Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Who here is tried of Electric rc

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Lurp06x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who here is tried of Electric rc

I dont know about other people but electric rc cars an trucks got old for me. its too simple an tired of having to wait for the batts to charge. (yes i have more than one charger) but you cant push it too hard through certain terrian other wise you might "might" reck your motor or your esc an than your cars down an your out $20-$200 depending on what went wrong.

anybody feeling me?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Who here is tried of Electric rc

Give 1/5 scale gas a try - you'll be happy you did

Old 11-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Lurp06x

yep been looking at those too but the only thing holding me back is the price.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:41 PM
butt_housed247

nope, not feeling you.  but even if i were sick of electric there's nothing i can do about it.  if i ran gas or nitro about half the places i drive would be off limits just because of the noise and exhaust fumes.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Lurp06x

true i can see where your getting at with that. but for me im more it to it for the fun of taking it apart an rebuilding it again. yes i have done it with electric but half the time when i do it there no point in taking apart the car because theres nothing wrong.

Maybe i just need to drive my car in to things more then i will never get tired of electric or nitro
Old 11-07-2009, 10:00 PM
scoobs92

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got both nitro and electric i was a big nitro guy at first when i got in to the hobby but i bought my son a used pede and loved the fact that its quiet less maitainance and can be just as fast if not faster also there is more electric motor options than there are nitro engine options also more power options lipo nimh nicad more choices to fit the budget so no i don't feel where your coming from
Old 11-07-2009, 10:05 PM
9five9

Sheograth, that thing is SICK! did you build that exo-cage, or do I just not look at 1/5th accessories enough?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:07 PM
IloveMYxt2

Electric is boring unless you have brushless and lipo power. Brushed and NiMH/NiCD are too 80's. I had brushless/lipo myself and eventually got bored. I hate charging the batteries, running for 30-60 min and having to wait hours to ride again. And plus taking care of lipo's is a job in itself.

I am not a fan of nitro's as well. I had nitro's for a while and sold them as well. Too much maintanence, tuning, things going wrong with those stupid engines.

Now I am into 1/5 gassers and they are FUN. But the only thing that stinks is you cant push them like a 1/8 scale rc. Too heavy and too much $ to fix when things break.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:17 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Nice shelf queen you've got there... I'm pretty sure most people want to run their R/Cs, not look at them on a shelf...

Anyway, electric R/C is lame IMO. Dealing with chargers, batteries, extended charging periods, short runtimes, lack of noise and smoke, etc. With Nitro, I can bring a couple of receiver packs, a gallon of fuel, and a glow igniter out to a gravel pit in the middle of nowhere and run for hours uninterrupted. There's nothing like a screaming nitro engine billowing out smoke as you rip around climbing hills, flying over rough terrain, and hitting jumps at full speed.

So if you're bored with the Toys'R'Us electrics, give Nitro a try.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:19 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

Nice shelf queen you've got there... I'm pretty sure most people want to run their R/Cs, not look at them on a shelf...

Anyway, electric R/C is lame IMO. Dealing with chargers, batteries, extended charging periods, short runtimes, lack of noise and smoke, etc. With Nitro, I can bring a couple of receiver packs, a gallon of fuel, and a glow igniter out to a gravel pit in the middle of nowhere and run for hours uninterrupted. There's nothing like a screaming nitro engine billowing out smoke as you rip around climbing hills, flying over rough terrain, and hitting jumps at full speed.

So if you're bored with the Toys'R'Us electrics, give Nitro a try.
Bring a Savage Flux and some lipos and a generator. You got yourself full day of bashing uninterrupted with the insane Savage Flux that will out perform any nitro Savage.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:32 PM
rotor head33

^^^^ ++++++++1111111 i work for a hobby shop and have owned almost everything except a baja when it comes to main stream rc vehicles and i do agree that lipo and brushless is better than nitro anyday. the generator idea is great and oh so true. my buddies get pissed whenever they have to stop after 20 minutes of bashing to refuel whenever im still runnin one lipo pack for an hour plus sometimes! there stuff breaks.....mine just bounces, guess weight to damage ratio is alot less! i went from nitro to electric back to nitro and have finally realized how much easier electric really is! +1 for the generator idea and savage flux!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:38 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: samguan
Bring a Savage Flux and some lipos and a generator. You got yourself full day of bashing uninterrupted with the insane Savage Flux that will out perform any nitro Savage.
Yes, because it is so practical to buy a generator for a few hundred bucks, somehow figure out how to load it into my car, and lug it 5 miles out into the wilderness. Then I'll drop $400 on 3 sets of LiPos, so with constant running back and forth from the bash pit to the generator, I can manage to keep a boring electric R/C running for a few hours, until of course the generator runs out of fuel. That's assuming the truck manages to stay running for that long; the Savage's drivetrain metallurgy is so poor that any half assed BL setup will break and wear out the drivetrain extremely rapidly.

Nah, I think I'll stick to the 'real' side of R/C.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:40 PM
midntpumkin

nope , just getting started
Old 11-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Lurp06x

i got brushless set ups an did lipos, i still have them an still drive them but there just to simple. i need that complicated rc stuff to test my brain. idk i just like the fact that i can stay i did this an that an being proud of it thats all. i guess its the carpenter in me.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Snipin_Willy

Lipo all the way. I keep my batteries at storage charge most of the time so it only takes 30 mins to top them off. Just enough time to pick up my pit gear and lock the door behind me. And busting ESCs and motors? You're at no more thread of doing that than you are of having a receiver pack come loose and having to go chase a run-away.

To each his own. This has been covered
Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Access

Things have changed a lot in the last six or so years I've been in the hobby.

Though nitro still does have many loyal followers; if there is an end for nitro it will either be due to the fuel (cost increases or becoming non-available) or regulations / laws. In the meantime, people should run what they want to run, enjoy it as long as that is possible and don't get all tied up with endless banter. If you have the time to post about it here, you could be out there actually running. There's really no logical reason to try to convince anyone of anything, just get out there and do what you enjoy doing.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:53 PM
midntpumkin

i hear ya, the easiest motor to tune and forget it is the mach 427 lst2, the hardest and the most challenging is the genesis and the nemesis engines the 76. if you want frustration go with that one , then let off some of the frustration with 5000 lipo in a sc10 and have some fun for 20 min , then go back to starting and get blisters trying to start that beast. those 2 trucks took 3 gallons each of nitro and are finally running good , but before that all i wanted to do was throw them across the yard
Old 11-07-2009, 11:08 PM
breezerboat

To me.... When a guy wins a race with his electric buggy... I think "nothing in my head"

But when a guy wins a race with a NITRO buggy... I thnk "THAT DUDES HARD FREAKING CORE. HE CAN WIN WITH NITRO, NOW THAT TAKES SKILL AND MOST OF THOSE ELECTRIC GUYS COULDN'T WIN WITH NITRO, BUT THAT NITRO DUDE COULD WIN WITH ELECTRIC." so the nitro dude is the better RC guy...

Just my opinion.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:23 PM
mini-dude

For me to justify putting that kind of money into one single car - I better be able to rid in the freaking thing!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 11:40 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I personally love the ease of electric, but I have to say that I am starting to get back into nitro.  I just fired up my T-maxx with a OS .15CV-R (with a stinger pipe) and it sounded sick. 
Old 11-08-2009, 12:32 AM
MonkeyFist

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

To me.... When a guy wins a race with his electric buggy... I think ''nothing in my head''

But when a guy wins a race with a NITRO buggy... I thnk ''THAT DUDES HARD FREAKING CORE. HE CAN WIN WITH NITRO, NOW THAT TAKES SKILL AND MOST OF THOSE ELECTRIC GUYS COULDN'T WIN WITH NITRO, BUT THAT NITRO DUDE COULD WIN WITH ELECTRIC.'' so the nitro dude is the better RC guy...

Just my opinion.
This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have read in a VERY long time. So you are trying to say a guy who runs a converted 1/8 electric buggy couldn't win a race with a nitro buggy of the same make and model?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:40 AM
mini-dude

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

To me.... When a guy wins a race with his electric buggy... I think "nothing in my head"

But when a guy wins a race with a NITRO buggy... I thnk "THAT DUDES HARD FREAKING CORE. HE CAN WIN WITH NITRO, NOW THAT TAKES SKILL AND MOST OF THOSE ELECTRIC GUYS COULDN'T WIN WITH NITRO, BUT THAT NITRO DUDE COULD WIN WITH ELECTRIC." so the nitro dude is the better RC guy...

Just my opinion.

Which proves you don't know a thing about racing.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:56 AM
s7jstep1

i run both. i like both. i must admit that i am biased toward electric. i just bought a brushless/lipo system for my emaxx. and $400 for lipos? i got mine for $20 each. they are 5000mah 2s1p 20-30c discharge. im interested to see how the lipo/brushless emaxx compares to my revo with the os.18tm.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Druss

Well, not that we needed another nitro vs electric thread but...

The first thing I'll say is that I have both nitro and electric but due to where i live mostly run my electrics.

The thing that really bugs me is that most "hardcore" nitro guys have so many misconceptions about electric.... $400 for 3 lipos hasn't been true for a LONG time. Go to hobby city and get 4 lipos for $100 and you'll be running for 2 hrs+. I personally own enough lipos that I could run for over 10 hours if I wanted to in one sitting... which I rarely ever do. I usually max out in 2-3 hours.

For safety reasons I carry around one of those rechargeable booster batteries in my SUV (do a lot of construction work in the middle of nowhere) and I could easily charge 5-6 batteries with it if I ever happened to run out. The thing is basically a little larger than regular car battery and is rechargeable so....

$25 for a gallon of nitro fuel.... $25 for a lipo.... which will give you more run time before it's gone/dead?

Since I was a heli guy (both nitro and electric there too) before I was a car/truck guy, I had no additional costs for chargers or power supplies.

Beyond the propulsion system, the mechanics on all RC are the same so doing maintenance on the driveline and suspension is no different between the two.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:37 AM
antiquefer

Can you realy get an hour plus run time from one battery as rotor head says? Thats incredable!....................antiquefer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.