Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

red cat racing dissatisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: red cat racing dissatisfaction

Why not fix it yourself? You will learn how to work on this one, and then you wont have to take it to the hobby shop to let them fix it. Are you breaking stuff because you are wrecking, or what?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:20 PM
no redcat

No I'm not wrecking it at all. The 2 times that I did drive it something broke on its own. For example. I took it outside and drove down the street...probably half speed because im really gentle with it because it breaks easily. My idle screw somehow came out. I took it to the hobby shop and the guy could not fit a traxxas screw in it. I went home and called redcat, the guy told me to take my engine off, send it to them, pay 65 bux and they would send me a new engine because they dont sell idle screws seperately...he told me to buy a new engine...so i went back to the hobby shop and told them this is ridiculous and theres gotta be something you guys can do. so a new guy came and put a traxxas idle screw in the carb for 4 bux. The next day I go to start it, it doesnt start. I adjust the throttle trim, the idle screw, i even used a blow dryer to heat the engine..no luck..I don't know how to fix these things and I have noone to teach me. thats all just 1 day. 2 days actually. but all in all ive been able to get about 8 minutes of driving it after engine break in. careful driving that is.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:30 PM
no redcat

I either picked the wrong hobby or the wrong brand. It was affordable for a reason. Now I see.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 PM
cummins driver

Well at least you got the idle screw fixed. Check your glow plug, igniter battery, and make sure its primed good, and try starting it. It should run.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 AM
breezerboat

starting these nitro cars is kind of a skill. I have new friends in the hobby and at first they can't get their cars to start. I watch them work and work, sometimes they even start sweating. Then I give it a whack... and it starts right up. keep trying new methods... you'll figure it out.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:00 PM
no redcat

Ok now...my pull start is broken...i can assure you I dont pull hard or struggle with it....I called redcat and they cant do anything for me because I bought it from ebay...not redcat....I just took a bat to my punching bag. I think im done....its been 23 long days of not driving it...im finished..thanks redcat.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:27 PM
breezerboat

Don't be finished...

Go out and buy a new better truck (not a used one). Drive it and have fun. you will slowly learn what is wrong with the Redcat and fix it later down the road. trust me, it'll be worth it.

My friend just bought a used Cen GST 7.7 a week ago. He called me and I dropped everything and went to his house to watch him drive it for the first time. When I got there, he had the truck and all the stuff that came with it out on the driveway. I picked up the truck and IMMEDIATELY, and I mean within 10 seconds, I knew the front differential was not working properly. With further review I noticed the steering servo was jiggin out. So, when I say to stick with the hobby, I mean it. You will learn fast how to deal with problems when they arise. And get this... I am only 4 months into the hobby. I started with a Redcat too. I just recently fixed it all up again. Of course I am afraid to drive it now.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:40 PM
flipmode69

i have a exceed infinity and my buddy that i race with has a s max 2.5. personally i got the infinity brand new for 100 dollars and he got his used for 350. my 100 dollar truck is worth every penny its fun and u get ur moneys worth u can not go jumping big ramps but u can run the hell out of it and of course break parts here and there. yes it sucks u gotta order parts over the internet but what the hell there like 3.00 dollars a peice u cant beat that over the 7-8 dollar plus parts for a traxxas. and yes the s max did break suspension parts also. what i can say from experiance is if your a beginner and want something to run the crap out of an cheap exceed is a good way to get into the sport but. there is a day when u will want to sell it and move up to a bigger more sturdy truck. another thing when u get pissed off at something broken u can just run it off a big jump or straight into a curb and laugh at it cuz what the hell it was only 100 dollars haha. you wont see somone with a 400-500 machine laughing when they wreck the crap outta it
Old 05-02-2009, 02:19 PM
no redcat

Thanks alot breezerboat I appreciate your support. I have fixed the pull start. I cant believe I actually did it. It was a bit tricky but I got it in abot 45 minutes. I cant get it to start now but I'm afraid to take it somewhere because I know something will happen. I probably will today and if something breaks I wont get upset because I have the thought in the back of my head. But I will do what you said and buy a better truck. Its just a tough thing to do....well when first time newcomers purchase redcats.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:21 PM
no redcat

I'm finally a little more knowledeable when it comes to tuning. Ive been having a problem. Its been stalling, but Ive done alot of reading and realized how to adjust the low speen needle so that it doesnt stall. I drove it around a little bit. gently and the exhaust and the left front wheel came off. they are minor problems that will cost only 5 bux to fix...for the both of them. I'm a little happy because I didnt get bent out of shape this time. I have spent toooooooooooooo much time being bent out of shape and im finally done. I will get the part that I need and keep on pushing. I appreciate of you guys support....
Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM
cummins driver

Good deal man. It honestly just takes some getting used to how to tune, maintain, and adjust everything in order to have a good time. Keep at it, and as you go you will fix most of the small problems, and learn a LOT about keeping one in good shape, and eventually you should end up with a pretty reliable truck in the redcat, until you are ready to upgrade[8D]
Old 05-04-2009, 03:12 PM
no redcat

I just drove it again yesterday for literally 2 minutes...i went up a small curb..about 4 inches...not fast at all and my front wheel came off...as well as the exhaust pipe. wonderful. Its literally every time I drive it I have to put more money into it. i went to the hobby shop and purchased more screws and the rubber thing that holds the exhaust upgrade in place and put it back together myself. I had fun doing it. I looked at the rubber piece that holds the exhaust upgrade in place and compared it to the one redcat supplies...what a difference. It had to of been 4 times thicker. Its things like that that make redcat affordable. I have another question. I started it today and played with the idle screw a little. When I start it I have to open the idle and hold the brake when it starts so it doesnt go anywhere, then I close the idle so it calms down. Theres gotta be another way to do this. I dont think I should adjust the idle screw everytime I start it. Another thing is it picks up a signal by itself often. I replaced the batteries in the truck itself evern though I know they werent dead and it still makes moves by itself. I started it on my porch and my neighbors were looking at me because it flew down the starts by itself and I wasnt doing it. Can anybody tell me what thats all about?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:22 PM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: flipmode69

i have a exceed infinity and my buddy that i race with has a s max 2.5. personally i got the infinity brand new for 100 dollars and he got his used for 350. my 100 dollar truck is worth every penny its fun and u get ur moneys worth u can not go jumping big ramps but u can run the hell out of it and of course break parts here and there. yes it sucks u gotta order parts over the internet but what the hell there like 3.00 dollars a peice u cant beat that over the 7-8 dollar plus parts for a traxxas. and yes the s max did break suspension parts also. what i can say from experiance is if your a beginner and want something to run the crap out of an cheap exceed is a good way to get into the sport but. there is a day when u will want to sell it and move up to a bigger more sturdy truck. another thing when u get pissed off at something broken u can just run it off a big jump or straight into a curb and laugh at it cuz what the hell it was only 100 dollars haha. you wont see somone with a 400-500 machine laughing when they wreck the crap outta it
EXCEED?????[:'(]Im not even gonna go there