Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tip for Winter Running(Good one!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip for Winter Running(Good one!)

Hey guys. I've been meaning to post this for a couple of months now, but keep forgetting. Anyhow, something I figured out this winter that helps a TON with post driving clean up is to let the truck get cold.

For example, with my Clod I set the RC outside, battery stays inside and warm of course, and then wait 10-30 minutes depending on how cold it is to run it. What happens is that everything on the RC then becomes 32* or less in temperature. I then can go and drive around in six inches of snow and when my batttery is dead their is virtually no snow stuck on the RC at all!

Since the truck starts out at below freezing temps it prevents the snow from hitting what would otherwise be a 70* surface and melting. Once it melts and then refreezes it's a pain to get all off, even using a blow gun set at 120psi. However, if I let it get cold first what tiny amounts of snow do get on it just blow off by using my breath.

It works brilliantly and I no longer drive my RC's in the winter without pre-freezing them. Hope this helps somebody, even though it's getting late in the season and all.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tip for Winter Running(Good one!)

what really makes sense about what you do is that keeping the snow hitting the rc from melt helps prevent water from getting on the esc and Rx! snow can be knocked off easy and stays on top of parts, water gets into even the smallest spaces. good idea you have there.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 PM
HJJFFFAA

Too bad this won't work for nitros.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, it is a bummer about the nitros. We've thought about letting them sit outside for a while then bringing them back in and trying to only heat the engine block and head with a hair dryer, but we're always too lazy to try. We figure the outcome wouldn't be worth the work anyhow.

nitrosport, letting them get cold so the snow doesn't turn into water is another nice benefit that I forgot to mention. Usually, it's cold enough outside that the motors, ESC, and battery(for the most part) stay cool enough that they don't melt the snow either! I don't really worry about water though, I have my Rx's and ESC's waterproofed with liquid tape. I could drive my LB and Clod underwater and it wouldn't matter! I only waterproof Rx's on my buggies and ST's, I basically only race those on my track when it's dry anyhow.