Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: noob.. how to get started?

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

Lol, try $4.19. Even less if you can get it at the LHS and save shipping prices.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Traxxas-Rustler-Speed-Control-Resistors-New-in-Pack_W0QQitemZ360120667641QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio _Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item360120667641&_ trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

There should be some other things like bearings that should be replaced.
    Losi 2.0 ~ 8T 2.0 ~ XXX-T CR ~ XXX-NT AD2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lol. i dont work for redcat or himoto.
    But yeah, it works for me. Mabye im one of a few that have had good experiences. But from what i hear they are ok.
    Chris, ive never tried over 5feet. lol but 40 FEET. I gotta try that man. that's insane. What you doing that with.

If your not living on the edge, your taking too much room

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that $4 piece is exactly what broke.. it snapped in half.. i think since that happened, i've canibalized that rustler to attempt to fix other cars... maybe if i can find it still in one piece, i may look into getting that part and fixing it and possibly selling it...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: festerfm
    that $4 piece is exactly what broke.. it snapped in half.. i think since that happened, i've canibalized that rustler to attempt to fix other cars... maybe if i can find it still in one piece, i may look into getting that part and fixing it and possibly selling it...

The only thing is.......an old school Rustler with no battery or charger will only sell for $40 or so on Ebay. I would keep and upgrade the Rustler. You could even upgrade it to a Stampede by switching a few parts.
    Hittin\'\' easy street on mud tires

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have batteries and a couple chargers but i imagine the batteries are about shot.. the big one, a 7.2v 3500mA is going on 6 yrs old and that's the newest one i have

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well, i got the vortex ss truck. the place i got them from is a online shop that is actually a guy who sells them out of his basement in my town. i went over, his grand kids have a volcano sv and a shockwave.. they were great!! even the basic shockwave flew through the grass like nothin. i got the vortex ss, starter kit, and a half gallon of fuel for $193.. i had to work today and tomorrow, so i wont get a chance to break it in until possibly thursday. cant wait.

and for u guys who told me to stay away from redcat, i appreciate u'r help. the reason i went with redcat is they are marketed specifically for beginners and entry level ppl just to get them hooked into the hobby. hopefully, after i get used to nitro cars, i will sell my vortex to another noob and hopefully get a Slayer... so thanks for everyones help.. i'll keep ya informed of the pros and cons of my new truck..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The thing is, you will be selling yourr Redcat as broken and just wanting to get rid of it for $20 at a garage sale. As for breakin, you NEED a temp gun, and being a newb, you should tune by temps. 200-240 is where you want it. Do the heat cycle method for breakin, 1-2 tanks ilding with blips, 1/4 blips for 2 tanks, 1/2 blips for 2 tanks, 3/4 blips for 2 tanks, etc. The more fuel ran through yuor engine, the more you can hold the throttle down for. I personally dont go WOT until tank 12, but I think I overdo it. You need to heat it up with a hair dryer and put foil on the heat so it gets to 200-220 for breakin, that is the most important part-temperautre for breakin. The reason why the Redcat is suppose to be for newbs is the horrible quality of these cars, once you get a brand name car you will say, WOW, Loook how much I was missing!!  And instead of getting them hooked, it gives most people more headaches than them getting hooked.

What kind of fuel did it come with?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lol. i dont work for redcat or himoto.
    But yeah, it works for me. Mabye im one of a few that have had good experiences. But from what i hear they are ok.
    Chris, ive never tried over 5feet. lol but 40 FEET. I gotta try that man. that's insane. What you doing that with.

Cant imagine not even jumping 5 feet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmtZLZL6Kxc Thats the track I race at, and although the big double in the back doesnt seem to be big because of the big truggies, it is around 40 feet. That track is really tough of cars though-and I havent broke 1 part yet for alot of bad landings. For example, the day of that race there was 340 entrants so i only got 5 minutes of practice, and I was jumping so high on the step-up I would land where it was flat-no damage. I think you are just putting around, instead of actually pushings its limits, and that is why you dont break much.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i'm not sure of the fuel that came with it.. they put it in a gallon jug w/ no label. said it needed 20% nitro, 11% oil. it was pink. i just bought my first gallon of fuel from a local hobby shop that is 20% nitro and 12% oil. it's blue. the break in wasnt bad. the worst part was i had the engine set so rich that it didnt seem to get hot enough to ignite the fuel at first since every time i'd pull off the ignitor, it would shut off. so just for the first few tanks of the break in, i left the ignitor on. but before i could run it through the 6th and final tank, the ignitor was dead... damnit.. so i had to wait til the next day.

next day, my ignitor was all charged and ready to go. took prob 3 pulls and it fired right up. meanwhile, while i waited after the previous day, i put a better set of shocks and springs and tires from my old electric truck on it. looks bad ass now!! actually have about 2 1/4 inches of ground clearance now w/ the big tires. so after the break in is complete, i got my new gallon of fuel, and started playin. after the first day of play, i broke/lost my first part (not sure if it broke or just fell out). i drove it into a concrete block sticking about 3 inches out of the ground and the front pass side dogbone axle was gone.. so i finished that tank, talked to the local redcat dealer about it and he gave me 2 more axles for it. his grandkids put the new axle in, filled me up w/ fuel, and ran them on their lawn. def awesome ppl!! they told me that the way it hit the concrete block, and the way it moved the front a-arm, it was enough to knock out the axle. so they painted the new axle and the rest of my old ones a bright yellow so they would be easier to find should they come out again. they also put what looked like fuel tubing inside the dogbone hubs and said it would stop that from happening again. made a few adjustments to the throttle arm today and i couldnt be happier!! it's pretty damn quick..

here's a question for you experts. i kno in an actual car, you can change how soon the motor engages the trans by changing the stall on the torque converter. is there something similar i can do to my rc truck??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How would i turn off my nitro volcano sv? Its hard when they dont tell me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: birchbay88

How would i turn off my nitro volcano sv? Its hard when they dont tell me.
    Get somethign like the end of a screwdriver that isnt metal, so something plastic and hit the flywheel with it and it will shut it off. You could also plug the pipe but I think the flywheel method is easier.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are a lot of collectors also that buy old cars to get them running again. For example a while back I scored 2 HPI Rs4 2's and 2 RC10GT TUB CHASSIS. For 100 bucks. I managed to sell 1 RC10GT and ! RS42 at 100 bucks a peice so I ended up on top by 100. And the other RC10GT and RS4 2 I am restoring. So yeah some one may end up buying your old stuff. Hell even Tyco stuff is going for crazy money on Ebay.
    A wise man can play the role of a fool. But a fool can never play the role of a wise man...... This is so true.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Quietnas, the thread is 5 months old
    Team Pontiac

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12