Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Radar speed test

Old 08-21-2009, 12:42 PM
nitro rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar speed test

Hi the police have set up one of those big radar guns that stands up on the side of the road that displays your speed as you drive by. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one to test the speed of their rc. I need to know if the radar will pick up the rc since they are smaller. It would by my HPI Firestorm and my Tmaxx 2.5
Old 08-21-2009, 01:18 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Default RE: Radar speed test

Yes.
I did it once with my Savage XL and it worked.
The only problem I had was they set it up so close to a busy intersection that I could only just get out of 2nd gear @ 36 MPH before going past the trap.
I'm guessing it hits about 50 MPH top end in 3rd.

So to answer your question, yes it picked up my Savage XL.

EDIT- SO GO FOR IT AND GET IT ON VIDEO!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Willystylz

i think i saw someone doing that on youtube once with a 1/10 on-road car
Old 08-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Sugafree

They set them up in front of School zones here, They picked up my Truck every time.......(I had a Vid from a few years back...But it's gone when Putfile shut down)

Old 08-21-2009, 02:55 PM
nitro rc

ok cool i will have to try it then. But first I have to fix the firestorm. Blew the exhaust gasket last run. The tmaxx has lost compression so the top speed probably isn't what it used to be. When i do it I will be sure to post a video.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:32 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We do radar testing all the time

stock Savage XL 42 MPH
Savage XL with modded Picco 28 51 MPH ( in half the distance it takes the 5.9 to hit 42 )
Mugen MBXT modded JPX 28 51 MPH ( in half the distance it takes Picco 28 Savage )
Savage X w F4.6 43 MPH
Mugen MBX6 w Ninja JPX 21 51 MPH
OFNA DM-1 w drag modded Picco 28 68 MPH ( space limited )

What we have found is it takes huge amounts of power to push a Savage, to hit 50 MPH you need a huge amount of HP
Old 08-21-2009, 07:04 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it's worth a shot, I used one once on one of my 1/5 scale cars. Problem is most of them are installed on high traffic roads.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 PM
nitro rc

this one isn't on a busy road at all. It is on the perfect road. The road is flat and straight. I will probably test it out in a few days.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:06 PM
SAVAGEJIM

In Salt Lake City, I have not seen any roadside radar sets. only cops patrolling and stuff.

In Texas, especially in Austin, I see these roadside radras set up all the time. But the are only on busy roads and they are mobile, so where a radar set was set up yesterday, it has been moved and setup somewhere else[]
Otherwise, I would take my RC out and try to run it in the trap to see if it will clock my RCs!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 PM
SLAYERDUDE

supertib Date 8/21/2009 5:32 PM

stock Savage XL 42 MPH
Savage XL with modded Picco 28 51 MPH ( in half the distance it takes the 5.9 to hit 42 )
Mugen MBXT modded JPX 28 51 MPH ( in half the distance it takes Picco 28 Savage )
Savage X w F4.6 43 MPH

What we have found is it takes huge amounts of power to push a Savage, to hit 50 MPH you need a huge amount of HP
So your sig implies that you have vid.
Hook a brotha up wit some seeing.
I got wishful thinking on the 50 MPH.

SAVAGEJIM Date 8/21/2009 9:06 PM
In Salt Lake City, I have not seen any roadside radar sets. only cops patrolling and stuff.

In Texas, especially in Austin, I see these roadside radras set up all the time. But the are only on busy roads and they are mobile, so where a radar set was set up yesterday, it has been moved and setup somewhere else
Otherwise, I would take my RC out and try to run it in the trap to see if it will clock my RCs!
The time I ran mine I had the XL in the trunk.
ALWAYS keep an R/C in the trunk!
You never know when you'll need it!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

supertib Date 8/21/2009 5:32 PM

stock Savage XL 42 MPH
Savage X w F4.6 43 MPH

So your sig implies that you have vid.
Hook a brotha up wit some seeing.
I got wishful thinking on the 50 MPH.

SAVAGEJIM Date 8/21/2009 9:06 PM

In Texas, especially in Austin, I see these roadside radras set up all the time. But the are only on busy roads and they are mobile, so where a radar set was set up yesterday, it has been moved and setup somewhere else
The time I ran mine I had the XL in the trunk.
ALWAYS keep an R/C in the trunk!
You never know when you'll need it!

I got plenty of videos...some of those runs are on video, some are not....... However there is no way a 5.9 pushes 50 in a XL...Low 40's is the best your going to see under ideal conditions and tune... To hit 50 you would need a massive increase in HP that your only going to find with a modified race 28....... I know your happy with the 5.9 and are having good results with it, so I am not trying to bash on the 5.9....We each run what we have and can afford which i can respect......... But truly I don't think you even could appreciate how much more power something like my modified Picco 28 has over the stock 5.9, till you see it first hand you just wouldn't even imagine that there really could be that much of difference in power and performance..Without getting to into it here, I will just say a 5.9 is a very very mild low RPM engine next to a modified Picco 28, The Picco is bloody brutal by comparison.... So if a modified Picco 28 only hits 50, the 5.9 is going to come nowhere close..... Not trying to discourage you, but be happy with low 40's as that is all the 5.9 is going to be capable of doing...if your really set on 50 MPH start saving some $$$ for a modified Picco 28, as thats the only way a XL is going to see 50 MPH
Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Okay I never was set on any speed records with the XL.
It is a low end torque monster as advertised right?
Who is trying to break speed barriers with monster trucks anyways?
That's just stupid.
I want to run stuff over.
And jump stuff.
And I do that pretty well so far.
And it doesen't break hardly at all.

So you say I need to put a race modded .28 in place of the .36 to do anything.
How does that work?
The .28 is lacking in (I suck at math) a.12 my .12 does pretty good on it's own there bucko.
Here's my stock .12 in my RC10GT pulling wheelies with Dirt Hawg tires on pavement.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mMSUJhBvA[/youtube]

So if I take that away from my .36 XL and get some rpm out of it I will rock?
I'm confused.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 PM
SLAYERDUDE

If you would like to see my RC10GT going fast here it is.
Stock .12 O.S. CV engine.
And yes this car is 10+ years old with original engine.
Seeing is believing.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NigSgo2Nnh0[/youtube]
Old 08-21-2009, 11:56 PM
supertib

Okay I never was set on any speed records with the XL.
It is a low end torque monster as advertised right?
Who is trying to break speed barriers with monster trucks anyways?
That's just stupid.
I want to run stuff over.
And jump stuff.
And I do that pretty well so far.
And it doesen't break hardly at all.

So you say I need to put a race modded .28 in place of the .36 to do anything.
How does that work?
The .28 is lacking in (I suck at math) a.12 my .12 does pretty good on it's own there bucko.
Here's my stock .12 in my RC10GT pulling wheelies with Dirt Hawg tires on pavement.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mMSUJhBvA[/youtube]

So if I take that away from my .36 XL and get some rpm out of it I will rock?
I'm confused.[sm=bananahead.gif]

I dont quite get what your implying ? Are you saying that you doubt a modified 28 is stronger then the 36 ? I am not sure what the heck your trying to say to be honest with ya....... Yes the .36 is very weak, bottom end, midrange and top end next to a modified Picco 28..... HUGE HUGE HUGE massive enormous difference in performance....but as i say, if the 36 makes you happy then all is good.....
Old 08-22-2009, 12:15 AM
supertib

If you would like to see my RC10GT going fast here it is.
Stock .12 O.S. CV engine.
And yes this car is 10+ years old with original engine.
Seeing is believing.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NigSgo2Nnh0[/youtube]

Okay now I think I get what your trying to imply...WOW !

So what your trying to say is that because a .28 is .12 smaller then the .36 that the .36 obviously makes more power...... I will just say that you have alot to learn if you think the HPI .36 is actually a contender against a race .28..... You see I do agree that with all things being equal a bigger engine is better, but i can't stress enough all things being equal...In the case of the HPI .36 and the Picco 28 all things definitely are not equal.... The Picco has bigger intake ports, bigger crank port, higher port timing, higher compression, more aggressive burn chamber, bigger exhaust port, better tolerances, better piston seal, better balancing...All around a better engine in every single aspect but being newbie friendly....

You see the .36 is a large engine, but it has teeny tiny little intake ports, smaller then what you would even see on a race 21, it has very conservative port timing, and very conservative crank timing.. So the engine really just chokes on itself trying to breath thru teeny tiny little ports its been equiped with..The last thing HPI wants is a powerhouse of a engine like a Picco 28 coming in their RTR 's, all it would do is cause a massive increase in the amount of drive train warranty they would have to offer..The Savage is not tough enough to deal with the brutal hard hitting torque and HP offered by the Picco........ Sorry to tell you this but the K5.9 is an absolute turd of a engine, one of the most horrible performing big blocks on the market...any race grade 28 is going to chew it up and spit it out...even a LRP 30 makes a 5.9 look stupid......... If your really that confused that your thinking your stock .36 is more potent then a modified Picco 28 because its bigger you need to really give your head a shake..you have absolutely no idea whatsoever what your talking about... The 3.6 has decent bottom end, weak mid and no top....it doesn't have the bottom of a stock Picco 28, and nowhere near the bottom of a modified Picco 28, and midrange and top end we might as well not even discuss, as the Picco is just on a entire different level...seriously dude don't limit yourself to a 5.9, as truly its really a turn next to alot of other engines....and I am not just talking about RPM either, a Picco will pull that 5.9 from idel all the way to top, so will a Sh28P6,SH28P8.Mach 454, LRP 28, LRP 30, Nova 528 and a RB 928...the only engines the 5.9 outdoes on the bottom are really only the HPI RTR engines and a few other sport 28's...but comparing against the quality 28's its really a poor competitor......
Old 08-22-2009, 12:24 AM
supertib

I am not sure what to say about the RC10 GT.... but it really doesn't mean anything about what your trying to say...but since you posting OT videos I can do the same

Picco 28 OFNA DM-1.... 3 times the weight of the RC10 GT with only 60% more motor, and much much faster..bigger isn't always better, especially if bigger is a Taiwanese RTR engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGSSyKE3MEE

As I say " Seeing is believing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbaqFOW_5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yys0sU6c80
Old 08-22-2009, 12:26 AM
SLAYERDUDE

I'm simply implying that the .36 is quite the little monster of a stock engine.
Stock being the main point.
I know that BUDBUD is the man.
And that you are his MAN,
But I disagree with SOME of what you guys say.
Take the MGT8.0 for example.
What is your take on that engine as stock compared to the HPI 5.9?
I would say two different animals completely.
The 5.9 is a monster truck engineered engine.
And is quite capable stock.
In fact I would go as fer as to say it is a very well engineered engine for a stock mill.
I have some pics on hand.

That is not just some piece of crap that was slapped together.
Mine needs a rod after 6 gallons, but do you see me telling all new owners they need a new mill because it only holds up for 6 gallons?

I guess I should buy a Picco and be done with it eh?

Old 08-22-2009, 12:35 AM
SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: supertib

I am not sure what to say about the RC10 GT.... but it really doesn't mean anything about what your trying to say...but since you posting OT videos I can do the same

Picco 28 OFNA DM-1.... 3 times the weight of the RC10 GT with only 60% more motor, and much much faster..bigger isn't always better, especially if bigger is a Taiwanese RTR engine

As I say '' Seeing is believing''

Okay you have truggies or buggies or whatever that rock.
So where is the xl?

But seriously, not getting into a match with you. I guess I am but.
STOCK.
What STOCK mill is better than the 5.9?
And how do I mod my 5.9 to be better than stock?
I want to grind the timing and get it right.
Can it be done?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 AM
supertib

In fact I would go as fer as to say it is a very well engineered engine for a stock mill.

Mine needs a rod after 6 gallons, but do you see me telling all new owners they need a new mill because it only holds up for 6 gallons?

I am not trying to fight here, I just took your intial reply to be rather rude.... I am not the kind of guy to lie to you in any way shape or form.... believe it or not I am trying to educate you the nicest way i know how....... I have modified several of the 5.9's and I really am not going to say its a nice engine by any means.... I mean seriously , not trying to be dick but I work on Italian race .21's and .28's all the time, a stock Kingstar RTR engine really doesn't impress me at all.... I mean it has small ports, low port timing, soft crank material, cast piston, primitive port design, primitive head design...cheap bearings..... I mean if it cost HPI $50.00 for those engines I would be shocked..... It is a big bore RTR engine, built in Taiwan as cheaply as possible...... Yes it has a few fangs cut into the sleeve, but those mean absolutely nothing when it comes to making power, yes it has 6 intake ports, but the ports are tiny, especially in relation to bore size...it has a tiny exhaust port, about 1/3rd the size of a Picco 28 or a OS 28 ...... You must remeber I walk to a different beat when it comes to these engines....Not a single RTR engine on this planet impresses me, not even close..... In fact I usually refuse to even modify a RTR engine, I advise people to just buy a stock Italian 28 instead... Even the crazy modified K5.9 I did for BudBud doesn't even perform as well as a stock Picco 28 does, the design of the engine just isn't there to make any real performance.....I did make some very good gains tho, we picked up a slight bit of bottom , decent midrange and whole pile of top end, as well the modded engine runs cooler and idles better..it is going onto 8 gallons now and still running strong...However keep in mind its a 36 and very hard on fuel, so 8 gallons goes by very fast.......

IMHO the 5.9 will do you fine for its lifespan... its definitely potent and capable of chucking a Savage around quite fine....I wouldn't however get to hung up on it tho and limit myself to only running the 5.9 under the beleif the other smaller engine would be less powerful, as that simply is not the truth by any means...... I am not an advocate of putting a modified Picco 28 in any Savage by the way, They are way overpowered and just destroy the truck, which IMO takes the fun out of everything..IMO leave the crazy modified 28's for the Truggies which have a stronger drivetrain and are more capable of dealing with the power...... As I said originally be happy with the 5.9, and be happy with low 40 MPH, as i can tell you pushing a XL to 50 requires alot of HP and it does alot of drivetrain damage very quickly..expect 2 or 3 top end runs from a Picco 28 before your entire transmission blows part....a Savage XL and 50 MPH are two things that just will never go together...... I am not trying to knock it, or say having a MT hitting 50 is necesarry, I am just saying the stock 5.9 has absolutely no hope in hell of doing 50 is a modified Picco 28 only hits 50...if this offends you in any way then I am not sure what to say...i am only telling you the facts...
Old 08-22-2009, 12:54 AM
supertib

As I say '' Seeing is believing''

Okay you have truggies or buggies or whatever that rock.
So where is the xl?

But seriously, not getting into a match with you. I guess I am but.
STOCK.
What STOCK mill is better than the 5.9?
And how do I mod my 5.9 to be better than stock?
I want to grind the timing and get it right.
Can it be done?

IMHO if you have the 5.9 running strong and tuning good then I wouldn't change a thing... seriously adding any more power just is going to cause you issues.... As well if you have a good tune happening and your makin the big air jumps what more can you ask for...IMHO I would just save that money and buy a different platform to play with instead.... instead of buying a $350 modified race .28 buy a used $150.00 Race Truggy like a MBX5T and give that a whirl instead... you will find a much larger performance increase with a different chassis then you will by adding a more expensive engine to the Savage...Leave the Savage as close to stock as possible and enjoy it to its fullest, when your looking for more then look to something like a truggy.... if you like big air jumping then you will love the way a truggy flies, they are unreal performers and extremely extremely durable, they definitely do make amazing bashers......

As for modding the 5.9 to make more power, I honestly wouldn't bother..just run it as it is and enjoy it for what it is.... if your looking for something faster and nastier buy a different platform to play with..your money will go further and you will get alot more bang for your dollar and hassle......

If you check my Youtube acount you will find several dozen videos of all different machines I run...there are a few videos of Savages as well....I just don't find the Savages that fast, so I usually don't post them.... Not to be a dick, but when you drive something faster its hard to go back and be happy....
Old 08-22-2009, 09:50 AM
savagecommander

I am not trying to fight here, I just took your intial reply to be rather rude.... I am not the kind of guy to lie to you in any way shape or form.... believe it or not I am trying to educate you the nicest way i know how....... I have modified several of the 5.9's and I really am not going to say its a nice engine by any means.... I mean seriously , not trying to be dick but I work on Italian race .21's and .28's all the time, a stock Kingstar RTR engine really doesn't impress me at all.... I mean it has small ports, low port timing, soft crank material, cast piston, primitive port design, primitive head design...cheap bearings..... I mean if it cost HPI $50.00 for those engines I would be shocked..... It is a big bore RTR engine, built in Taiwan as cheaply as possible...... Yes it has a few fangs cut into the sleeve, but those mean absolutely nothing when it comes to making power, yes it has 6 intake ports, but the ports are tiny, especially in relation to bore size...it has a tiny exhaust port, about 1/3rd the size of a Picco 28 or a OS 28 ...... You must remeber I walk to a different beat when it comes to these engines....Not a single RTR engine on this planet impresses me, not even close..... In fact I usually refuse to even modify a RTR engine, I advise people to just buy a stock Italian 28 instead... Even the crazy modified K5.9 I did for BudBud doesn't even perform as well as a stock Picco 28 does, the design of the engine just isn't there to make any real performance.....I did make some very good gains tho, we picked up a slight bit of bottom , decent midrange and whole pile of top end, as well the modded engine runs cooler and idles better..it is going onto 8 gallons now and still running strong...However keep in mind its a 36 and very hard on fuel, so 8 gallons goes by very fast.......

IMHO the 5.9 will do you fine for its lifespan... its definitely potent and capable of chucking a Savage around quite fine....I wouldn't however get to hung up on it tho and limit myself to only running the 5.9 under the beleif the other smaller engine would be less powerful, as that simply is not the truth by any means...... I am not an advocate of putting a modified Picco 28 in any Savage by the way, They are way overpowered and just destroy the truck, which IMO takes the fun out of everything..IMO leave the crazy modified 28's for the Truggies which have a stronger drivetrain and are more capable of dealing with the power...... As I said originally be happy with the 5.9, and be happy with low 40 MPH, as i can tell you pushing a XL to 50 requires alot of HP and it does alot of drivetrain damage very quickly..expect 2 or 3 top end runs from a Picco 28 before your entire transmission blows part....a Savage XL and 50 MPH are two things that just will never go together...... I am not trying to knock it, or say having a MT hitting 50 is necesarry, I am just saying the stock 5.9 has absolutely no hope in hell of doing 50 is a modified Picco 28 only hits 50...if this offends you in any way then I am not sure what to say...i am only telling you the facts...

you forgot to put IMO at the end of this........

if its speed you want and cc's is what you have, gear up. i used to have a .70 in my savage 25, and aside from not being able to keep a clutch in it(and also not being able to find a pipe long enough) that motor would have seen 50 easy. i took the two speed black 44/39 gears and assembly, put a sleeve over the input shaft on the trans, slid that on, bought an ofna two speed CB(the kind with the interchangeable gears) and mounted it on there. i had sick top speed- SICK....... somebody stole the truck though.....
Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 AM
supertib

The 70 does have alot of torque, but it lacks any real HP or RPM range..... you need alot more then low end torque to hit 50 even will all the gearing in the world...I doubt you seen 50 MPH with that engine, it just doesn't have the HP to push that kind of MPH......The modified Picco 28 makes almost 100% more HP and is barely able to push 50........just Gearing alone doesn't make MPH you really need HP........
Old 08-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Wild YFZ 450

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osdkd...eature=related
Old 08-22-2009, 11:43 PM
savagecommander

The 70 does have alot of torque, but it lacks any real HP or RPM range..... you need alot more then low end torque to hit 50 even will all the gearing in the world...I doubt you seen 50 MPH with that engine, it just doesn't have the HP to push that kind of MPH......The modified Picco 28 makes almost 100% more HP and is barely able to push 50........just Gearing alone doesn't make MPH you really need HP........
ah yes, making facts about things you know nothing about yet again. now, just for the record, and no cheating, tell me just how much "real hp and rpm range" does the .70 have?

im sure youve modded dozens of them and found the italian picco 28's much much better in a number of areas such as port duration, crankshaft materials, and bearing quality.... of course.....

Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 AM
nitro rc

first off i would like to point out that my thread got hijacked LOL!!

Anyways I am about to take out my tmaxx to try out the test but it just began to rain. I'll post back later if i ran the truck today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.