Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Fun things to do with 3rd Channel

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM
MeBaD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun things to do with 3rd Channel

I have been thinking of fun things to do with the 3rd channel for a while and here are some of the things I came up with:

1) Auto flip over system. Servo that sticks a prob out the top (or if your sneeky out the antenna whole) This actually works as I got it to work on my rc18t. Was really funny if you hit the button by accident
2) Light systems (with on off capability) I have only seen a mod where you hit a switch with a servo. Anyone seen any lights that can turn on an off via a 3rd channel?
3) Snow plow. Though I have not set this up on any of my stuff (snow plowing with a revo + .21 motor would be interesting at 40 mph)

Any other idea's?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM
pagani77

Default RE: Fun things to do with 3rd Channel

i like the idea of the flip over system that could really help when u flip the truck over about 50 meters away and instead of running to the truck and flipping it over i can just press a button
Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
MeBaD

I haven't tried it with anything outside of my rc18T as most of my other toys are heavy I might try the TT-01 next. The trick is the car can't land fully on it's lid as you are putting the weight of the truck/car on the servo you are using to flip it over. Now $140 servo to flip a truck over is just lazy
Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Druss

For number 2, google ners, it's a little device that acts like a switch to turn on and off power.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:15 PM
hands without shadows

Bomb? Could be fun depending on your intent.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:39 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

For number 2, google ners, it's a little device that acts like a switch to turn on and off power.
I googled, found the New England Rug Society, a picture of a bikini surfer chick (thanks for that), and Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences, and some other crap, but no rc switches. can you be more specific?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Druss

Sorry, if you had googled "ners switch" it would have been the first result.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/

Old 08-31-2009, 05:50 PM
kistner

thanks man. I have made remote switches out of a regular switch and a servo, but the circuit type looks way cooler. although the $19 price tag may keep me away for now, I am fairly cheap

Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Access

In the past I built a digital switch that lets you toggle two different devices with the third channel, either intermitently or off/on toggling. It uses a $2.00 microcontroller but you need a programmer that costs a lot more.

My idea was to put a police siren and some flashing lights on my car, then run the siren and flash the lights, chasing other people's cars around the track like a maniac. Mostly just for kicks / laughs. Just an idea though. I've seen a lot of things (ie. the AUVSI show always has a lot of trucks with guns or trucks with arms, but those things require more than just an extra third channel to use with any real accuracy).
Old 08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
mikewait

I was thinking about that probe idea earlier today!
But i think it would be really hard to do.
OH what if you mount a easy start on a you revo or t max or what ever and have a servo poke the button on the easy start. Then you can start to car with our going near it. That would be cool if you stalled and didn't want to have to walk over and get it!

Also what if you hooked up a servo to open you gas tank. So you push a button the tank opens and you just pour the fuel in.
That's pretty lazy and useless but it would be kinda funny to some people.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I use 3rd channel for either Reverse or in my gassers, I use it for a remot kill switch. That is the cat's meow; in a runaway, the failsafe will actuate that kill switch and the engine stops. And when you want to turn off the gasser, you simply push a button; no plugging the stinger, rubbing the flywheel to stop it, or pinching the fuel line!
Old 08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somone on here a while back rigged an electric start switch with the third channel. I think it was on a Jato that had an EZ start system
Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Druss

I really like the ners, it's very clean looking and for $19 it's a little pricey but much smaller and easier to use than trying to set up a mechanical switch with a servo.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 PM
kistner

access, I had the same Idea with the flashing lights and siren. I have all the parts but have never put it together, maybe I'll work on it next rainy day. here is the 'siren' i bought, works on receiver voltage (I tried it) http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...SIREN/-/1.html I have a bunch of flashing leds of red white and blue colors, not quite as good as a circuit that blinks them in a sequence but when I get around to it they'll go on the ambulance body that currently resides on the lunchbox.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Speaking of accersories, why stop at 3rd channel? there are 4channel radios on the market now: Futaba 4PK and the Nomndio React and Sensor are all 4 channel.

I toyed with the idea of getting liek a 12ch plane/heli 2.4GHZ radio and using that to do dual stearing servos, front and rear brakes uisng brake mixing, a ch for remot kill switch, and the rest for all sorts of goodies: lights, working turn indicators, etc.

I figured that I would use 8 of those 12 channels for all this, but I can dream up other stuff to use the other 4 for
Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 PM
Pathous
My Feedback: (12)

Too bad the 12ch radios cost as much as a 5b rtr.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Druss

Actually, you don't need more channels to do the lights thing. A 3racing light set will turn on the left and right turn signals as you turn left or right. It will also make the brake lights brighter when you're actively braking, make the headlights brighter as you move forward and turn on backup lights as you go in reverse.

I have a JR 12X for my helis and I've been toying with the idea of using it on my summit. I've got a set of proline rack lights that have leds in them, a 3racing winch, more 3racing lights coming, thinking of adding an amber flashing light and of course the 4 channels for the actual truck. Not sure what else I can come up with but I want to see if I can get up to all 12 channels used if I can, even if the receiver is $200....
Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
cowana

I made a little microchip circuit for my car that means I have:
- Headlights (150,000mcd LEDs - about as bright as a 30W light bulb)
- Front and rear turn indicators (work automatically when you turn)
- Reverse lights (when you reverse, they activate)
- Brake lights (when you brake)
- Tail lights (red)

When radio signal is lost, a failsafe activates, and all the lights turn off, except the indicators which flash.

A really great, simple circuit.

A
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96336.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1266998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71655.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1266999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty63990.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1267000  
Old 09-01-2009, 11:54 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

What about a remote body lift (I have seen them on things like clodbusters and txt's).  You put the rear mounts on a pivot and use the third channel to raise/lower the body.  This of course would only be useful on a show truck/shelf queen.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 AM
cowana

That could also be used to right it if it tips over.

A
Old 09-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Hibityhupla!

use the 3rd channel to power a switch and put a rocket on the back...lol....it works
Old 09-01-2009, 01:21 PM
MeBaD

ORIGINAL: Hibityhupla!

use the 3rd channel to power a switch and put a rocket on the back...lol....it works
I have seen this with a B14 on the back of a tamyia frog... it was hilarious.

I have been trying to figure out a way to add a ride height option but other than moving the shock towers or making some way to slide the shock adjusters I have not seen a good way to do it. This would be great on a revo/tmax/savage where you can ride though a corner and jack the truck up an additional inch to hit tripples.

Hell just hydrolics where I could ride with the front left tire off the ground would be funny
Old 09-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Hibityhupla!

the b14 is kinda a little guy...the d12 series works awesome
Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Redvanmafia

nice lights man!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
MeBaD

ORIGINAL: Hibityhupla!

the b14 is kinda a little guy...the d12 series works awesome
DUDE .. lol .. a tamyia frogger weights what .. 3 lbs? It still did about 40 mph than the second stage blew and most of the top of the car was incinerated.. lol

A racing Idea would be an adjustable wing. That you can change the pitch while driving. That might not be too hard to do at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.