Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How to mount toy grade bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Raguvian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to mount toy grade bodies?

My TT-01 body is smashed up and I want a new one. I found a 1:10 New Bright Range Rover for $21 and I want to buy it for just the body.

It's mounted with screws though. How would I mount it on my TT-01? I know a lot of crawlers have these toy grade bodies and I wanted to see some pictures of how they are mounted.

Also, if I wanted to drill body holes in the body with a drill, would the body crack? Is there any other way to make body post holes?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: How to mount toy grade bodies?

drilling holes should not crack it. I have attached them by drilling holes and using body mount posts, I have also used velcro.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Raguvian

ORIGINAL: kistner

drilling holes should not crack it. I have attached them by drilling holes and using body mount posts, I have also used velcro.
Cool, thanks. I didn't think of using Velcro though I'm not sure how I would use it to put the body on.

I will try to slowly drill holes in it. Hopefully it will not crack. Those cars a good deals though, I'm getting a fully painted and trimmed hard shell body for the same price as a clear untrimmed Lexan shell.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 PM
nitroade

Start with a small pilot hole for each mounting post.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Druss

Use a body post hole reamer???

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Reamer-0-18mm
Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

that reamer is designed for lexan, I believe he wants to put mount holes in a hard plastic body like you might find on a new bright, etc.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Druss

that reamer is designed for lexan, I believe he wants to put mount holes in a hard plastic body like you might find on a new bright, etc.
I've used my reamer to put holes through my Traxxas Summit body which is the same thing, worked with no problems whatsoever. Definitely better than using a drill.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Raguvian

ORIGINAL: Druss

I've used my reamer to put holes through my Traxxas Summit body which is the same thing, worked with no problems whatsoever. Definitely better than using a drill.
Hmm... I wasn't aware that the reamers were sharp enough to put holes in the hard shell bodies...

Unfortunately, I don't have a reamer (my TT-01 body came finished with the car), but I have a Dremel and I'll probably try drilling through it with some pilot holes, like nitroade suggested.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of hours ago i made holes with a drill bit in my lexan body,i used an automatic center punch,and then i drilled the holes.But by using a center punch the body will maybe crack as it is a hard plastic body.Anyway,pilot holes are always a good start!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Raguvian

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

A couple of hours ago i made holes with a drill bit in my lexan body,i used an automatic center punch,and then i drilled the holes.But by using a center punch the body will maybe crack as it is a hard plastic body.Anyway,pilot holes are always a good start!
Yeah I'm hoping by going slow enough with a small enough drill bit I won't crack the body.

By the way, 1000th post!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Just start slow and dont put too much pressure on it.

Another way I have done before is by using a hot soldering iron. If you do this, you will still need a reamer or a hobby knife to remove away the melted plastic around the hole. (just be careful)
Old 07-09-2009, 07:53 AM
total3d

drill a small hole, and work you way up from there with bigger drill bits. thats how i do it at work when i have to drill holes in plastic sheets.
and ive used a hard plastic body on my old nitro, and used the same method. just make sure your first drill hole is tiny!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:40 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I had no problems drilling through one of those hard bodies Hummer H2 bodies from Radioshack. I don't think that I even made a pilot hole.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 AM
whiteknightman23

i drilled holes with the same size drill bit for the body mounts and didn't have any problem at all. i use both these bodys on my traxxas stampede. just make sure u drill the hole in the right spots so your tires dont rub. i had to do some cutting but and then i painted mine and i love how good they look. the truck body i also put head and tail light on it. i just drilled the holes for some led's and wired them up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40556.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1235236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32388.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1235237