Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Duratrax Onyx chargers

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Kemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratrax Onyx chargers

Each Onyx charger includes all of the features you want, and none that you don't.
How I beg to differ!

Anyone else have one of these yet?

I've come to notice that my 230 has no discharge feature [:@]
Old 07-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: Duratrax Onyx chargers

Yes, I have 1. It charges 123, lipo, nicad, nimh, and li-ion batteries and charges up to 7 amps AC or DC. You dont need to discharge if your runing nimh packs.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Kemo

nicd and nimh develop a memory, and thats what sucks. If I dont discharge my packs, there is a noticeable decrease in performance.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Chris_RC

no not nimh packs. Only nicad devolp memory.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Kemo

not entirely true. NiMH cells develop a memory, just nowhere near as fast as the Nicd chemistry does.

Its a problem we also have in our arcade games. We shut them all off at night... but they don't have hard-drives to save stats and high scores. So, in order to save money for both the manufacturers and us, the arcade manufacturers use NiMH cells inside the games. Since they develop a memory over time, we have to replace the packs, or each individual cell so that the games can store the memory all night.

UPDATE:
also noticed it has no balancer... charger is goin back to tower!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:15 PM
zjwhitrock

ORIGINAL: Kemo

not entirely true. NiMH cells develop a memory, just nowhere near as fast as the Nicd chemistry does.

Its a problem we also have in our arcade games. We shut them all off at night... but they don't have hard-drives to save stats and high scores. So, in order to save money for both the manufacturers and us, the arcade manufacturers use NiMH cells inside the games. Since they develop a memory over time, we have to replace the packs, or each individual cell so that the games can store the memory all night.

UPDATE:
also noticed it has no balancer... charger is goin back to tower!

you have to add a balancer, most chargers dont have one[&:]
Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Kemo

see thats why I was fooled into buying it. Duratrax advertised it as "ready to use" after charging (lipo).

Next charger will be one of those I keep gettin emails about distributing for, all of them have built in balancers, and they also have a discharge capability!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Chris_RC

Then if you dont like that charger show me a AC/DC charger that is $80 and can charge lipo, a123, nicad, nimh, li-ion and can charge up to 7 amps ac or dc, trinckle charges, has a discharger and a balancer. there isnt one!!!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Kemo

there is, but they come from china and minimum order is 50 of them at $50 They come from the same factory the venom ones do

however, they are floating all over ebay... no ebay links allowed though
Old 07-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also Nimh cells will go into cell reversal if you discharge them to the point of no return. Slight memory or not, you need to be careful if you do discharge them.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Chris_RC

ya but do you get a 5 year warranty with it?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Chris_RC

and with that charger it doesnt charge a123 or li-ion and I think it is only DC. Plus no trickle charge and a couple other things. Plus, I got my charger for $90 and that is going for $111.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Kemo

There are AC adapters for these chargers, and yes they charge almost every sort of Li- variation for r/c. The A8 does 1-8 cells, whereas the A6 does 1-6 cells.

Warranty varies depending on which distributor you buy from. Some are 90 day, some are lifetime.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: Kemo

There are AC adapters for these chargers, and yes they charge almost every sort of Li- variation for r/c. The A8 does 1-8 cells, whereas the A6 does 1-6 cells.

Warranty varies depending on which distributor you buy from. Some are 90 day, some are lifetime.
yea, and there are dischargers and balancers you can buy seperatly too.... If all you want to charge are lipo's, then there is difinatly no advantage to buying an onyx charger. A way better choice would be an FMA cellpro... built in balancer, battery "fullness" guauge as it charges, and does all li-XXX and A123. http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=45&nid=4

Also, if you think you can buy something from china on ebay with a "lifetime warranty", you are right... if you think you can actualy use the warranty though, well I have a bridge to sell you.. CHEAP!! (it is from china though....)

As for this "great" charger from china... if the discharge feature is is important to you, look at the stats... 1 amp (or 5 watts, whichever is lower) discharge MAX... you are going to discharge a 5000mah battery at 1 amp? thats 5 hours... fun...
Old 07-17-2008, 11:30 PM
jumpanddrop

i dont know much about eletric stuff. i was looking at a onyx 200 just to charge my roto starter battery, rx pack and a tx pack which are nicd and nimh batterys. would this charger be ok for that???. do i need a balancer and a dechager for nicd and nimh??