Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI rs4 evo3+ break in issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM
wrtoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI rs4 evo3+ break in issue

Hello,

Has anyone had an issue breaking in the Evo3+? I had a hard time getting mine started for the 1st time. I did get it started but it rev'd really fast and then died out. Any ideas? There is plenty of fuel and the engine was primed.

Thanks,

Jeff, Salem ma
Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 PM
MadManAndrew

Default RE: HPI rs4 evo3+ break in issue

It's always hard to get an engine started for the first time...Same goes for keeping it going. Others will continue my views below.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:53 PM
wrtoff

I can't believe how hard it is. I went by the book and it just doesn't work. When I turn the rotostart the engine locks up. What is causing this? Do you think the local hobby shop would help me get it going? How much would that cost for the "jump start? I would do anything to see this running smoothly! :-(((

Old 04-06-2009, 12:06 AM
MadManAndrew

The lockup is caused by two things: A flooded engine, and a low roto-start battery...When you crank away and crank away on the rotostart, it pumps the engine full of fuel and makes it lock up. Thats probably also the reason it's not starting.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:12 AM
wrtoff

That is some good info. How do you clear that and get it to crank over? I heard that you should pull the glow plug and crank it to clear the fuel out of the engine. Then reinsert the glow plug and try again. My rotostart battery did get weak so I have it plugged in now.

2nd thing...Earlier I did have it running but it was "racing" at high rev. So high that I had to pinch the fuel line to perform an emergency stop. It felt like it was going to blow up. This nito is brand new and I didn't mess with any of the factory settings. Very strange.

I can't wait to get this up and runnnning...
Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1/ With radio on, apply brakes. Look down carb throat (with air-filter off). Make sure the opening is about 1mm. Adjust the engine idle-stop screw as necessary.

2/ Release Transmitter throttle and center Transmitter Throttle trim. Make sure carb is still in closed position (as per above) and brakes are not on. Adjust servo to engine/brake linkages to correct if necessary.

3/ Put mixture adjsuting needles to owner's manual specs (which will help start engine, and help break-in, but too rich for final tune, which is good for now....lots of lubrication)

4/ As previous post, make sure Roto-Start battery is fully charged.

5/ Make sure Glow-Start is fully charged. Remove glowplug and check glowplug glows bright orange when connected to glowstarter. Don't burn fingers doing this.

6/ While plug is out, use roto-start to crank engine over to purge excess fuel from engine (as your engine may be flooded). Holding vehicle upside down while doing this helps. Don't look down glow-plug hole while doing this (a mistake I very much regret doing once upon a time).

7/ Re-install glowplug....snug only...don't want to strip threads.

8/ Turn on radio equipment, and increase throttle trim a bit until you see carb open slightly. (This will result in a fast idle. Be quick to turn back the transmitter throttle trim if it starts and idles "way too" fast. Once you have it started, you can bring down the throttle trim bit by bit (as engine warms up) until you have the normal centered position and a normal idle.)

9/ With Glow-Driver, NOT connected, crank engine over while plugging exhaust. You will see fuel travel up the fuel line to the carb. Stop when fuel gets to the carb....now repeat for just a second (say engine turns over 2 or 3 times) to fill carb.

10/ Connect glowdriver and attempt to start engine.

Note: ONLY crank engine for about 5 seconds at a time. If engine is cold, it may start to slightly flood. Continued cranking won't get you anywhere. You need to stop for a few seconds so glowplug can burn off excess fuel. Major flooding will require removal of glowplug as per #6. Also, the Roto-start motor can burn out if operated too long, so stopping every 5 seconds, wating 5 seconds , etc. can help keep it from overheating and becoming damaged.

11/ Again, be quick to turn back the transmitter throttle trim if it starts and idles "way too" fast. Once you have it started, you can bring down the throttle trim bit by bit (as engine warms up) until you have the normal centered trim position and a normal idle.

12/ Break-in engine as per manual, or the instructions in the engine Forum:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5517128/tm.htm

13/ Arn't you glad unlucky #13 is not an "instruction"?