Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Air compressors

Hello,

Looking into buying a new air compressor for cleaning my car. I was just wondering if what kind of specs i should be using as my benchmark, and the adverage price i should pay for an air compressor.

thanks

Luke
    Hobao Hyper 8 RTR with go.21 engine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Air compressors

If you're only going to use it for cleaning your RC's just make sure it goes to at least 80PSI. At that pressure it cleans pretty much everything off, but doesn't damage anything. An air compressor is a god's send for cleaning RC's, IMO it's a must have. You should be able to pick something up that will work for like $50 give or take a few dollars.
    EdingerRC10/(4)RC10/RC10T/RC10T2/RC10GT/RC10LGra./RC18T/MGT8.0/Vintage LB/New LB/NIB Clodbuster/Custom SuperClod/TC6/DM-1Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think i paid $60 for mine works great.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64773.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	1175881  
    Tamiya cc01, AE RC18R, HPI Savage Flux XS, HPI E-Firestorm Flux.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is made under numerous brand names and is all you'll ever need for cleaning, paintng, etc.:

http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=195&ID=970

However, some things to note:

1/ get a piston compressor, not a diaphram type

2/ if possible, get a belt drive, not direct drive (motors can burn out on start-up with direct drive, but belt drive is usually for larger compressors than what you need).

3/ Usually, 40 psi is good for cleaning. More can mean air inot your skin, which may not be good, plus you dont' need it.

4/ 3 cfm, or at least larger than 2 cfm, at say 90 psi, is a good idea. Air tools, need more like 6 to 9 cfm, but you probably arn't interested in that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Luckily I was a mechanic before getting into this hobby. So I already have a 50 gallon 60/40 duty cycle compressor. I will definitely say it makes cleaning WAY easier and more thorough.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While Argess's tips are good for someone looking for a compressor to run airtools, a compressor that meets all those requirements will be WAY overkill for cleaning an RC car or painting bodies.... What you want to look for is at LEAST a 3 gallon tank and 125PSI, with either a built in regulator, or if it doesn't have one, you can get one for around $10. Even if it has a crappy oilless diaphragm compressor, 3 gallons of air at 125psi regulated down to 50 or so is going to be plenty for cleaning off an RC car... A compressor that puts out 5 cfm wont be any better than one that puts out 1 cfm when you are using an air nozzle, other than filling the tank faster. An air nozzle like you would use to clean an RC car will use from 10-50 CFM, so you are better off with a large volume of air available than a fast compressor. A nozzle that uses 10CFM will be pretty weak.... 20-30 is great for RC use. As for getting air under your skin, that's really only a danger if you have a cut and point the nozzle at it... Don'T do that....
    1/16 e-revo vxl, Mini LST2, Blade 120SR heli, Blade MSR heli, Blade MBCX heli, Slowstick, Minimag, DX7, DX3S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gee Dacaur....at least I didn't specify a 2 cylinder, 2-stage, 5Hp, 3-phase, 80 gallon tank unit....LOL. But you are correct in all you say.

I have the one in the link I posted, and I admit, it is a bit of overkill, however it is portable and meets my requirements as well as Dacaur's (plus I can fill bicycle and full-size car tires with it). Plus I paid $99 for it new, which isn't too bad.

My real problem was with diaphram types. I never owned one, but I know 3 people who do. All three cannot use their air-compressors due to broken diaphrams. And they claim they can't get the replacement part, although to be honest, I think they never tried and are probably to lazy to bother.

"oilless"?....hmmm....does that mean you don't need a filter/seperator when using the compressor to spray paint? That could be an advantage, plus the diaphram ones I've seen are quite small, so easy storage.

An aside: I used to just fill an air-pig from my full size compressor for spray painting, and it was fine. However I found the air-pig didn't last long enough for air-cleaning. So probably not wise to spend yoru money there in case you've been thinking about it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Air compressors are really handy tool. The small ones can do the job, but the big ones will do better and do even more.

I have a small Nikota 1/3 hp, 2 gallon, 115+psi. Cost me only $40.00, but originally $60.00, 1 reason why I bought it, another reason is that I dont have space for a bigger one. This only gives me a few short high pressure burst, then the motor cycles again. It does the job, but it takes longer. The bigger tanks will definitely clean up 1 rc car in 1 cyle.

If you have the money to spend and space to put it. I would suggest a 5-8 gallon unit, or a double stacker, around $100 price range. This way there is enough air in the tank for 1 cleaning job before the motor cycles again, and you are not limited to that job only.

Oil-less compressors gets hot when the motor cycles. The longer the motor is on, the hotter it gets. Compressors the uses oil last longer and are usually serviceable.

You still need to use a filter/moisture trap in the air line, because there is always moisture in the air around us. Condensation in the tank can also occur if the tank is stored in a cold place. For cleaning your RC, no need for a filter, but defenitely for painting and for use with air tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sp45111.jpg 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	1176773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kg14871.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	1176774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz69992.jpg 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	1176775