Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

deans?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
s7jstep1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deans?

i got my new lipos a little while ago and i have a question about them. they are the turnigy lipos and they have a "bullet-like" style connector on them. the charger i ordered with them doesnt even have that connector. would it be better to just cut off the connector (one wire at a time of course) and replace it with a deans plug? i do like the connector thats on thee now but i dont even know what its called or i would possibly consider switching.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:38 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: deans?

You can replace them with deans if you want, deans are good.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:48 PM
s7jstep1

okay. i run deans on everything else so it will make it easier.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:09 PM
mini-dude

my question would be:why wouldn't you change them out????
Old 11-03-2009, 06:42 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just ordered 2 of these.
http://www.hobbycity.com./hobbycity/...0mAh_2S1P_20C_

and plan on putting traxxas connectors on them. is there anything i should know about doing this?. my first time with lipo's.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Druss

the generic term for the connectors is EC3 I believe. If you already know how to solder the most important part is to completely finish one wire and get heat shrink on it BEFORE you even cut the other wire. Doesn't matter which you do first. This is to eliminate the possibility of a short circuit.

For traxxas connectors remember not to get any solder past the line or you'll have trouble fitting the tabs back into the housing.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:11 AM
s7jstep1

ORIGINAL: fourwheels0

i just ordered 2 of these.
http://www.hobbycity.com./hobbycity/...0mAh_2S1P_20C_

and plan on putting traxxas connectors on them. is there anything i should know about doing this?. my first time with lipo's.
those are the EXACT same batteries i bought. i got 4 of them. havent got to run them yet. ill pick up some deans tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:49 AM
rendezvous944
Banned

I have Deans an everything.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:17 PM
cobra26

I offer the following for what it may be worth to those wishing to standardize on a VERY GOOD connector:

I converted everything to Deans for many years. Before I ran something new, I'd convert to the Deans connectors. However, I hated the problem with Deans in getting them apart for charging, using in other cars, planes, etc. THEN, I discovered Power Poles. Same no resistance connections as Deans BUT they come apart without busting fingers and nails! From the first encounter with Power Poles I loved them. I ordered 100 sets of Power Poles two years ago, converted EVERYTING to them, and never looked back - they are fantastic and don't even require soldering!!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the connectors on those batteries are designed for helicopters.. I purchased a bunch of these from Hobby City and they came that way.. for car use I cut them off and put on Deans plugs... I'm not sure of the name of them, but EC3 sounds correct.. I think Losi is starting to use them now on some of their electric brushless stuff.. They work but you will have a harder time finding connectors for them at the LHS if needed...
Old 11-04-2009, 01:50 PM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those turnigy connectors are insane though, 4mm bullets in a casing. great if you are running high voltage, they'll out perfrom deans and traxxas.

but they are rather large, i'm using them only on my ezrun setup and they work great. i do have a bunch of different charger leads for different connectors though, so it's no biggie.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: cenracer1

the connectors on those batteries are designed for helicopters.. I purchased a bunch of these from Hobby City and they came that way.. for car use I cut them off and put on Deans plugs... I'm not sure of the name of them, but EC3 sounds correct.. I think Losi is starting to use them now on some of their electric brushless stuff.. They work but you will have a harder time finding connectors for them at the LHS if needed...
Connectors are not really designed for a particular application. Sure more heli guys probably use them but that's just because they've been using lipos longer. Connectors are just connectors, you can use any low resistance ones you want to. From the specs I don't believe the EC3 are as good as deans, traxxas or power poles but they are definitely a great improvement over the "tamiya" ones.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

deans are great we been using em for over 20 years, for real high amp draw situations you may want to hard wire instead.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Dark asylumn

Where is the cheapest place to get deans at other than hc
Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Better yet, use TRX connectors!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Sal Bandini

ORIGINAL: Druss

the generic term for the connectors is EC3 I believe. If you already know how to solder the most important part is to completely finish one wire and get heat shrink on it BEFORE you even cut the other wire. Doesn't matter which you do first. This is to eliminate the possibility of a short circuit.

For traxxas connectors remember not to get any solder past the line or you'll have trouble fitting the tabs back into the housing.
Those connectors are not EC3. Those are 4mm bullet connectors.

HC got away from EC3. Their connector of choice on the smaller batteries is the XT60 connector. For the bigger ones, it's bullets.

This pic shows XT60 (yellow)and EC3 connector (blue)

[img]catalog/imageNA_sm.gif[/img]

These are the bullet connectors that are on the larger packs

[img]catalog/imageNA_sm.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Better yet, use TRX connectors!
Ha! might as well use tamiya plugs. TRX plugs suck... I have melted a few together using 4cell lipos. Never melted a deans plug. Whoever said they were having trouble pulling the deans plugs apart... That happens when you heat them up too much with a soldering iron, it causes the blade to move slightly, then bind when you connect them. That is the ONLY flaw I have discovered using deans. I used to run EC3 plugs, but barely any hobby shops stock them.. and I always managed to lose the damn brass inserts.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Gado

Anyone know how to remove the bullet connectors from the red casing? When I got my lipo I had to dremel the casing to get the connector out, unfortunately on my first try I did not know how far to dremel so I accidentally sliced some of the bullet connector. I would have liked to keep the bullets undamaged for some other usage in the future.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Raguvian

I use Castle's 5mm bullets. They are easier for me to pull apart and put together but there is the risk of shorting them out if you don't heatshrink them properly.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: proanti1
Ha! might as well use tamiya plugs. TRX plugs suck... I have melted a few together using 4cell lipos. Never melted a deans plug. Whoever said they were having trouble pulling the deans plugs apart... That happens when you heat them up too much with a soldering iron, it causes the blade to move slightly, then bind when you connect them. That is the ONLY flaw I have discovered using deans. I used to run EC3 plugs, but barely any hobby shops stock them.. and I always managed to lose the damn brass inserts.
I don't know man, I think you need to use that Testers in a little bigger room!

Um, you do know they are both rated for the same amperage, right?
Also, if you measure the contact on the TRXs is larger then the one on the Deans, but the Deans use both sides of the contact which works out to be about the same size as the TRX, so in reality they should both melt at the same time.