Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Rolled the car, cracked the tank..now what?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rolled the car, cracked the tank..now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 06:44 PM
jpetrusek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolled the car, cracked the tank..now what?

Can I use some electrical/duct tape as a temp fix? Theres no hole, it's just that theres a slight crack, and under stress, it tends to leak nitro out and well, thats a waste..
Old 06-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Redwind

Just get a new one. The last thing you want is a leak in the tank. It will cause your fuel mixture to lean out and potentially ruin your engine. Besides nitro fuel aint cheap.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:11 PM
jpetrusek

Originally posted by Redwind
Just get a new one. The last thing you want is a leak in the tank. It will cause your fuel mixture to lean out and potentially ruin your engine. Besides nitro fuel aint cheap.
yeah I got a new one on order...probably wont get it until the end of next week if all goes well...

just wondering if i can "tape" it as a temp fix.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Rex2342

You can use some shoe goo for a temp fix and it should last till you get your new tank if you absolutely must run before that.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:12 PM
jpetrusek

Originally posted by Rex2342
You can use some shoe goo for a temp fix and it should last till you get your new tank if you absolutely must run before that.
cool thanks for the tip!
Old 06-11-2003, 12:11 AM
kyokai2

For a temperary fix you could sand the spot and put some JB weld over the crack and that should stop it.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:43 AM
skirecs

I wouldn't run at all till new tank comes.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:26 AM
Dlock

You could use silicon caulk. It's made of silicon, the same as your fuel lines. So the nitro fuel won't eat away at it.....
Old 06-11-2003, 05:44 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Its tough to get any type of glue to stick to the plastic tank after its had fuel in it, because the fuel has so much oil in it. I can understand not wanting to wait to play though! @nd day air is a good thing to keep in mind when getting those parts you need now. Overnight is too much $, 2nd day air is usually reasonable at least.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:07 PM
jpetrusek

Originally posted by TODD MARSH
Its tough to get any type of glue to stick to the plastic tank after its had fuel in it, because the fuel has so much oil in it. I can understand not wanting to wait to play though! @nd day air is a good thing to keep in mind when getting those parts you need now. Overnight is too much $, 2nd day air is usually reasonable at least.
Yeah I'm having the stuff shipped ground, I also burned off my 2nd spur gear so had to order a bunch of stuff anyway. Funds are tight so I'm sort of stuck with the cheapest shipment method. Also it's hard to find parts for a Nitro Razor. THe local HobbyTown tells me they don't carry replacement parts and they won't even order parts for me. And I can't order direct from Megatech for whatever reason...

I'm seriously thinking of selling this car once I get it back together and running and getting an off-road/monster like the TMaxx or something
Old 06-11-2003, 12:18 PM
James1701

I think I would clean it off with alcohol and then use 5 minute epoxy. The stuff that you mix with the two tubes. That will hold it forever. just don't put so much in the it goes in the tank. Just smear a good coat over the crack.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:46 PM
spadworld

Got a Soldering Iron? Got a flat tip for it? Take your soldering iron and heat it up Find a small plastic bottle that looks like it's made of the same stuff. MILK JUGS work great! Snip off some of the jug like it's your glue stick. CLEAN the Tanks out side surface! Now take your soldering iron and slowly heat and push original plastic to the crack that's on the tank. Slowly heat the crack and move down it to smooth it out. Use the milk jug piece to add MORE PLASTIC to the now thinner area. Take your time and allow it to cool so it doesn't warp. You can fuse the crack completely back together and cover it with the milk jug plastic by heating it enough to melt it to a CLEAR fluid. This can last you till your new tank arives and can also be used as a back up. I've done this many times and have had mixed results. The results get better with practice.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:03 PM
DSA.308

Now that guys thinking! I think you have a fix that will work there Spadworld!
Old 06-12-2003, 01:22 AM
spadworld

I does work and it works well. I've done it with many Airplane fuel tanks since I used wood screws for my engine mount to the fire wall. One small crash and the tank was punctured. I've completed this close to 20 times and have only had a few leak. To test for leaks close the lid TIGHT use a couple of rubber bands to help hold it tight. Use new fuel lines and push tank under water. Pinch off one line and blow into the other. Blow harder and harder until the cap finally leaks air. If you haven't seen any signs of any leaks any where else then the tank is sealed up tight. If you do find tiny bubbles escaping where you melted it back together then repeat the above steps but heat it a little more. Remember this plastic turns clear when melted.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:09 AM
DSA.308

I always wondered how you pressure test a tank for leaks underwater, thanks!