RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

best way to clean engine/body?

Old 03-26-2002, 06:32 AM
xer0

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default best way to clean engine/body?

i ran my truck in dirt, whats the best way to clean it?
i took off the engine and the servos,
can i dip the turck in GUNK, or WD40?
also how can i clean the engine?
thx for info
Old 03-26-2002, 12:20 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What truck is it? Don't dip it!

I use an old tooth brush. Just let the dirt dry up, and scrub it down! There are also spray-on products. I have used them before and thought they were OK. I think Nitro Wash was the name. It is mostly alcohol.

To clean the engine, I would use the toothbrush. If it is bad, then use the nitro wash. If it has a lot of baked on, brown varnish, you could check out the Engines forum. There is a way of using an old crock pot and Prestone. Look it up!
Old 03-26-2002, 02:04 PM
coop-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use a product I get at NAPA called " Brakeklean", I blow the truck off with an air hose, then spray it with with the cleaner, then I blow it off again. Then to leave a nice shine, I spray it down with " No-Touch" tire cleaner, just wipe, or blow it off. Just be careful around the engine and electronics.....Coop
Old 03-26-2002, 02:24 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I try to keep the nasty stuff for the full sized car. Then I douse parts with cleaner!

If you try this stuff, be very careful not to get it in anything! Also, be careful, don't let it sit on plastic for too long, even though it will evaporate.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:08 PM
pilothyer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Since I have to clean my cars and trucks almost every day I have found all the commercial cleaners in hobby shops to be very good, but can be quite expensive and you have to be very careful about your servos and receiver...all the electric system.......but now that I have tried another method I will never pay for the pricey stuff in hobby shops again. Go get a gallon of denatured alcohol and a simple spray bottle, about $10.00..... First you need to blow off as much excess grime as possible with compressed air, then just spray the chassis, wheels, and tires, body...everything you want clean, with the spray bottle........... I don't mean you can spray it directly onto an unprotected receiver (get it inside) but you can saturate the nitro vehicle with this stuff and not hurt a thing, including the body and servos.....afterwords wipe it down and blow it off again with the compressed air.. It works very well and is very inexpensive.......I have been doing this for over a year and have had no problems at all...................."try it you'll like it"
Old 03-28-2002, 02:40 AM
Butch R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I do exactly as Coop does it. Blow it of with the aircompressor and the spray it with a nonresidual brake cleaner. Works super! If you don't have access to an air compressor I'm sure the force of the brake cleaner will do the job. After all that what is was made to do. It is also less than half the price of Nitro Wash.

Butch R
Old 03-28-2002, 03:04 AM
xer0

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

klew guyz thankx again
Old 04-03-2002, 04:23 AM
rhyme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a money saving technique. Get a can of video head cleaner you use to clean VCR's. It's alcohol base so it doesn't stick so bad as WD40. Brush of excess dirt and then liberally spary it to the engine (or other parts of your car) and wipe of the excess. Personally I use an air compressor to spray of excess dirt then I start using the cleaner. Anyway with this alcohol base liquid you don't have to worry about dameging your servos cause it evaporates almost immediately.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:36 PM
StickZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When my car gets covered in muck, I use some white spirit to thin out the parts coated with fuel and then give them a blow off with an air compressor. This gets rid of dried dirt as well.
Even a light blower from an air brush or even a vaccume cleaner in reverse blowing through a small nozel will do.

If you use white spirit on your engine it gets rid of any brown sludge but tends to turn my engines green!
Don't know why.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:08 PM
glennnn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ive had luck using electrical cleaner, jstu keep it out of the carb
its safe on teh servos and other components and gets rid of teh gunk just as well as brake cleaner