Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

T-Maxx Hop Ups

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 01:43 AM
eeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

Just got a T-Maxx, beat the heck out of it, and it runs great. So, now I ask you all for help. What do you guys and girls think the top 3 must have hop-ups are? Thanks for you help!
Old 03-15-2002, 02:25 AM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

Skid plates
tuned pipe
pull start
Old 03-16-2002, 10:59 PM
pilothyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

first and foremost servo protector plate, 2nd replace the switch with a good switch with a charge harness 3rd heavy duty body mount posts
Old 03-17-2002, 01:32 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

First thing you need are titanium turnbuckles.
Second would be personal preference, Id say a new pipe
Third Ill go with a set of skidplates/bumpers
Old 03-23-2002, 03:51 PM
eeek

Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

Alright guys, I did as told... I've ordered a steering servo skid plate (after I saw my friend's servo saver pop off), some aluminum bumpers, put in a MIP stinger, got a MegaTech .16 (grrrrr....,) fuel filter, fancy air filter, and ordered some big bore shocks (Traxxas.) My friend got the stinger first, and it did a number on performance. Of course, the engine runs hotter than most, that's why we went with the new Megatech. Check out my other posts for how I feel on that. Since we're just gonna beat the heck out of them, I think we'll stay away from metal parts. Unless, my R/C universe buddys tell me to get them.... (c:
Old 03-25-2002, 02:55 AM
ShoestringRacer

Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

the Maxx Pro-Line suspension is great because it widens the wheel track which lessens rollovers and it gives you much more adjustability in ride height/center of gravity. I highly recommend this kit
Old 03-25-2002, 03:49 AM
eeek

Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

I've been eyeing the Pro-Line suspension. Few questions.... I know it adds to the stability, but does it help/hurt jumps? Does it come with turnbuckles? Should I drop in CVD's at the same time? If you had to put a throttle level on turns, for example, I have to drop my throttle to 1/4 for a sharp turn with stock suspension, what throttle speed will this suspension take? 1/2? 3/4? I know that is a lot of question about one upgrade, but, thanks ahead of time for any answers.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:08 AM
ShoestringRacer

Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

dont know about that throttle business. mine jumps fine. it does come with necessary longer turnbuckles. if you strip the stock axles then you may want to go with cvds, but i am not sure if pro-line makes special longer ones for that susp. kit (obviously the reg. cvd upgrades will be too short)...if you dont know about this site, it is the absolute best T/E-Maxx site out there, it's www.maxxtraxx.com always get good answers to anything and everything T-MAXX!!
Old 04-03-2002, 04:28 AM
majorpayne

Default hop ups

Pro-Line offers the longer CVD for the suspension,but they
are made by MIP for Pro-Line.They are not offered by MIP.
They will be packaged by Pro-Line.Have not had any problems with mine,I am running a Ofna hyper .21 engine with Unlimited Engineering's FOC. I stripped 3 traxxas FOC.

I would also consider replacing the plastic ladder braces with
aluminum ones.It makes the chasis more ridged.

Maybe consider a thicker chasis like RC Raven chasis.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:31 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

FOC???

youve got a .21 in it, do you break alot of stuff???
Old 04-04-2002, 02:17 AM
majorpayne

Default FOC?

FOC stands for forward only conversion.
It does away with the jerking motion when you first
accelerate the tmaxx,but you lose reverse.I broke the trans 3
times before I put in the traxxas FOC($11.00).I could get maybe 1-2 tanks of fuel run before I brake the traxxax FOC.Stripped 3 of them.Put in unlimited engineering's FOC and have no problems with it.
I made me an extended chasis out of 3/8" thick aluminum.
Only thing that is not aluminum is the pro-line suspension setup.
Only thing I really kept breaking was the trasmission due to the
torque and horsepower of the .21 engine.
Going out to track to get some run time on truck and some practice.With the pro-line suspension I can turn with the throttle
around 3/4.The truck has about the same top speed as a stock truck due to the same gearing,but with the .21 it has more accelaration.
I am going to upload some pics to the members gallery
of my truck,so check it out.They will be listed under my screenname(p47tbolt).
Old 04-04-2002, 06:25 PM
Butch R

Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

eeek, While I'm not pro Pro-line, pun intended. I am an advocate of Ulimited Engineering. Check out their site at http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/

Also check out http://www.maxxtraxx.com/

While my opinion that unlimited's upgrades are quite the Ferraris of the world you also spend a little more. Check it out and form your own opinion. You do have choices. Once again you get what you pay for.

Butch R
Old 04-04-2002, 07:09 PM
eeek

Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

Since I posted this, I have found tons of info on this subject. While I am new to the T-Maxx, I am not new to computers. So, I search the web and found a lot of ideas. And, a heck of a lot of opinions. Unlimited's upgrades look great, but I have a question: I've heard that alum looks great, but either shears or breaks when under stress. I jump a lot. At the local BMX track. I've used the stock suspension setup (other than big bore shocks) and I haven't broken anything yet. And I just getting lucky? Is it true that alum breaks not bends? I saw a guy at the LHS the other day with sheard screws and a broken skid plate (alum.) He was there to go back to stock suspension and skid plates. So, I am a little scared to drop $200 on alum stuff.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Steve Campbell2

Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

eeek,

Go to <rccentral.com> and read Lee's comments on upgrading the T-Maxx.

I too have been scouring the Web the past week or so, as I'm about to buy a T-Maxx for my grandson. Lee's treatise on why you DON'T need to take out a second mortgage to pay for upgrades, aluminum or otherwise, is a cogent masterpiece of information that the aftermarket parts guys don't want you to know.

Naturally, this is a very subjective topic. But the article in question offers a very frank, no-nonsense look at the situation. How you take it is up to you...

Steve
Old 04-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

my brothers t-maxx has a bunch of alluminum on it i have ran dead into a rock doin about twenty and the maxx shot about 5 feet straight up into the air vertically then landed the aluminum skid plate had a gouge in it and bent back a bit but nothing broke where as had everything been stock it would have snapped
Old 04-04-2002, 09:29 PM
eeek

Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

Steve- right on the money. It's really hard to find fist hand experience. I hear/read/see a lot of things like, my friend/brother/some one at the track has a 'x' part, and 'It's the best!' It's hard to find, I bought it, it stinks, I went back to stock. I agree with the article that some hop-ups aren't worth it, but there are some to improve the experince. Again, thanks! Side note, what do you think of the housefly? http://www.micro-flight.com/HouseFLY.htm See it? Flown it? What do you think? I do have CSM v10 and I'd like to have a fun little toy.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:58 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T-Maxx Hop Ups

Haven't seen that one before; or heard anything about it.

What I think is significant is what they DON'T tell you in the ad; like what kind of control system, etc. I'm betting it is fixed pitch, which is a real bear to get a handle on, even for experienced heli pilots.

This is obviously an indoor machine. There are several other "mini-copters" like this (can't recall their names just now) that come well recommended and feature collective pitch. But, as a genre, they are quite limited in what you can do with them.

I dunno, this might be a neat gadget. Personally, I think electric helis, for the average sport pilot, are not yet anywhere close to glow-powered machines. There is the German Logo series of electric helis that are quite respectable; but only a serious e-guy need apply. It takes VERY expensive batteries, with a commensurately high-priced charging system to feed them, to get the full level of performance out of the ship. Unless you already have the necessary support equipment, you'll end up spending more than a complete glow set-up would cost.

Still, this House Fly thing cannot be considered a serious sport machine, but it might be just the ticket for some indoor fun.

Sorry I couldn't offer more info; too busy learning about these trucks...<G>

Steve