Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Li-Ion help please

Old 06-16-2008, 01:10 AM
ludeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-Ion help please

I was given a dead laptop, it is a newer model and I noticed on the battery that it uses Li-ion. I took it apart and removed 4 of these cells. Now it says 14.4v so that would make each cell 3.6v. I thought Li-ion were 3.3v so are these cells not the same as like a123's?[sm=confused.gif] I did throw this little tester together and put it my rc18 for the tire spin test. It looked to me about the same as if I put a nice NiMh in but I don't know what charge the batteries have on them. I see they are 2000mah which leads me to my next question. Is a 2000mah Li-ion battery stronger then a equivalent NiMh or LiPo?[sm=confused.gif] Could a supper brain charger charge these? Also if you can read the warning on the battery it talks about fire and I thought that Li-ion were safe and bulletproof![sm=confused.gif]

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70932.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	971542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50613.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	971543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm25036.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	971544  
Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Li-Ion help please

I'm not 100% sure ,but those might be li-ions that are lipos that terminate at 4.1 volts/cell when full. Nominal voltage of 3.6 rather than 3.7 for lipos.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:36 AM
ludeman

Sorry, I have no Idea what you just said.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 PM
redraze

There are many cells that look like the ones you have and also the ones that are green and white but because they came from a laptop they are the low current type that at max drain can handle about 2 amps load, over drawing current on these types of cells will cause them to heat up rapidly while they might not burst in flames they will destroy themselves. Good news is that they make great battery packs for your remote and they will last a hellofa long time between charges.
they aren't like the a123 cells at all and you can charge them to 4.20v cell like a lipo. I use them in my remote and aslong as you charge them at 2A and under they will be fine.
I took a 18v li-ion makita drill pack apart and they has cells that are similare to the ones you have but they are 1500mah and 20A max current 2 amp charge. The cells are identical to the green li-ion except the numbers on the side.
if you have 6 cells in that toshiba pack then you can get 2 good remote packs.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 AM
ludeman

Oh OK, thanks. So you can still overheat them and cause a fire! I thought thats why Li ion was better than LiPo, you know.....safer!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
redraze

I purposly took a few laptop cells and tried to get them to explode, the only way I was able to get to go off was to add an outside heat source or put power to them and puncture them through. it took a long time before they went off.. like 15 minutes plus. lipo's blow almost instantly. I would say that it makes the li-ion safer.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
zjwhitrock

ORIGINAL: redraze

I purposly took a few laptop cells and tried to get them to explode, the only way I was able to get to go off was to add an outside heat source or put power to them and puncture them through. it took a long time before they went off.. like 15 minutes plus. lipo's blow almost instantly. I would say that it makes the li-ion safer.
ya it gives you a chance to run before the blow up