Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can cheap RC cars be modded?

Hi, I thought about buying a cheap RC from a department store to see if I could mod it. I know it's not hobby grade. That's kind of the reason I want it. I thought that I could waterproof it, put bigger tires, and maybe some other small things. Before I spend my $25, is what I want to do possible? I've seen a few on youtube where they have new bright remote control trucks and I can't tell a big difference between them and the cheap ones. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Can cheap RC cars be modded?

U mean something from Wal-Mart or something like that? What exactly were you looking at?
    Traxxas S-Maxx, XTM XLB, Ultra LX Pro, Revo, FG 2WD MT, TT ST-1, Traxxas Jato

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Thunderbird93

U mean something from Wal-Mart or something like that? What exactly were you looking at?
    yes. I've seen them everywhere around this time of year. Wal-Mar, Target, Kohl's, even Macy's has them. They are just cheap new bright or nikko about $25.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I doubt it very much.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some folks said they put silicon sealer on the "diffs,' but I don' t know where that would be on a cheap on of if I could get to it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also johnnyRC you could look at the X Mods brand found at Radio Shack. Which probably would be what your looking for.[sm=cool.gif]

//www.xmodsrc.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There r no diffs on the cheaper ones....do what TornadoGuy suggested and go to Radio Shack.

Johnny, not to come off as an arsehat, but it seems you are quite clueless about what you are trying to do. I am a member of a great forum (scale4x4rc.org - its down ATM cause of server problems) in which tons of guys buy cheap wal-mart type toys mostly for the hard bodies, and turn them into scale rigs and crawlers. Without the proper know how, this idea will turn out to be a dismal failure. Almost the WHOLE toy except for the body is always chucked into the garbage, then a chassis must be fabricated/adapted from a hobby grade vehicle and so on. It is more complicated than you think it is, and will not happen if the $$$ investment and knowledge aren't there.

As for "modding" a toy with hobby grade parts, there is not much at all that can be done. Even sticking in a better motor/esc combo will kill the cheap "chassis" and all the plastic pieces, waaay too fragile.

Tom.
    Team Pontiac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Johnny, not to come off as an arsehat, but it seems you are quite clueless about what you are trying to do. I am a member of a great forum (scale4x4rc.org - its down ATM cause of server problems) in which tons of guys buy cheap wal-mart type toys mostly for the hard bodies, and turn them into scale rigs and crawlers. Without the proper know how, this idea will turn out to be a dismal failure. Almost the WHOLE toy except for the body is always chucked into the garbage, then a chassis must be fabricated/adapted from a hobby grade vehicle and so on. It is more complicated than you think it is, and will not happen if the $$$ investment and knowledge aren't there.

As for "modding" a toy with hobby grade parts, there is not much at all that can be done. Even sticking in a better motor/esc combo will kill the cheap "chassis" and all the plastic pieces, waaay too fragile.

Tom.
    Any thing can be modded. You need to find pieces that will be somewhat compatible with what you have then modd those pieces to work on your vehicle. However, like rcnitrohead mentioned, you mod/ upgrade cheap with better... where do you stop. The amount of money you would dump into the thing just to make it tough enough to handle and support the every piece you put into it. My gosh you could have a nice new rig of good quality with half the hassle. Just save up and buy a good one. You will be wasting your money trying to make a cheap one into something as durable as a real one.
    just tryin to trick it out

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Tom.
    I might try that just for fun. Brushless in a Nikko Mach 3.

I hear ya, I wouldn't mind sticking in a BL system in one. I still have my old Tyco Tantrum from the early 90's and it probably still works, a BL system would be ballistic. I had so much fun with it as a kid[8D].

Daaaamn, a 24" long motorcycle screaming for brushless!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TYCO-RC-RADIO-CONTROL-24-TOY-SUZUKI-1000-MOTORCYCLE_W0QQitemZ230310225435QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item230310225435&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Tom.
    Team Pontiac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are all xmods the same? I saw some that were crawlers, some in the mud, etc., but when I went to radio shack .com I didn' t see any of that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those Xmods you saw are probably heavily modified. Then can consume your wallet almost as much as our fully hobby grade R/C's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

are all the mods availabble at radio shack?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

are all the mods availabble at radio shack?
    I know that you can find the upgraded motor there, but any other upgrades would have to be bought off of X Mods themselves.

Here's there site

//www.xmodsrc.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Atomicmods.com, is another site with a lot of parts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

theres really no point modding a cheap walmart car
    Maxx 2.5, Revo 3.3, Savage XL,Ofna lx1,Tornado BB,Pede xl-5,exceed infinity,redcat lightning, redcat Vortex SS,CEN FF/NX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree, I got four or five new brights, nikkos and other toy type cars sitting around to donate a body, thats it, I have repaired broken ones for little kids but its pretty cheesey stuff, 280 motors with plastic spur gears booger welded right to the shaft, the spur pitch was not one of the 5 different ones I got, maybe the bigger ones have 540 sized motors I really don't know, the bodies for most 1:18 named jeeps and such are pretty close to 10th scale real rc stuff so we have had some unmolested and some slightly cut up nikko bodies on tamiya buggies, hpi mt2 and rush, pedes and even a slash as well as 10 or more rock crawler chassis lol.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did it a couple times. Didn't get far with them, well one went far, but it was very underpowered. In one costco toy, I installed a 19t brushed motor and an LRP F-1 esc into a newbright skidoo mxz. It worked, but not good enough, so I jammed the mm4600 system in it and wow, it came to life. But it was short lived, the track wasnt tight enough, kept slipping, and the cheap plastic gears where eventually shredded.

Fun if its free, but not worth spending money on...

Cheers.
    D-Spec:TA03F/VXL~(XB)TT-01~TB-02~TB-02Pro
    R-Spec:E-Jato/MM5700~CF Rusty/MM4600~E-Savage/MM5800
    B-Spec:MT2/VXL~Bandit/VXL