Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

LED's???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 08:40 AM
RC SNYPER
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED's???????

does anyone know of the LED's that where on ebay under tamiya rc but now i can't find them, they were 17.99 for 4 led's . the guy said they are not lights , lights will melt the lexan body , they were supposed to be taped to the car boddy and give the hid offect of the real lights , but now i can't find him!! If you know of any other rc led's or light's that you have could you tell me i need a set of red one's for my Gravedigger body. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:24 PM
jtrnp2001

Default LED's???????

Okay-this one can be done MUCH cheaper than 17.99 for 4. If you go to radioshack (or any other electronics store) you can pick up leds in almost any color. If your local electronics store does not have the color you want, you could order off of a site such as http://www.partsexpress.com Get any number you want, and read on the back what voltage they are.

If you use a 7.2 volt pack to power your truck, (measure with a meter how much power you have)(it is often more than 7.2, usually about 8.4) and your LEDs have a forward voltage of 1.5 volts, you simply divide to find the number of LEDs you need. Example---8.3/1.5=4.8. Since you can't have .8 of a LED, you would want to round up so that you don't give your LEDs too much voltage and fry them. But keep in mind, different LEDs have different voltages, so you will probably need to do your own simple math to figure this out. When you wire them this way, you need to wire in series (each positive wire on the LED connects to the next LED's negative wire.

An alternate method-
If it was necessary to have exactly 4 LEDs (you can combine colors, by the way) you could use a resistor to obtain the necessary voltage. To do this, first subtract the combined LEDs forward voltage from 7.2 Volts (or whatever voltage you are using (you could use a different battery than your main one). Then, you take the result, and divide that by the combined LEDs operating current. The number you have is the size resistor (in Ohms) that you need. If you can not find the exact size you need, you can get the next size higher. If you can't find one that is even close, you can wire the resistors in series (which doubles the Ohms). Here, you also want to wire the lights in series. Put your resistor on the positive wire.

This should be all the information you need to wire up the LEDs, good luck.

- Travis
Old 06-15-2003, 05:54 PM
TRCZ-delete

Default LED's???????

Wow am I sick of hearing Radio Shack.

I host my friends site XTremeLEDz.

He makes top of the line led kits.

They are alot brighter than Radioshack...ask anyone.

Heres the url to his section of the site -

http://*************.com/xtremeledz

He sells them for pretty cheap, and they come with the assecories needed. One thing I like about it is the Key switch...it uses a real key. :P

Check him out, I have heard GREAT things about him.

XTremeLEDz@*************.com - His email

http://*************.com/forums/index.php - He has a forum too.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:01 PM
jtrnp2001

Default LED's???????

OK, I'll have to check those out. I was simply describing a method for wiring LEDs, not where to purchase them. I will need to check on those for some of my purposes.

- Travis
Old 06-15-2003, 06:08 PM
volsstd

Default LED's???????

Originally posted by jtrnp2001

I
...... your own simple math to figure this out. When you wire them this way, you need to wire in parallel (each positive wire on the LEDs connects together, each negative leg connects together.

- Travis

Dude you made a mistake. With your first metod the LED's MUST be in serie. Otherwise they'll all get 8,4 volt !!

GreeTz
Ben
Old 06-15-2003, 09:01 PM
RC SNYPER

Default LED's???????

Now those are what i'm looking for , thanks ya'll.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:27 PM
spadworld

Default LED's???????

I swear this is horrible! Why pay $25 for something that only costs about $10 to make?

After I made a how to on making LED headlights and tail lights that actually brighten when the brakes are applied, I had a person show me a better site to buy LED lights from than Radio shack. To me radioshack was close and easy to get to. Now I'm going to buy my LED's else where.

Folow this link and build your own. It's simple and cheap!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...01&forumid=215

Old 06-16-2003, 03:38 PM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED's???????

yep,rediculous....make your own.Radio Shack sucks but where else are you easily gonna go get leds?The $5 white ones they have give off that blueish HID look...they'll light up the road.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:16 PM
jtrnp2001

Default LED's???????

volsstd,

Thank you. I have now corrected this mistake.

- Travis
Old 06-16-2003, 05:55 PM
bugged

Default LED's???????

I had a pair of 3volt White LEDS as headlights on my Digger, I powered them off a 9Volt battery, it hurt to look at them, lol, they were so cool until the digger hit a curb at full speed...they didn't work after that.....(Driver wasn't watching where he was going, DUH)
Old 06-18-2003, 06:45 AM
TRCZ-delete

Default LED's???????

Well the flatout truth is Radioshack ones suck.

they are about 1/2 to 1/3 the brightness. As for the price, well ok its a tiny bit high, but they are great quality..also fr the 5$ per white led from radio shack,..the whole kit is 24.00 I belive for 4 LEDz.

You guys are actually backing radioshack up...wow.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:19 PM
spadworld

Default LED's???????

Sure Radio shack LEDs aren't that great. And sure they are about 3 times the cost. But heck the store is around the corner. There's many sites that offer LED at close to 25cents for red and 1.00 for white. pretty cheap and sure tehy are a whole lot brighter too. But some people just don't buy things online. So why not pay for conveniance. Heck we do it everyday for fast food.

Or and your site is down. NICE HOSTING.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:26 PM
TRCZ-delete

Default LED's???????

Yes I know. I am going to buy my own server and hook it up.

Supposed to be able to hold 17 million files.....now thats a nice server.

The server im on is www.powweb.com ...I do NOT reccomend them.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:53 AM
spadworld

Default LED's???????

For your more popular files besure to have them cached so they load faster. Makes a difference!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 AM
alpattugay

Default RE: LED's???????

Hi!
I am a technician and i make Light kits for every kind of RC. I can help to anyone
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 AM
madbeast302

guy,
we've bought these lights for like 15 bucks from Tugay Alpat on ebay, beat the **** out of them and they don't break
one guy with a cen 7.7 hit a cement wall, smashed everything and the lights still work!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:15 AM
alpattugay

Hi!
I make Light Kits for any RC. I can help you if you write me
You can some photos about my works at www.rclight.8m.net