Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Best Monster Truck

ORIGINAL: AMOUREDTANK

I just got done further researching all of the models above. The LST XXL looks likethe best truck by farall around, but don't know if i want a truck that sits that low. Reminds me more of a stadium truck with larger wheels. Same goes for the Revo. Do the T/E-MAXX sit at the same height or are the taller?

So my list has greatly decreased in size-
    1.) For Single Battery MT and under $200 Traxxas StampedeorLosi High Roller
    2.) For Dual Battery MT Traxxas E-Maxx or HPI E-Savage
    3.) For Nitro HPI Savage X 4.6 or Traxxas T-Maxx

I also saw if my wife still loves the Stampede theymake a Nitro Version.

So now that I have it narrowed down... Which one would you choose from each of the 3 categories and why? Pros and Cons Please!!
    Thank you for your time and information it is greatly aprreciated!!!

The Stampede is a good rugged truck, and if you're thinking about it, then add the Slash for the coolness of it's realistic appearance. The Stampede and the Slash are nearly identicle mechanically..My Aftershock sits about the same height as my E-Maxx. It may lookj lower because it's way bigger. I've yet to find anything I can't climb or run over with my Aftershock. t'll even climb right over my brother inlaw's Savages.....hehe..

From my own experiences, you might want to avoid the T-Maxx. In it's day, it was the premier MT going, but it seems like all the others have passed it by...Parts support, both from Traxxas and the aftermarket is huge, and it needs to be. My T-Maxx was nearly always broken during the time we were running. Trust me....it sucks to be busy trying to fix a broken truck while the others are out running around. Of the 2 on your list, stick with the Savage 4.6...It's tough, easy to break in and tune, and parts are easy to find....The only problem I've had with the Savage is it's handling. My Aftershock with LST2 wheels and Big Joes Proline tires wil easily outrun my brother inlaws Savage 4.6. If he grabs to much throttle the Savage will just wheelie like mad. Our races can get a bit heated....hehe....so he's always trying stuff to calm his truck down a bit. If he can get going without flipping backwards, he can accelerate harder than I can, mostly because the Aftershock is heavier than the Savage, but when we hit the turns, I can tap the brakes and cut inside him everytime...

Of the 2 trucks, the Savage is completely ready to go out of the box. The only add on you'll need is a 5 cell reciever pack, and a switch harness with a charge jack. You'll need the same with the Aftershock, and the pipe that come on it sucks. The Losi HT pipe can be had from Ebay for around $12-$15. Another Losi to look at would be the Raminator. It's mechanically similar to the Aftershock, but it comes with a better radio, and I think it includes the spin start and the Rx pack....

Custom Works x3....SC10 FT.ADX, Custom E-Maxx,Losi modified LST2, LST2, NTC3, RC10T4 Oval, RC18T and a lot of other junk.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Associated MGT 4.60SE

Woah-what was that? i think it was a racoon-nope just another wimpy t max under my MGT!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't go with traxxas ther is not resale there and thay are over rated. go with the  MGT 8.0  strong truck and fast wheelie poper and 2 speed  well built truck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This coming from the person with 4 posts who couldn't get their MGT to do wheelies?

There is a reason Traxxas has such a huge fan base and why they are so popular. They build good trucks at reasonable prices andare one of the widest ranging parts suppliers I have ever seen. You can get parts online, atjust about everyLHS and some at PepBoys. There isn't a resale value with any RC vehicle. As soon as you purchase the vehicle and walk out the store theprice is effectively cut in half.

Yes, the MGT 8.0 is probably a better truck than a T-Maxx. It's bigger, stronger and has a giant engine, but also sucks way more gas and costs more. If you get an MGT 8.0, you can forget about getting an RC for your wife.

I LOVE THE RCU FORUM MODS!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MGT 8.0 or Losi XXl. Either one is going to blow away a T/E-MAXX!!!! A Savage would be much better too. They're all better than Traxxas.

1.)MGT 8.0
    2.)Losi XXL
    3.)Savage
    EdingerRC10/(4)RC10/RC10T/RC10T2/RC10GT/RC10LGra./RC18T/MGT8.0/Vintage LB/New LB/NIB Clodbuster/Custom SuperClod/TC6/DM-1Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let's see,

Associated MGT 8.0- $500 new
    HPI Savage 4.6- $440 new
    Associated MGT 4.6 - $400 new
    Losi XXL- $610 new

Traxxas,
    T-Maxx - $365 new
    Nitro Stampede - $270 new
    Electic Stampede - $145 new

You can buy two Nitro Stampedes for the price of one XXL.  Of course it'll outrun and outdrive Traxxas products, it's twice the price.
    The T-Maxx is also at least $35 cheaper than the rest of them, that's one gallon of Nitro fuel.

If you spent $415 on the trucks and got yourself a Nitro Stampede as your first nitro MT and got your wife an Electric Stampede as her RC Monster, I'd be willing to bet the farm you both will be very happy with them.  No, Traxxas doesn't have the stuff to compete at the track out of the box, if at all, but if you're just bashing with the wife, why get something way more expensive and then find out later, you might not like nitro or she doesn't like RC's anymore.  You could get both trucks, a gallon of nitro, some extra glow plugs, a decent battery charger, a decent (non-Li-Po) battery, and some tools cheaper than one Losi XXL and almost the same as a MGT 8.0.

Running RCs with the love of your life (or your wife, whichever you prefer) - Priceless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The issue is that the stampede's won't go NEARLYas many places as a 4WD 1/8 scale RC for one. Two, the Traxxas RC's are going to break much more than an MGT or Savage. I've heard of issues with the Losi, so I won't say it's more or less durable, because I don't know first hand.
    EdingerRC10/(4)RC10/RC10T/RC10T2/RC10GT/RC10LGra./RC18T/MGT8.0/Vintage LB/New LB/NIB Clodbuster/Custom SuperClod/TC6/DM-1Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What types of places will the MGT 8.0 go, that the Nitro Stampede won't? 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hardcore mud, real steep hill climbs, etc...The stampede will do the same basic stuff, but any 1/8 scale 4WD MT is going to go more extreme terrain than a 2WD 1/10th scale.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll just put my two cents in on the elec./ nitro subject.  I started in R/C with Heli's and just recently bought a Revo.  I got tired of dealling with Lipo packs and their inherent expence and being carefull with how you treat them which is why the last heli I built was Nitro and why I bought a Nitro truck instead of electric.  Yes nitro is messy and at times I have to retune during the course of the day as the weather has been really screwed up over the last few weeks but you don't have to wait for packs to cool before recharging and you don't have to wait for packs to charge.  Last but not least nitro is a real engine not an electric motor.  What can I say I'm a gear head at heart and love hearing that little engine scream.  With that said my vote is for any of the Nirto trucks.  Hope this helps and good luck with which ever you get.
    B400, Hirobo Lepton EX, JR Vibe 50
    All on JR 9303
    Traxxas Revo and Losi LST XXL On DX3R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The S5T will kick all butt. ( a savage converted to a 1/5)

look at ALL that chassis room. plus it's 4 wheel drive.
    Evader ST, mambafied RC18T, think of getting into drifting with a cup racer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I haven't seen that before!! What's it cost to buy the whole setup? Do you have a link?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you dont mind used trucks, I have a revo .18tm for sale its rtr and has quite a few mods done to it, let me know if you are interested.

Damo- Thank you for your input and all the information you have provided me! You've definately moved Nitro way up on my list!

Frddyj- Thank you also for all the information. I never even thought of the electirc side like that but your right. I'm not going to want to spend the extra $100-$200 right away so i'll end up getting a brushedt ruck then later on want to go brushless. So by far electric will be more expensive I now believe. Becuase then you add in the 1-2 nimh batteries and another charger. Then when you go brushless you'll want lipo. Electric just seems way more expensive and has more down time. Thank you for the links I haven't checked them out yet but will once I get through writing everyone back lol.

Larryf- Thank you also for your input and your concern. Though my wife and I already both have RC18s and she loves to run with me. I have no problem having to do all the dirty work for 2 nitros if she isn't interested in it. (Though she did enjoy the maintenance on her electric) That's most of the fun!! If you've read my responseto freddyj you'll see my moving slowly away from large scale ecletric.

Aribus- Stampede is the orignal truck my wife fell in love with when we wanted a truck under $200 that along with the fact that it and the high roller sit so high is what makes them appealing. Out of all the trucks on my List those are really the only true monster trucks IMO. Everything after them sits lower and is mainly lifted by Larger tires. The slash is out of the question for my next truck. I'm not looking for a low sitting truck and if i was would probably pick a SC8 or SC10 over the traxxas models. I really didn't look too hard at the losi trucks lower then the XXL, I may have to take a second look at them. Thank you

Dave- Very nice suggestion. All the models I looked up I found the the manufacturers' website. When I looked at AE the only thing I saw was the ugly American flag version and the pictures they give of it don't do it justice. That one is definately getting added to my list!!

Aveneger- Thank you for your input. The 8.0 looks like a badass truck!! But I think for the fact that i need 2 and that they make a smaller MGT in the 4.60, lets just save that $100 difference to put toward my wife's.

Barber- Thank you for your input!

Larryf- Thanks again for the added info the price breakdown was nice! Even though I had researched the prices seperately it's nice to see them all written down next to each other.

Nargargle- Thank you! I definately now have thrown out the #2 category..2 batterie$ for each truck that'$ just rediculou$!! If you catch my drift $$$ LOL

Matt- Thank you for the info and that looks pretty sick. Very sweet if that's what I was looking for. But i Want a MT, that looks more like an SC truck

F575gtc- Thank you for the offer. Revo only wasn't on the list because its a lil more expensive then the ones I am looking at. Send me a PM with some details.
    Hank Jr Owner of the RC18RT/RC18T/Q-Steer Avante/Q-Steer Hornet

Ok guys thank you for the overwhelming amount of information! It was greatly appreciated and has helped me make some major decisions and narrow down the field greatly.

I have decided that I no longer want anything in the #2 category. 2 batteries and additional chargers just doesn't seem worth it to me! Not to mention the inevitable upgrade to brushless and lipo cost.

If I get any electric MT it will be the Stampede. It takes one battery and seems to have a pretty big follwing behind it. Not to mention its priced very well. So if my wife decides not to got nitro that will be the truck she gets.

Now for the Nitro category... after such a wealth of information I have added and removed trucks from this category. The new nitro choices are as follows. (And PLEASE if you have a suggestion that isn't on the list.. If it isn't in this price range and it's not a MT please don't post it)
    1.) HPI Savage 4.6 X
    2.) AE MGT 4.60
    3.) Losi Aftershock
    4.) Traxxas Revo (only if there's a good deal on it)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: larryf333

What types of places will the MGT 8.0 go, that the Nitro Stampede won't?
    I'm sorry buddy, Nitro Stampede vs MGT 8.0?? you got to be kidding me...

2WD 1/10 vs 4WD 1/8. There is a huge difference there

Savage XL Roller, Savage Flux, HPI Blitz Brushless, Venom Creeper, Mini Summit, Walkera 4#6S.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AMOUREDTANK

.............Aribus- Stampede is the orignal truck my wife fell in love with when we wanted a truck under $200 that along with the fact that it and the high roller sit so high is what makes them appealing. Out of all the trucks on my List those are really the only true monster trucks IMO. Everything after them sits lower and is mainly lifted by Larger tires. The slash is out of the question for my next truck. I'm not looking for a low sitting truck and if i was would probably pick a SC8 or SC10 over the traxxas models. I really didn't look too hard at the losi trucks lower then the XXL, I may have to take a second look at them. Thank you.............

Ijust wanted to add that truck that sit high (stampede) will have really bad handling, if you turn too sharp then there is a high chance you will roll over depending on what surface, if it is loose dirt then you will just drift but on road/grass there is a high chance of rolling. That is a pain because if it rolled over far away from you then you have to walk/run all that way to put it back on its wheels. Someone on this forum once told me that he enjoyes the challenge to not roll it.

www.youtube.com/DamoHonda5
    www.photobucket.com/albums/ss201/DamoSavage/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it were me I'd go with the MGTor the Savage. Their both trucks that are renowned for being durable and fun. Their is no point in selling yourself short with a 2WD MT like the Aftershock right now. Don't get me wrong, they're fun vehicles, but I think you will enjoy the capabilities a 4WD 1/8th scale has over a 2WD 1/10th at this point in your RC career. Revo's are supposed to be great, and they do handle better than an MGT or Savage, but I just tend to try and stay away from most Traxxas vehicles as they generally REQUIREthe many mods available for them. The MGTand the Savage don't REQUIRE the hop ups available, but they are worth getting, for the most part, down the road. As far as I know the MGT 4.6 is essentially as durable of a truck as the 8.0, but the tranny is a little weaker and can have reverse issues if abused.Howeever, I've heard of diff problems and a couple of other little quirks with the Savages as well, and they're harder to work on than an MGT. In all honesty, either of the two is basically just as good. I would take the MGT over the Savage any day of the week, but I'm also a LONG time AE fanboy too. Good luck making your final decision.

Damo- I am well aware of the handling factor, but I can flip my low sitting RC18R/T so...LOL Thank you for your concern though!!

Barber- Thank you for your information! Do you think the 8.0 is worth the extra $100 over the 4.60? How much quicker will it burn gas? Is it a lot more powerful? Is there a big difference in the trucks other then the Engine size? Is the 8.0 any better quality? Ya I always hear good things about the savage, never heard of the mgt though. So when I found out I had over looked it I had to go back and check it out.

My mind is still not set on any of these trucks so everybody please feel free to throw your 2 cents and experience with any of the Nitro's in. Thank you guys so much for the information you've given thus far!! And Thank You for in advance for anymore!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Barber420

Their is no point in selling yourself short with a 2WD MT like the Aftershock right now.
    Last I Checked the Aftershock was 4 Wheel Drive And as it's a LST Plaform it'll Out Handle the other MTs All day Long.....It Does Need the HT Pipe Right away as the Stock pipe Sucks(Can be found on e bay for arond 20 bucks) But It's a Very Hard Truck to Beat for the Money......And it can be Up Graded to LST2/XXL Specs Down the Road......
    If my post was Helpful.......Please Rate it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do not think the 8.0 is worth the extra $100, just stick to the 4.6. Im not sure about how much more the 8.0 burns comparing to the 4.6, like i said stick to the 4.6 its fast and more fuel efficient.

This is a good video comparing a Savage XL (5.9cc) and a Savage X (4.6cc): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfL7ASEj28k. In the first drag race you can see the XL is faster than the X. The XL has will go faster, but the X is faster off the line. So when your just bashing around the 4.6 would be better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfL7ASEj28k[/youtube]

www.youtube.com/DamoHonda5
    www.photobucket.com/albums/ss201/DamoSavage/

Tank- All the trucks on your list right now are excellent choices, any of them will give you and your wife hours of enjoyment.

If you were to opt for the MGT, I think the 4.6 would be best for you as it is much cheaper and still build relatively well when compared to the 8.0, and sucks much less fuel.
    I've always loved Savages, so know if you buy one that they are tough trucks!
    Aftershock is another excellent platform, and is built very well.

Its pretty much down to whatever you think is best at this point, the 3 are very comparable and there is no best out of all of them.
    Team Pontiac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Run, don't walk and get that Stampede. get two mid-range packs and a decent charger. Stampy is tons of fun, crashworthy and does killer wheelies. Maybe gear it down a couple of teeth. There's nothing within a hundred bucks of it that will make you grin like a Stampede. Heard nothing but good about the Wheely King too but can't buy one here. stick with electric and single battery and you'll have a riot. Then upgrade...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ClodBuster. (as far as 1/10 electric goes)
    I dont think there is a better electric monster truck than aclod. Truck is tough as nails and there are loads of aftermarket parts. You can build a racer, basher, rock crawler out of your clodbuster.
    I'd recommend just buying a pair of axles for aclod and buying an aftermarket chassis to suit what you want to do.

here's some pics of my clod
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Derigortron/ClodBuster#

I still havnt finished it, just have paint and body left to do.
    I am using axles from an original (not rerelease or super) clodbuster. 100% original, these gears and plasic must be over 15 years old (I forgot the year the clod came out) and they are in excellent shape still. I've never seen gears in that good condition after taking so much abuse.

This clod makes my all my friends e-maxx's look like fat pigs. better handling, better speed and better climbing power. Gotta love Thundertech

http://picasaweb.google.com/derigortron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Think for electric the stampede would suit you its robust and the parts are very cheap to buy great aftermarket upgrades just dont look on utube for stampede vxl cos you will want that one instead lol

as for nitro get the savage most models are built solid
    HPI Baja 5B, T-MAXX3.3, STAMPEDEVXL ,TT-01R

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast