Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

$30 55 amp power supply for your charger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

$30 55 amp power supply for your charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:33 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $30 55 amp power supply for your charger

I've searched for a good power supply for my chargers (hobby battery chargers that require an external DC power source) for a long time now. I've been using a 9 amp modified computer power supply, but it's not very beefy and fails to charge sometimes, like when I try charging two batteries at 4 amps each on the same charger. It just buzzes and shuts off. PC power supplies, which require a little modification, are fairly expensive (although sometimes free) and fairly weak, thin wires and the internals aren't beefy. I've killed some in the past. And the power supplies sold in hobby shops are also very expensive and don't put out that many amps. So I've been searching at garage sales for an old car battery charger that will put out an adjustable power without a battery hooked up. Couldn't find much.

Until I got another discounts e-mail from Harbor Freight. I didn't know that they sell just what I need, and here's a $10 off coupon that ends 11/15/09. $40 down to $30 [link=http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week=4609&campaign=RetailA&page=coupon1.html&single=true&r=6607_539777&cust=78088432038&keycode=0000]LINK[/link] (Click picture in coupon for product details) I picked up one yesterday and it does the job perfectly. No more crapping out. No more worrying about frying something on the board. And even on the 55 amp setting it won't blow any charger, I tested this on a 1.2 amp max charger. The way amps work is that they are available to a source but they are not pushed into it if that makes sense. Connect your charger to the new power supplies leads, plug in the power supply (new battery charger) and flip the switch to start (not charge), select 2, 10, or 55 amp in 12 volt, or 10 amp in 6 volt.

I highly recommend that that you do not use this Harbor Freight charger to charge hobby batteries. Only use a designated charger, which this can power if it requires an external power source. But for car batteries, set it to 12V 10A and it switches to trickle charge when it's done (won't over charge your car battery), and a green light comes on. Or at 55A it can start a car (without using a battery) as its intended to Also it's got a self resetting breaker in case you do something silly, like touch the connections when it's on 55A, it should shut off and come right back on. Also one last thing, on the 55A setting you could hook up 5 rc chargers or more to this thing all running at once, easily.

I don't have a lipo that needs charging at the moment, so I have it hooked up next to a lipo just for show. The other charger is charging 2 batteries at 4A each, fan is running really strong. This purchase made my day yesterday...

Also keep note that I don't think the amp meter on the power supply is very reliable for this use.

Ignore the Escape chargers red lights, they blink to signify charging.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:44 PM
HJJFFFAA

Default RE: $30 55 amp power supply for your charger

Oh, you can use those things as power supplies?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking unit, definitely useful.

Just a note, might want to clean up some of that wiring and be sure things don't short out [&:]
Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

There should be a battery put in between the car battery charger and the rc battery charger. Even a small lawn mower battery would do fine.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
rendezvous944
Banned

You can buy 2 Tekin112c chargers for That price.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:12 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: guver

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

There should be a battery put in between the car battery charger and the rc battery charger. Even a small lawn mower battery would do fine.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:52 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoot, i have a modified coputer power supply that will run two chargers and a radio just fine. And i put it in a toolbox with a toggle switch and power poles on the box to plug the charger to, Its pretty sweet, and only cost 10 bucks.