Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Supercharged,Intercooled HPI...HOLY *****!!

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Supercharged,Intercooled HPI...HOLY *****!!

Old 05-13-2003, 09:26 PM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supercharged,Intercooled HPI...HOLY *****!!

WOW....thats about all I can say.That guy is really creative and thats gotta be one of the coolest things I've ever seen. This is on the HPI site in the racer gallery under week 5 of april...top pick.I tried to link to it earlier,but no luck. I now know what I must do
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	78284_33785.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	46623  
Old 05-13-2003, 09:29 PM
GALAXY

That Intercooler is SICK!!

Name:	78286_33785.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	46624  
Old 05-14-2003, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats an intercooler? How would it effect performance, or would it? Looks kinda cool though
Old 05-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Diesel Dave-RCU

Lets talk about an Intercooler on a Semi Truck. An intercooler is basically a radiator. In a Truck, intake air is compressed by a turbo charger. When air is compressed quickly, it heats up. If this hot compressed air is pulled into the engine, the engine will overheat.

Enter the intercooler. The hot air is passed through the intercooler, like coolant is passed through the radiator, cooling the air down, so the engine will not overheat, but still benefit from the higher compression obtained from having compressed intake air.

Personally, just going by the pictures posted here, I don't think he will benefit much from all the work he went to.

Dave
Old 05-14-2003, 12:58 AM
rcharry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

but its cool, looking!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:08 AM
WhiskyVR-4

definitely looks cool! I really like that. I can't imagine that his intercooler there is terribly functional (you don't really want me to get into the math, please trust me on that one, if you want to learn about this stuff, I can reccomend some books to get you started), but he can't be overly concerned about its ability to exchange heat anyway, since he has a sticker blocking a large portion of the fins. I simply have a hard time believing this setup makes much power over a naturally-aspirated 2-stroke, but hey, its definitely a sweet project! Nicely done!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:20 AM
Celly013

I guarentee the weight added counteracts any performance gained... if any, which I doubt...

But he does get an A for effort...
Old 05-14-2003, 01:27 AM
outluded

pretty cool...but i dont see no supercharger. all i see is the filter and a intercooler. wheres the compressor?

and hot air doesnt really heat up an engine, it just contains less dense air in it rather than colder air.

more air=more speed
Old 05-14-2003, 01:56 AM
GALAXY

Look at the first pic,where those 2 hoses meet,thats the supercharger.I agree,the intercooler isn't doing much Whiskey and I'm not even sure I can see an actual grill that air passes through.If ya look at the HPI site http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm the guy says he dyno'd it and it gained 1200-4000 RPMs depending on Air/Fuel mix.Wether it works or not it's pretty damn cool...I wonder if a turbo would be possible that small.As far as weight goes...I don't think thats too much of a factor to him,haha.

Name:	78404_33785.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	46625  
Old 05-14-2003, 02:13 AM
GALAXY

Check out the machining on the wing mounts up there,thats pretty incredible...adjustable carbon fiber.He had to have put alot of hours into that,what a pain in the ass that would be to program on a CNC

Name:	78407_33785.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	46626  
Old 05-14-2003, 02:16 AM
GALAXY

I doubt they are functional but damn!I thought I had a pretty good attention to detail but he must have alot of time.

Name:	78408_33785.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	46627  
Old 05-14-2003, 03:12 AM
spadworld

I don't think the intercooler does much but does look sweet. With that set up the extra piping and the cooler if it's actually a cooler probibly restrict a lot. Look at the makeshift blow off valve!
Doubt it does a whole lot other than just release most of the air pressure from the charger. I hear all kinds of things about the chargers though. Some swear up and down that they are just awesome some say they parasite the engine too much to tell a lot of difference. I've even heard they are a waste of fuel since they help push your fuel all the way through the engine and out the pipe.

My personal opinion would be I'll save my money for other stuff.

The cosmetic brakes look pretty good as well though. Let's just see how much weight those springs can hold!
Old 05-14-2003, 04:47 AM
Rex2342

On a turbo car an intercooler can will give you 40+ hp depending on the size of it.A turbo car won't overheat and will still run without one but it's not as efficient.A turbo is SPOOLED by exhaust gas witch is very hot and a good intercooler cools the air dramatically.If anybody has ever been close to a turbo car you know they put off tremendous heat under the hood and on the intercooler you can barley touch one side(hot side) because it's so hot but the other side is actually cold(cold side).I don't imagine the intercooler it that pic does much because the exhaust gas on a 2 stroke doesn't come out at a high enough velocity to go through all the pipes and still spin the supercharger at a high enough rate to make an eficient power increase.It does look very cool and I may be wrong about the exhaust pressure but it's just my 2 cents.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:34 AM
GALAXY

the exhaust gas on a 2 stroke doesn't come out at a high enough velocity to go through all the pipes and still spin the supercharger at a high enough rate
Did you mean turbo there?Exhaust doesn't drive a supercharger,its belt driven.Sorry to pick words,haha.Heres another one that looks pretty useless...makes the other one look pretty good
Old 05-14-2003, 10:39 AM
GALAXY

Actual supercharger looks better but what horrible piping

Name:	78455_33785.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	46628  
Old 05-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Rex2342

HaHa yeah your right.I started talking about turbo's and forgot a supercharger is belt driven.....lol.It might actually work then.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:21 PM
solo racer

But an intercooler works the same with a turbocharger or supercharger. It is simply cooling off compressed/heated air in both cases.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:33 PM
Celly013

What I find funny, is all these people building Super chargers into their rides, could get more power out of just dropping 150$ on a better engine...

Until I see somone with an onroad car with a Novarossi Black Pixi, Orion Wasp, OS CVRX, RB Concept, etc, which proves a better engine option has been exhausted... Then, we can worry about it being supercharged...
Old 05-14-2003, 03:23 PM
GALAXY

haha,very true on the engine and intercooler.As long as people are trying it they'll learn something and keep me from makin mistakes if I ever try it so thats cool.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:11 PM
bridiXLT
My Feedback: (2)

Default wow

i want one for my rc car

ill pay top dollar where can i get one ???
Old 05-14-2003, 08:45 PM
Rex2342

Originally posted by solo racer
But an intercooler works the same with a turbocharger or supercharger. It is simply cooling off compressed/heated air in both cases.

But on a turbo the exhaust gas needs to spin the turbo and then go through all that pipe witch would make it inefficient for a 2 stroke.A supercharger spins off the crank so the exhaust gas doesn't have that bottle neck in the air flow.

Just a though.....if these things really work(still a skeptic) and produce good power on a stock engine imagine what they could do to a top of the line engine.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:24 PM
solo racer

Originally posted by Rex2342
But on a turbo the exhaust gas needs to spin the turbo and then go through all that pipe witch would make it inefficient for a 2 stroke.A supercharger spins off the crank so the exhaust gas doesn't have that bottle neck in the air flow.

Just a though.....if these things really work(still a skeptic) and produce good power on a stock engine imagine what they could do to a top of the line engine.
Tis correct, but from my knowledge (I have done custom turbo and supercharger applications before on real cars) the turbo is more efficient, especially with todays technology. The exhaust restriction is minor (10-20hp) as opposed to the 50+hp a supercharger takes to drive off the motor.

For 2-stroke and R/C applications a supercharger is MUCH easier to build and tune and would be the only way I went. Unless maybe I tried it on a OS 4-stroke motor. Hmmm....

If I could simply find a compressor of sorts then the overall design shouldn't be too hard. I'm sure there would be SOME power gain (how much is debatable) but whether or not it's worth $180ish is another story.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:59 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

BridieXLT here is where you can get the supercharger...opps!

Sorry I couldnt find the web site now...anyways I think these type superchargers cost like $189.00, and dont quote me on this but I though a company called RB makes them? If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me. I know they have a model for .15 engines, and are making or may have allready made other larger displacement model chargers.

WhiskyVR4 I know you have looked at the "flow" charts for these chargers, who are they made by?
Old 05-16-2003, 03:46 AM
GALAXY

here it is.... http://www.rbinnovations.com/
Old 05-16-2003, 04:48 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Ah thanks galaxy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.