Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

nitro rc..what brands to stay away from

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

nitro rc..what brands to stay away from

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: nitro rc..what brands to stay away from

ORIGINAL: derrick05

ORIGINAL: KillerKowalczyk

personally, where I live there are a ton of places that carry Traxxas products, so that in itself was the main reason I bought a Traxxas for my first truck. I wanted to be able to fix it. However everyone seems to think that HPI are the most durable vehicles, and it seems like companies like LOSI, Kyosho, Mugen are for all the hardcore racing types.

here are my suggestions:

Traxxas Revo 3.3
Hpi Hellfire
Hpi Savage
Hpi Firestorm
CEN 1/8 vehicles are the absolute touhest,most durable rc out there for bashing[X(]
I will have to agree here. Cenchain (CEN) makes the GST/Genesis/Nemesis, by fay the toughest 8th scale truck on the market. As I said many times before, I dont like admitting that, I am very biased towards ths Savage (afterall, it is my favorite truck). But the GST/Genesis/Nemesis ahs a much sturdier and thicker TVP chassis, the parts geometry and teh thickness of the plastics are much thicker, and the geometry of these parts are better in some cases. This is definitely a tougher truck than all of these mentioned.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
nitro_rc _kid

I know how it is and why you should never get and online "begginer" rc i have had the worst time ever using it. also ttrying to get parts was a pain of coarse i got the truck for free and cant get any parts to swap out so they will be easy to replace. the truck is called and acme conquistidor. i want to get a new nitro rc but idk yet i just dont know any good brands.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could have started a new thread instead of resurecting an old thread
But anyways it depends
1/8th buggy I like the Ofna Jammin X1x great buggy IMO. Spent $300 on it RTR $30 on braces, and a $28 servo not put one penny into it since. Comes with a good RTR engine

Savage Great monster truck for the cash. Damn solid and has tons of hop-ups. The Savage X RTR comes with a good engine mill as far as RTR's go (same as the Jammin)

The HPI MT2 like mentioned earlier fine vehicle just the arms are kinda a weak spot, along with its hubs. Unfortunately RPM never made arms for it like they do with a pile of other vehicles so your stuck with the HPI ones. GPM knuckles on it work wonders with the knuckle problem. Otherwise solid truck. But due to the arm issues (I've broke 3 or so, most out of all my RC's) I'd recommend the jammin buggy over it seeing its cheaper, and the same physical size, and has same clearance. I find the HPI small blocks very newbie to nitro friendly.

Jammin .5 CRT RTR is a good truck I got a kit one(I made it BL), and it holds up well. I think it comes with a picco engine(never tried this engine but not heard any negatives), and sells for around $160(only nitro I would recommend under $300)

Only thing is with nitro unlike electric where the $20 Tacon BL motor will perform close to the $80 Verlinion motor, and be the same difficulty to get to run a nitro motor you get what you pay for. Buy a cheap motor you get a cheap mill, and a cheap carb on it. A cheap motor will more than likely not hold a tune very well, and wear out faster.

Those are my opinion on what I got that works. I've had other engines that gave me headaches trying to get to run.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 AM
My Feedback: (4)

I like to go for Associated, HPI and Traxxas. In that order. You'll get good stuff, and if it don't work, those companies will support you through DVDs, good manuals, 1-800 lines and warranty centers.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

stay away from

REDCAT
Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Devils-Reject

stay away from

REDCAT
buy a

redcat.

just kidding.
for beginners it is important to buy a brand/model that your local hobby shop supports. that means both parts support, and one they can give you advice on.
do some reading on engine break-in. it is tough for many new to nitro. after the engine breakin, the motor is much easier to start.

you need to consider all the extras you will need. spare glow plugs, fuel bottle, fuel, glow plug warmer, tools ect.
even it a nitro is RTR, it doesnt come with everything you need. the above^^ are almost always sold seperately.
patience is needed with any nitro. you dont pull these things out of the box and start running them! proper breakin takes hours.
and even running them takes extra time....time to setup and start running, and then time to clean them afterwards, get all the fuel out ect.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 PM
ElectricGuy007

1) Tamiya 2)Associated 3)HPI 4)Losi 5)Traxxas
Are basically the only companies Ive stuck with.
Id reccomend Yokomo but they have shut down US operations and I only got one car I race by them.
They are a mix of Tamiya and Assocaited. So basically Tamiya and Assocaited parts fit my Yokomo.

My Touring Car Latemodel

Darn wrong thread....im so sorry...it's titled Nitro...[:@]
Old 01-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Bluethunder3320

i like team associated brand, i have had an ofna lx-1 and the radio is crap. you will need a better one, i suggest 2.4 ghz. i had a traxxas 2.4ghz link. worked perfect.

i also blew up the engine... because of the crappy radio failure it went into a fence WOT and there goes my engine... after 2 gallons or not even.

but i also had a radio glitch on the first run.

oh and it also glitched and went into a brook.... totally underwater. fried all the servos and after a week the reciever finally died.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Darn wrong thread....im so sorry...it's titled Nitro...[:@]

Don't sweat it. Tamiya aside, generally, someone who makes good nitros makes good electrics as well.

Speaking of that, I wonder why Tamiya makes such awesome electrics, but hasn't had much luck with nitro...