smashed up, and a guy who wanted to kick his butt! Oh God thats bad, I would feel really bad about that one.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:36 AM
rcharry-RCU

He said sorry so many times and bought them a new lunch. it was great!
Old 05-07-2003, 12:50 AM
DSA.308

Yea, I would feel really bad if I ruined all the food for their picnic. I mean its not like he did it on purpose, but when the food was flying I am sure he wasnt thinking about that! LOL!
Old 05-07-2003, 01:12 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

todd just so you know its wreck not wreak.

i let my 9 year old nephew drive one of mine and man he was a good driver. i did however put this thing around the radio handle so he couldn't go full throttle.

maybe in a year or two ill get him one of his own, but he isn't really all that into it so i guess it'd be like buying myself a 5th r/c.

has anyone else noticed that when you are showing some new people something always goes wrong?
i used to bring mine to work sometimes and i work in new construction so I'm always around different people. and no matter what it would either always stall or i would break something.
even when i would show some friends who were new to see me run them i would again, always break something or it would stall.

then all i hear is wow that sucks...you gotta start it like that all the time? or hahahaha so much for your $300 remote control car. how much will that cost you to fix ?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:22 AM
DSA.308

Yea, I noticed things like that myself....
Old 05-07-2003, 02:55 AM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Brand new nitro rustler: 299.99
One massive ego: 21 years on this earth
ONE Small 1 1/2" deep poudle splashing your throttle servo causing it to short out at full throttle on only the second tank of break in: PRICELESS.

The story behind this is I just bought the Rustler and took it out to my flying field the no one was at so i had plenty of room to play. Well I get through the first tank of following the TRAXXAS recommended driving behavior patterns to follow. I get bored out in the middle of this field i'm in and decided to walk back to my car meanwhile still driving my Rustler. It crested over a small hill and I lost sight of it. Next thing I know it's coming straight at me full speed ahead. I thought the box was kidding when it said upwards of 47 mph. Needless to say I couldn't catch up to it after it passed me and continued it's 300 yard journey into a corn feild where upon it rested with one wheel exposed and the other stuck in the mud. The differential allowed the wheel without the rubber to rev my little TRX2.5 up up and away. Luckily no damage just another tire and a new glow plug.

Kinda the easiest way to "BrEAK"-in the engine huh? Lucky the **** didn't cease on me.

BTW I've heard/seen alot of trash talk about the trx2.5 having problems with idle and stalling. Mine performs flawlessy even with the over rev of the engine for 2 minutes with no load on its second tank.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:25 AM
DSA.308

Oh man sometimes I think the Nitro cars/planes have gremilins!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.