Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Noob lipo/brushless question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:59 PM
hoosier_rc_nut
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob lipo/brushless question

Hey all. Just a little background about me. I haven't been into r/c since somewhere around the late '80s early '90s. To put it another way the RC10 was still king of the r/c buggies, so I don't know a whole lot about the new tech stuff available now. That brings me to my questions. Can a lipo be ran with a brushed motor, and vise versa can a brushless motor/esc be ran from a battery that isn't a lipo, or do the two HAVE to go hand in hand? It's just one of those kinds of questions that just popped into my head so I figured I would ask, but like I said, it's been a while since I've been into anything r/c. Oh, and if anyone wants to know I'm currently running a Duratrax Evader B/X with stock esc, Traxxas Tx/RX Servo, and a modified motor that I bought used, so the best I can guess is somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 to 17 turns. I take it to a local outlaw track and see what I can do with it. I'm also working on getting an all aluminum Losi Mini-T up and running. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Noob lipo/brushless question

just about all brushless esc's meant for 1/10 scale rc's will run a brushed motor as well(the traxxas vxl esc/sidewinder esc/mamba)
you can run a 2s lipo on some non-brushless esc's, but you will need a lipo monitor(it will keep the lipo's voltage from dropping to low)
you can use nimh batteries with brushless esc and motor. but, if its a really old battery, its gonna get really hot. you should get a quality nimh(at least 3000mah)

brushless motors and lipo batteries will blow your mind. they run longer, cooler and with far more power.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Druss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noob lipo/brushless question

Batteries are batteries, the technology may be different but all they do is supply power. It's like asking whether there's a difference between alkaline, nimh or nicad AA batteries (besides the voltage).

For our purposes nicad/nimh batteries (6 cell) are 7.2v and lipo (2S) are 7.4v so no real difference in the voltage provided. The biggest difference you'll see is that the lipos are lighter and maintain voltage longer (but drop off faster at the end).

So as stated, as long as you have a lipo cut off (either built in or seperate) you're good to go with lipo on either a brushed or brushless esc/motor. I run both 3800mah nimh and 4000mah lipos in both brushed and brushless systems.