Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What nitro truck is better for a newb?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Team Losi Aftershock
52.00%
Traxxas T-maxx 3.3
48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

What nitro truck is better for a newb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:41 PM
streiter10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What nitro truck is better for a newb?

plz explain
Old 12-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What nitro truck is better for a newb?

This is hard for me to say, but I would recommend a Traxxas T-MAXX as your first Nitro. I'm not a big Traxxas fan, but the EZ start is good for beginners and their motors are fairly easy to tune. I've not dealt with the Aftershock, but I believe that it comes with a pull start and you have to be a pretty good tuner to get pullstarts to start the engine without your arm falling off(Especially when doing the first break in runs). If you have a friend that is a proficient nitro tuner, than by all means by the Losi over the Traxxas.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Barber420

This is hard for me to say, but I would recommend a Traxxas T-MAXX as your first Nitro. I'm not a big Traxxas fan, but the EZ start is good for beginners and their motors are fairly easy to tune. I've not dealt with the Aftershock, but I believe that it comes with a pull start and you have to be a pretty good tuner to get pullstarts to start the engine without your arm falling off(Especially when doing the first break in runs). If you have a friend that is a proficient nitro tuner, than by all means by the Losi over the Traxxas.
This is what is cool about the Aftershock! It comes with a pull start AND a spin start. this is how it works: There is the normal pull-start, but on the pull start there is the spin start where you can use that or a cordless drill. But you have to buy the spin start. IMO it is really cool because you can fire it up at the beginner with the spin start, and since the engine is already warm you can start it by the pull start. IMO I would get the Aftershock no doubt about it.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:56 PM
MadManAndrew

Neither, get a Savage. Other's will agree with me below[>:]
Old 12-31-2008, 06:59 PM
streiter10

savage is over 400 im not spending over 4. Too much other stuff
Old 12-31-2008, 08:14 PM
FloridaDude

the traxxas engines are easy to tune but they need to be tuned all the time.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:22 PM
MadManAndrew

[link=]WOW![/link]$310 Savage...Wait, just remebered. no ebay links!Sorry, had to break it...but gbwlaw1093 is selling Savages for very low prices on ebay...
Old 12-31-2008, 09:16 PM
scoobs92

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with the savage but that is costly i started my 9yr old son with the 2.5 maxx and it has been good for him and parts are easy to get and its easy to work on the maxx is a sturdy truck
Old 01-01-2009, 10:00 PM
streiter10

soo the savage x 4.6 is the best choice?
Old 01-01-2009, 10:55 PM
MadManAndrew

yes, by far...
Old 01-01-2009, 11:33 PM
bigbama1962

t-maxx or revo go ahead and get the 3.3
Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 PM
My Name Is Brad

Traxxas nitros are junk and I would do everything you can to stay away from them. I have so many horror stories about tmaxxas you wouldnt even find it funny. They break if you look at them the wrong way and they are outdated. The only thing they have going for them is the parts support.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree about the Savage. In your shoes, get a Savage 4.6X. The Aftershock is a cool truck, but probably needs an upgrade or two With the Savage you'll be good to go right away. It'll be fast though, so be careful...
Old 01-02-2009, 01:24 PM
warheadforever

Maxx man! I love Traxxas stuff, all VERY high quality stuff.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:55 PM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

[:@]And here we go.I knew this guy was going to come on here with that savage crap.It never fails.You asked about two specific trucks,neither being a savage.Just look at this guys other post and youll see what I mean.And with a name like herrsavage,its not hard to guess what the answer is going to be there.Its bad when youre so partial to savages that you cant even answer this guys question that has nothing to do with a savage.If he were interested in savages,then that would have been part of his poll.What makes coke better than pepsi?Pepsi lovers will say one thing and coke lovers something else,but sprite isnt part of the question,so sprite lovers just need to keep their fat mouth shut until called upon[>:].Out of the two you asked about,go with Traxxas if you want to work on them all the time because their durability is terrible.Dont believe me,just search the forums.Losi is much better quality in every way.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:06 PM
lositwo

First of all, it really depends on what your LHS stocks parts for. You want quick access to parts to fix your RC. Parts will break no matter what truck you choose. I myself have a Savage but between the two you are asking about definitely losi. Search through the forums and see what is being said both good and bad about these trucks.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 PM
FRENCHBLUE72

T maxx for the support and thats it. I hate mine but you asked about a losi or t maxx so thats what im offering.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 AM
streiter10

wow, the is even.... thats just weird
Old 01-03-2009, 11:46 AM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: derrick05

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

[:@]And here we go.I knew this guy was going to come on here with that savage crap.It never fails.You asked about two specific trucks,neither being a savage.Just look at this guys other post and youll see what I mean.And with a name like herrsavage,its not hard to guess what the answer is going to be there.Its bad when youre so partial to savages that you cant even answer this guys question that has nothing to do with a savage.If he were interested in savages,then that would have been part of his poll.What makes coke better than pepsi?Pepsi lovers will say one thing and coke lovers something else,but sprite isnt part of the question,so sprite lovers just need to keep their fat mouth shut until called upon[>:].Out of the two you asked about,go with Traxxas if you want to work on them all the time because their durability is terrible.Dont believe me,just search the forums.Losi is much better quality in every way.
You should keep your mouth shut too. No one asked for you be such an a**hole. MadManAndrew suggested the Savage because it is a good truck and will probably have a lower long term cost than both of these trucks. Just because the poll is between the Aftershock and the T-Maxx doesn't mean other MT's shouldn't be considered. It's not a simple poll to see who likes what best it's for a person to decide which he should spend his hard earned money on. I'm sure he'd like a less costly alternative(long term). On that note...Shut your face Derrick05.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 AM
nitro rc

definitely go with the Tmaxx 3.3 Traxxas is a very good company and the tmaxx has electric start. I have the tmaxx 2.5 and the only thing i have bought for it was more fuel and new glowplugs. The only thing i have broken was a small pin inside the tranny. It is very durable and very easy to break in. It should come with a DVD on how to break it in and tune it and do everything you need to know about it. THe ez start electric starter makes the whole experience easier. A lot more people own the tmaxx over the aftershock so you will be able to get alot more help with it on this website. but whatever you choose you will love.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: nitro rc

definitely go with the Tmaxx 3.3 Traxxas is a very good company and the tmaxx has electric start. I have the tmaxx 2.5 and the only thing i have bought for it was more fuel and new glowplugs. The only thing i have broken was a small pin inside the tranny. It is very durable and very easy to break in. It should come with a DVD on how to break it in and tune it and do everything you need to know about it. THe ez start electric starter makes the whole experience easier. A lot more people own the tmaxx over the aftershock so you will be able to get alot more help with it on this website. but whatever you choose you will love.
Then you must have gotten lucky. Most people hate the T-Maxx's and most have hardly ever driven them more than a couple minutes without breaking something.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:18 PM
nitro rc

I guess so because i have over 3gallons on it but the last half gallon has had no comression so I am getting another 2.5 or a 3.3
Old 01-03-2009, 01:17 PM
FRENCHBLUE72

I can tell you that most of the parts on my t maxx have been replaced so its pretty much not even a t maxx anymore...