Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Nitro
59.79%
electric
40.21%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Nitro vs. Electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM
ejc34710

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro vs. Electric

Geeeeeez, im so sick of these threads. They both have their places. I like both of them. The speed of elecric these days is insane. Although, in rc car and truck applications is just way to B-O-R-I-N-G for me. I like to fire up my nitro engine, i like the smell, the sound of it as it sreams past you shifting into second. I also think half the fun is working on rc cars, so nitro fills the bill there. But, when it comes to helis, eletric all the way. Airplanes? Either or. Boats? Either or. This is not a question with a right anwser, just a preference.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

i love the maintenace and tinkering just as much as the driving... definatly nitro!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:57 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run nitro because it's just cooler. It's also better, for me anyways. One gallon of fuel is only 20-25 bucks and that gallon lasts me at least a year, I don't have to spend a fortune on running gear to get excellent performance, and I get the sweet sound of an engine screaming along. I can also run for an hour straight without stopping to swap expensive batteries. Or lots of cheap ones.

I know brushless electric is faster than nitro, but honestly, I would gladly sacrifice 15MPH on the top end, which I'll never hit anyways seeing as my nitros are about 10MPH faster than my skills can handle as it is, for the sounds, sights and smells of a tiny-ass little engine screaming along. If I can, I will have the nitro version. I'd have a nitro Mini-Z if I could, honest to god.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:48 PM
TIGER76

wheres gasser option? we all know its the best lol
Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 PM

Just lump it into Nitro. We're all running genuine engines in ours, regardless of what we feed them.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: python661

Ok. So just vote for your favorite and post a comment on why.

There has been alot of disscussion on this. This poll should sort it
Oh yeah man this pole is defintally going to sort this all out. All you have done is added to this argument. Electric is good for begginers, faster, and easier to maintain, it will also accelrate very fast. Nitro is high matience, fun to tinker with for some, loud, noisy, and IMO is way cooler. That is all there is to say. RC universe is clogged with this fourms. AS you said there as been lots of arguments about this, and all you're doing is adding to it. Can the mods shut this down? Please!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Wow nitros currently winning by almost 2X.

I'm actually shocked cause of how most people's attitudes against nitro are on this board.

Side note I find nitro easier to setup, and break in than dialing in a non-stock electric
Old 02-23-2011, 03:41 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

ORIGINAL: python661

Ok. So just vote for your favorite and post a comment on why.

There has been alot of disscussion on this. This poll should sort it
Oh yeah man this pole is defintally going to sort this all out. All you have done is added to this argument. Electric is good for begginers, faster, and easier to maintain, it will also accelrate very fast. Nitro is high matience, fun to tinker with for some, loud, noisy, and IMO is way cooler. That is all there is to say. RC universe is clogged with this fourms. AS you said there as been lots of arguments about this, and all you're doing is adding to it. Can the mods shut this down? Please!
Shoulda told him over 2 years ago?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM
sloppyG

for whatever reason, people love to get their feelings hurt when someone else likes a different thing than they do......
Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
TIGER76

lmao @ autoXman

@ RC AWESOME - dude you need spellcheck enabled badly lol
Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: TIGER76

lmao @ autoXman

@ RC AWESOME - dude you need spellcheck enabled badly lol
Yeah I know. I type way too fast, and I am using a keyboard that is smaller than what I am used to. Probally dosn't help that i don't read over what i type.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:48 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Wow nitros currently winning by almost 2X.

I'm actually shocked cause of how most people's attitudes against nitro are on this board.

Side note I find nitro easier to setup, and break in than dialing in a non-stock electric
Doesnt matter to me. It's just a simple poll.
Last time one of these were created it was a big FLAME WAR thou.
And the mods had to lock it, so let's just wait and see what happens.

I prefer electric because tuning an RC engine requires alot of patience, patience I dont have.
Charge and go. Ive owned and driven nitro's in the past but those engines are very picky,
they have to be tuned just right or it's too rich or too lean, too much of either one is bad
for the engine. I put up with nitro's all the time they dont really bother me.
Although most people in my area that liked 8th scale nitro, now run 8th scale electric.
We sold alot of 4wd corr trucks at the LHS over christmas break, so that might be
the class everyone wants to run. and with the new 4wd Associated Corr coming
out in a few months it will get even more popular.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:21 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

iv done both.  back in the days of brushed electric and nitro i was all about electric.  today its brushless lipo and nitro.  and i just don't know or care. 

my biggest complaint with nitro was the noise/sound, how temperamental the engines were and the cost of fuel.  glow plugs, there goes $5 a month.  fuel, there goes $30 every other month.  all i ever did was throw money at it.  just couldn't catch a break financially with those things.  and then there were the days when the car simply wouldn't run to save its life.

electric never bothered me.  it would work flawlessly for months.  then i would spent $10 on brush's and a com cut and a magnet zap.  rebuilt the motor.  battery's were cheap.  spent like $40 on a halfway decent charger.  13 years later im still using that charger and 5 of those battery's.  i got more use of my investment with electric.  but with in the past few years the cost of electric technology has just gotten stupid so...

i guess my preference is which ever ones cheaper to get running and keep running long term.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

iv done both. back in the days of brushed electric and nitro i was all about electric. today its brushless lipo and nitro. and i just don't know or care.
my biggest complaint with nitro was the noise/sound, how temperamental the engines were and the cost of fuel. glow plugs, there goes $5 a month. fuel, there goes $30 every other month. all i ever did was throw money at it. just couldn't catch a break financially with those things. and then there were the days when the car simply wouldn't run to save its life.

electric never bothered me. it would work flawlessly for months. then i would spent $10 on brush's and a com cut and a magnet zap. rebuilt the motor. battery's were cheap. spent like $40 on a halfway decent charger. 13 years later im still using that charger and 5 of those battery's. i got more use of my investment with electric. but with in the past few years the cost of electric technology has just gotten stupid so...
i guess my preference is which ever ones cheaper to get running and keep running long term.
Holy cow! You must be babying those batteries and that charger along. Cool that they're still working.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

iv done both. back in the days of brushed electric and nitro i was all about electric. today its brushless lipo and nitro. and i just don't know or care.
my biggest complaint with nitro was the noise/sound, how temperamental the engines were and the cost of fuel. glow plugs, there goes $5 a month. fuel, there goes $30 every other month. all i ever did was throw money at it. just couldn't catch a break financially with those things. and then there were the days when the car simply wouldn't run to save its life.

electric never bothered me. it would work flawlessly for months. then i would spent $10 on brush's and a com cut and a magnet zap. rebuilt the motor. battery's were cheap. spent like $40 on a halfway decent charger. 13 years later im still using that charger and 5 of those battery's. i got more use of my investment with electric. but with in the past few years the cost of electric technology has just gotten stupid so...
Holy cow! You must be babying those batteries and that charger along. Cool that they're still working.
the battery's iv taken care of. the charger... not so much. there have been several days its run in 90 degree weatherfor 6-8 hours straight. it's been knocked off the workbench and droppedmore than once. it works just as good today as it did the day i bought it. i tell ya MRC made some awesome charges back in the day
Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 PM

my biggest complaint with nitro was the noise/sound,
That's my favorite part of it

how temperamental the engines were
They're only as tempermental as you make them be...

glow plugs, there goes $5 a month.
My plug has been in my engine so long I forgot where I bought it from. I think I got it when Julius Caeser was in power...

That plug still works just fine.

fuel, there goes $30 every other month.
How often did you run?! A single gallon lasts me at least a year, and that's assuming I actually get around to using it all before it goes bad.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 PM
suburban_hooligan

[quote]ORIGINAL: 378They're only as tempermental as you make them be...[quote]
idk man. Monday it would run great. Tuesday it would barely start, run like crap, and not hold a tune. the difference, 24 hours,3 degrees and 2% humidity. Wednesday and Thursday it would work great. Friday its back to running like crap. i remember more than one occasion where it would run awesome one day and not even start the next
[quote]ORIGINAL: 378How often did you run?! A single gallon lasts me at least a year, and that's assuming I actually get around to using it all before it goes bad.[quote]
this was back in high school. i was running every day. probably averaging about 40min of actual running a day. i would go through a glow plug about every 5 weeks and a gallon about every 8 or 9 weeks. and that was just with a .15 in a TC.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM
nitroholic

I love nitro,the only worry i have is it causing cancer.Some don't like the smell,i'm used to it.Like the Folgers song:Thefresh startof waking up
is nitro in my tank.That or the noise,but that's what ear plugs are for.Some of them elec are fast though,but it takes , what 20secs top to fill start and race with nitro,as i don't really know how long it takes to recharge a battery,my 7.2v takes 20 min for the ez start,cause it's the 1200,if it were the 1800 i think it's like 32min.No idea how electric cars and boats are,i own nitro only right now,but i would like to learn more about electric.Cause where i'm at there's an indoor carpet track,it looks fun.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53204.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1568935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95348.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1568936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85493.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1568937  
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

[quote]ORIGINAL: 378They're only as tempermental as you make them be...
idk man. Monday it would run great. Tuesday it would barely start, run like crap, and not hold a tune. the difference, 24 hours, 3 degrees and 2% humidity. Wednesday and Thursday it would work great. Friday its back to running like crap. i remember more than one occasion where it would run awesome one day and not even start the next
Odd. My engine does not do that. You must have had an air leak or something. Or maybe just a really crappy engine.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:35 PM
suburban_hooligan

[quote]ORIGINAL: 378

ORIGINAL: 378They're only as tempermental as you make them be...
idk man. Monday it would run great. Tuesday it would barely start, run like crap, and not hold a tune. the difference, 24 hours,3 degrees and 2% humidity. Wednesday and Thursday it would work great. Friday its back to running like crap. i remember more than one occasion where it would run awesome one day and not even start the next
Odd. My engine does not do that. You must have had an air leak or something. Or maybe just a really crappy engine.
HPI nitro star .15fe its not a bad engine, but by no means is it a good engine. one time it did develop an air leak. it was running and just shut off. the screws holding the back of the block on came loose. i had to pull the back of the engine off and replace a gasket. shortly after the stock carb crapped out. i replaced it with an OS carb. at that point it ether ran awesome or not at all. currently that engine is just a paper weight.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 PM

HPI nitro star .15fe its not a bad engine, but by no means is it a good engine. one time it did develop an air leak. it was running and just shut off. the screws holding the back of the block on came loose. i had to pull the back of the engine off and replace a gasket. shortly after the stock carb crapped out. i replaced it with an OS carb. at that point it ether ran awesome or not at all. currently that engine is just a paper weight.

That explains it. Yeah...not the best engine ever made by a mile. Single needle carb, nickel plated sleeve instead of Chrome, and I think they only cost 50 bucks for a brand new one. Back when I was first getting into RC I was looking at a Rush that would have come with one but I instead ended up buying a CEN off eBay mostly because of what I read about the .15FE.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 PM
nitroholic

I had one to,and it also just stoped running,it ran exelent till one day,it didn't do nothing.It was a really easy engine,i don't know i still look at them on ebay,i want the evo .18.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
suburban_hooligan

surprisingly i only had to replace the piston and sleeve once.  and the OS carb i put on it was a 2 needle.  engine also had the optional purple heat sink head and tuned pipe.  it was in a nitro RS4 2.  i had a few minor problems with that car.  lets just say i won't be buying anymore used nitro's
Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

[quote]ORIGINAL: 378

ORIGINAL: 378They're only as tempermental as you make them be...
idk man. Monday it would run great. Tuesday it would barely start, run like crap, and not hold a tune. the difference, 24 hours, 3 degrees and 2% humidity. Wednesday and Thursday it would work great. Friday its back to running like crap. i remember more than one occasion where it would run awesome one day and not even start the next
lol my used MT1 had one. Thing almost made me quit nitro till I got fed up with it, polished it up, and decided it made an excellent paperweight.
Got a newer HPI Nitro star .15 for the MT1, it starts up every time, and runs perfect. Hell I ran probably 20 tanks on it, and am still on the break in glow plug that came with it
Would run it more but I got a Savage X, and jammin X1x CR that kinda get used more.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 PM
meef rustler

Umm, since calories iz um you know energi, I Liek to run my trucks on McDonalds. Lotsa powa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.