Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ever get that urge to just beat the !@#$ out of your RC car?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Ever get that urge to just beat the !@#$ out of your RC car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:09 PM
9five9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever get that urge to just beat the !@#$ out of your RC car?

So I was out and about with my two year old son this morning and I had my TT-01 drift car along with. We drove past the skatepark and I noticed that there was nobody there. Then I thought, "man, the concrete in there is about as smooth as it gets." So I stopped, took the boy out of his car seat, threw a stick pack in the drift car, and did a little drifting round some of the stuff there. It was pretty sweet. But then I stopped, took a look at some of the ramps, and then the offroader within me started to come out and I began to drool a little bit.

So I convinced myself that I'd just sort of drive up the quarter pipes and do a little bit of vertical drifting. That was pretty cool, but it wasn't enough. So I eased it up and over one of the fun boxes - up the small quarter, over the flat, and down the straight kicker. Then hell broke loose within me. I decided to be all Ken Block with the thing. It still started out kind of small, ramping the small quarter, sending the car over the flat box and down the straight kicker. It was awesome. I started to feel like a pro. Then I pointed the car towards the 7.5 foot quarter pipe and squeezed the trigger. I eased off the throttle right before the car got to the ramp. Then, just as it got to the top, I turned the wheels left and goosed the throttle, kicking the back end out as it launched into the air. The car came down right on the sweet spot of the ramp. I should have stopped there. Or at most, just did those two kinds of jumps a little bit longer.

But of course, I had to go bigger. I got a "little bit" over zealous with the thing and launched it over the fun box, missing the downramp by about 10 feet, which is OK when I'm toying around with the Stampede. But with a TT-01d, set up strictly for smooth surfaces.....not a good idea. It landed on it's wheels, but I knew there'd be some chunks taken out of the chassis.

For the most part, there wasn't too much damage on the car. A few times I tried doing that little "kickturn" on the 7.5' quarter and didn't set up the jump just right and launched it straight off the ramp. Again, should have stopped there. I decided to work on controlled jumps over the fun box. For the most part, that was awesome....for the most part. There was one occasion, where the drift tires bit me on the butt. I had the car lined up straight, but then it slid a little bit sideways right as it was leaving the ramp, sending the car bee-lined for a grind rail. That one did some damage. It tore the front end of the body all up, ripped the rear wing out on one side, broke the left front wheel, and caused my back body posts to go limp on me.

All in all, it was a fun time. After I had gotten there, some people showed up and watched, and that gave me a little bit of the incentive to do some of the things I did with it. I can now understand a little more as to why the Grave Digger and Max D and some other monster trucks bust their crap up on purpose all the time. The energy sort of drives you. I have been in different types of competitions where people are cheering you on, but this was a little bit different.

I now have to give the LHS some business, too, however, it was about time start doing new things with the car. Drifting is fun for about 5 minutes. Airing cars out never gets old. I had never run an on-road car like that, and it gave me some great innovative ideas for how to mod the car. I didn't get any pics while I was there, but I will attach some before and after pics a little later. There will probably be some drifters that try to tear me up about it. But I'm not some spoiled kid whose parents bought him an expensive hobby-grade RC just so he could misuse it and ruin it. I built this car from the ground up, and saw my actions simply as taking a risk I was willing to take. The car will be put back together with some different parts, and it will most definitely be destroyed a few more times as well. That's just the nature of an off-road enthusiast.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 PM
9five9

Default RE: Ever get that urge to just beat the !@#$ out of your RC car?

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32036.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1254416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84150.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1254417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63688.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1254418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29300.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1254419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30716.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1254420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26403.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1254421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25731.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1254422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89201.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1254423  

Old 08-11-2009, 02:41 PM
luvdisstuff
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds like a freaken blast. Like you I finance my own hobby and I truly appreciate the hobby. Like you I can beat the crap out of my stuff if i want to. I too dislike the spoiled little boys who spends daddy's money like water with no sense of appreciation. They are all over these sites. I can spot them from the first sentence.Keep having fun. Wish I had a skate park near me.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:45 PM
HJJFFFAA

I wish I was a spoiled little boy.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM
luvdisstuff

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

I wish I was a spoiled little boy.
To be honest it woulnt be a totally bad thing.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always feel like that, thats why i got a slash. I beat the snot out of it and it never breaks......
Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: So Cal

I always feel like that, thats why i got a slash. I beat the snot out of it and it never breaks......
I saw some guys running one of those last weekend. I m surprised, that thing is tough as a Revo! LOL, well, it is like a Revo under the shell.

As for beating your truck, if it aint broken when you put it back in your car, you 'aint bashin'!

I personally prefer a Savage to destroy, they take a TON before they break, but I have seen an LST hang with my Savage in some sick bashing. I was surprised, even though my Savage has an edge in toughness. Oh well, maybe he was just a better driver and knew how to mitigate the crashes, tumbles, and landings a better than I can. I noticed he landed on all 4's more often than I did.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its progressive, it starts from hmm let me try that jump. Ends up in, hmm can I do a double backflip off of that? - And a broken truck..
Old 08-11-2009, 08:34 PM
SAVAGEJIM

LOL, you hit the nail right on the head and sunk that damn thing straight flush with the wood!

I cannot tell you how many times I busted my RCs from doing some sick air and landing wrong. Sure, the RC would have survived if landed correctly, but that urge to even attempt such a jump or feat is what make me bash until something is broken!

Thank gawd Savages will last at least 4 tanks of nitro before something breaks. I know other RCs that simply cannot hang with what abuses my Savages take an they would be busting parts even before they finish the first tank!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM
ElectricGuy007

Not really, I like to take care of my stuff, you never know when you'll use it again.
I get a kick outa watching youtube videos of peoples crashes though.
Ive seen some pretty cool stunts too, like jumping over your real car or a house.
Videos of people running thier R/C at a skate park etc...
Doing a crazy 360 spin off a ramp, I dont know how many times I've seen that.
But you gonna have some serious power behind that RC to pull it off.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I dont like beating my stuff really hard because you put wear on it. It might not break this time but what about next time?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

I saw some guys running one of those last weekend. I m surprised, that thing is tough as a Revo! LOL, well, it is like a Revo under the shell.
Umm your thinking slayer, i have a slash......
The revo is strong, but this thing takes anything you throw at it.....
Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 PM
9five9

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

I dont like beating my stuff really hard because you put wear on it. It might not break this time but what about next time?
I get what you're saying. But when I get that urge to beat on my RC's and don't end up breaking stuff, I usually go through everything and replace lots of parts anyway. I don't like weak links in my cars and trucks. But I wouldn't recommend that everyone do it like that. It may sound funny, but I'm "careful about how I beat on my vehicles." I don't just launch them to watch them tumble. If they take a tumble, it's because I'm trying something that there IS a chance of landing decently....and it just didn't land it like I hoped. (it happens often)
Old 08-12-2009, 06:31 PM
luvdisstuff

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Umm your thinking slayer, i have a slash......
The revo is strong, but this thing takes anything you throw at it.....
Amen.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: offroadbasher9

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

I get what you're saying. But when I get that urge to beat on my RC's and don't end up breaking stuff, I usually go through everything and replace lots of parts anyway. I don't like weak links in my cars and trucks. But I wouldn't recommend that everyone do it like that. It may sound funny, but I'm ''careful about how I beat on my vehicles.'' I don't just launch them to watch them tumble. If they take a tumble, it's because I'm trying something that there IS a chance of landing decently....and it just didn't land it like I hoped. (it happens often)
Agreed. If someone sees me driving my mini or my truggy hard its because I KNOW its limitations and heck lets face it, the mini's dang indestructible as is . Mmm can we say on the TT-01, some better springs and raising it up . Part of the reason *I think* why the slash is so strong is it is based off the Rustler which is tough and traxxas's plastics have come a long way. Throw on a little RPM and that thing could jump the grand canyon