Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Replacing wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Snipin_Willy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing wheel bearings

Most of us know how hard loamy/dry tracks can be on our outer wheel bearing (1/8 buggy and truggy). It seems like after a day of racing the rear outer bearings will almost always need to be replaced. Cleaning them out with WD40 and re-oiling wont get them rolling smooth without that notchy feel to them while in your hands. How often are the club racers out there replacing your bearings? If they're not smooth as butter they're tossed, or if they still roll with the wheel not wobbling do you keep using them? Or where is the middle ground?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:26 PM
TIGER76

Default RE: Replacing wheel bearings

Did you try taking them out and soaking them in a bowl of wd40? or just spray it on?
I always let mine soak that usually removes most of the crap at the bottom of the bowl
Old 07-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Airbus 9e

Instead of WD40, try lacquer thinner....I've had bearings last years in my dirt oval cars cleaning them by soaking in thinner, then lubing them with a few drops of dry lube....
Old 07-30-2009, 05:53 PM
OvalRacer99

I use the laquer thinner trick myself. I took a used small coffie can, built a little basket that sits about a half inch off the bottom and let them soak over night, dry for about an hour then soak them in Marvels Mystery oil. I do the cleaning thing once a week and they get replaced once per season.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:03 PM
The Mad Modder

Myself, I blast the bearings with auto brake cleaner(man, I love that stuff) and blow the cleaner off with compressed air. Then I re lube them with grease or oil(depending on the application). Makes old gritty bearing roll like new.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:40 AM
Snipin_Willy

I try out some of those tricks, would be really nice to have bearings that I don't need to replace every other race day.