Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hard starts when cold, rich runs

Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 AM
supastar1568

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starts when cold, rich runs

Hey all,

I've had the chance to break in my RT-X27 with some fun runs. Although, whenever I first start it for the day, it takes probably about 10 minutes to get it going. I have to keep turning the engine over in 5 seconds bursts for a good amount of time. Also, when it finally does start it seems to run extremely rich. I see fuel pouring out of the exhaust, and acceleration is choppy and slow. However, after about 10 minutes of running, acceleration becomes much better and with smoothness and consistency.

Any particular things I should adjust to possibly fix this issue? I see videos all of the time where it takes only 1 or 2 pulls on the starter to get it going. Mine probably takes about 10-15.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 AM
twomanytoys

Default RE: Hard starts when cold, rich runs

Well first off do you prime the carb prior to starting and if you broke in the engine you need to start leaning it out. Another thing is that if you are using the same plug as you did with break in I bet its weak. Lots of things you could be doing wrong. Im thinking its a combination. Not priming line and running too rich.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 AM
supastar1568

I have been priming the engine, in fact, sometimes i get better results when i remove the air filter and pour the fuel into the carb directly. Usually, i can hear the engine firing off of this fuel and almost starting, sometimes it does. Other times it just takes a bit longer. But maybe I will try changing out the glow plugs, they look good when i test them out, but maybe it is not enough.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 AM
[email protected]

you should make sure your glow plug is ok and the glow starter is charged.Also before u try to start the car for the first time of the day add your fuel and put your finger over the exhaust hole and turn the car over 1 or 2 pulls on the starter.this should help. Also how cold is it where u r.There is 3 different types of glow plugs,COLD,MID,Hot u mite need to change.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 AM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you need a portable heater gun.. heat the engine up for a minute..you can usually start it in one pull..I do that here in Canada when it's -25 celcius
Old 03-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Chris_RC

NEVER start a cold engine unless you are desperate. When you start a cold engine (first start of the day) it puts tremendous stress on the connecting rod. Cold starts are just as bad, if not worse than break in. If the con rod fails the p/s will probably too. So get a heat gun (hair dryer does ok, but you really want a heat gun) and heat the crankcase and heat, also the crankshaft where the bearings and flywheel is, and the heat to get it to about 150-200 degrees. This will make it unbelievably easy to start and helps the engine out a ton. I learned this from an engine modder. His company is Houston's Engine Service. [8D]