Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

looking for some info on redcat

Old 08-26-2009, 11:04 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for some info on redcat

ive been watching a ton of redcat racing videos and been looking for another new Nitro offroad without having to spend alot of cash this time. Ive heard good things about redcat and was wondering what you guys thought. here is a link of there offroad's http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...4Pa38Ta38PaNz0

ive noticed there prices are CHEAP so im guessing cheaply made? Breaks easy? let me know what you think. to me from the pictures they look like really good cars/trucks.

wondered because the redcat shockwave buggy is only 140 bucks. im wondering how Cheaply made it is.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Druss

Default RE: looking for some info on redcat

I've never owned one but I would not personally suggest it. Beyond the fact that yes, it probably is cheaply made... have you ever seen parts for it? Except online that is...
Old 08-26-2009, 11:54 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

yeah i wasnt going to buy the 140 dollar buggy. how is redcat as a company in general. my problem is i own 3 nitro's right now, AE Mini MGT 3.0, OFNA LX one Buggy and a rs4 evo+ 3.0 and i want to buy another monster but since i just bought all these rc's about 2 weeks ago im limited on cash at under 300 and i cant seem to find a monster at that price except another mgt 3.0 then i found redcat who has monsters for under 300.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Druss

I'd suggest you wait. If you just got 3 then enjoy them first, save up some money and buy a nice one. Don't settle for a Lada when you really want a BMW...
Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 AM
nitroade

I had a redcat as did my friend, they were our first nitros. Took us all of a week to upgrade to "name brand" RC's. Found mine to be fairly low quality and parts were almost impossible to get. IMO, you'd be better off to wait until you can get a decent one rather than get one just to fit a price point.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:01 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

yeah i was just thinking about that also parts availability. im gonna wait and see for now.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Airbus 9e

My LHS guy refers to Redcat and Exceed products as "internet cars", because thats' the only place to get parts for them....which from what he tells me they need a lot of....He get's 3-4 people per week coming in looking for parts....he tells them to get them from where they bought the car.....the response is usually....."oh"...
Old 08-27-2009, 04:41 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My LHS owner complains to me about the people coming in with Redcat/HSP/Himoto/Exceed cars.

In any case, they're not terrible so to speak, but there are tons of better options out there so unless you get a REALLY good deal (far less than the normal retail price), I wouldn't recommend them.

The frustrating thing is that their insanely aggressive web advertising targets newer users, who are the exact kinds of people who should buy name brand, reputable vehicles that have excellent global parts support (and direct support). Not to mention simple things like manuals that are somewhat useful (as opposed to poorly translated and poorly printed).

I pity he or she who buys one of these guys as their first nitro. Useless instructions, which often omit key steps or even just say things that are plain wrong - and engines that are generally harder to tune and maintain than their higher quality counterparts.

For users who already know what they're doing, sometimes these cars can be fine to just mess around with (again provided you don't pay much for them).
Old 08-27-2009, 04:43 AM
TIGER76

Tbh save up for something from a better brand which parts you can get at your local LHS
Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 AM
motoxskp

I also own a redcat (volcano sv) and i would have to say spend a little extra and buy an hpi or something a bit better in quality.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:46 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

I don't know if you are interested in Traxxas or not, but the S-Maxx (a forward only 2wd T-Maxx) is a good deal from Hobby Town. I spent less than $300 for mine and it has been an awesome and surprisingly durable truck and all the T-Maxx parts fit it, so you know you can get parts almost anywhere. Might want to check into the Traxxas Nitro Stampede as well for less than $300. From what I've heard around here, the only good thing about Redcat is their prices.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Rc it is

I have had a lot of rc i have had losi hpi a savage 400 dollars later
they break like the rest redcat has come a long way they arecheap because the do not have a huge mark up all rc cars are made in tawin japan and china look on your factor box tosee where it is made
for redcat parts you can contact me at [email protected] or[email protected]
i am start a web site it is rcitis.com will be up and running soon
i can get all parts for all redcat racing cars and trucks just email me

Old 10-03-2009, 08:40 PM
cockerpunk

seems that redcat has a pretty small fan base ...

i was out of RC for about 10 years, and recently got back into it with a tornado EPX pro from redcat, and i couldn't be happier with what i paid for and what i got. i will say however that i am probably not your typical first time RC guy, i have a huge background in mechanics and electronics, and given parts, do any repairs myself.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:55 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rc it is

I have had a lot of rc i have had losi hpi a savage 400 dollars later
they break like the rest redcat has come a long way they are cheap because the do not have a huge mark up all rc cars are made in tawin japan and china look on your factor box to see where it is made
for redcat parts you can contact me at [email protected] or [email protected]
i am start a web site it is rcitis.com will be up and running soon
i can get all parts for all redcat racing cars and trucks just email me

Well, the place where the RC cars are made is not as important as you think. Even though most of the RCs these days are made in Taiwan/China, however, brand name companies spend alot of money designing and engineering their products. That is the most important part.

A Red Cat made in China vs A HPI made in China. That does not mean they are equal.