Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Are you scared of nitro engines?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:43 PM
matthew__ruane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are you scared of nitro engines?

Thx Cummins and lol Arctic
Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 PM
howlinwolph

I just bought 2 nitro powered vehicles, one for me and one for my oldest kid. I figure if I can tune a 20,000 dollar plus car a mitro can't be that hard and I can teach my kids something about mechanics all at the same go. I still figure there will be a learning curve but it should be fast for me. LOL
Old 11-17-2009, 02:25 AM
tommygun32

Everytime I take an engine apart, I'm amazed at how few moving parts there really are in one of these...and the power those few bits and pieces can actually produce. (That's with the carb off )
Old 11-17-2009, 04:34 AM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had been into RC all my life, but faded for years before the tmax came out, the pre release videos of the tmaxx had me sold again, and i thought i would love nitro.
I didnt know anything about nitro at the time, and was not scared at all, i thought it would be easy and fun like most people do, i had been running electric for years.
Knowing what i know now, im not scared, but i refuse to go through the work, smell, oily mess.
Gas or electric yes, nitro hell no.
on another note, i hate lipos with a passion, they actually scare me.
yet no major companys are investing in the much safer li-ion (aka A123) tech
sad, like they want us to puff batterys and burn down homes.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:59 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

I don't know how anyone with half a brain could be "scared" of modern Nitro engines. Tuning an engine is a simple, logical process that anyone can memorize and follow. It requires no creativity or out of the box thinking, and minimal problem solving skills. Honestly, I was a pretty decent Nitro engine tuner at the age of 12, and even with a mind that was in a relatively early stage of development, it only took me a few weeks to become fairly adept.

Engine break-in could be intimidating I suppose, but it is another simple and logical process that everyone should be capable of following.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:42 AM
aaronlb

scared no, intimidated yes, but for me the hobby is nitro, and thats all i run. mabe i'll do a gas truck sooner or later but i don't think an electric will ever be on my workbench. and thanks for all patience with guys like me asking newbie questions.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 AM
cenracer1

I've been into this Hobby since the mid 80's when Nitro engines where alot harder to deal with... they remind me of the high end Italian race motors of today... alot has changed over the years and the engines are really quite easy to tune and will most likely run thru the whole tank without issue... Temps are not that much of a concern anymore as the materials and machining is so much better than years ago.... I've never been afraid of a nitro engine but I have been frustrated by a few over the years... most of the problems were caused by user error and not a problem with the motors... Read the manual.... its there for a reason... One would think that the manufacturer understands how to tune their motors...I currently run OS engines and I also have a few Traxxas motors and they work great... Just read the manual and you will be fine.....

As for chiming in on gas motors... I have a HPI Baja and the motor runs flawlessly... yes its easy to run but not really any different than a nitro engine... I also run electric as well... Everything in life has a learning curve.. these motors are no different... Read the Manual... There... I said it for the 3rd time.... LOL
Old 11-17-2009, 04:11 PM
gnd2

Well, couple of my first toy cars when I was a kid were powered by .049 engines (one was actually a prop driven car [8D]) back in the early 80's, so no, I'm not afraid of them any more (was a little intimidated in the beginning since I was young hehe). In fact, I think they're kinda fun.

For some reason I remember having a few .049 engines lying around when I was a kid, don't even know why, they weren't on anything. At one point my friend and I bolted one vertically to a hunk of wood to make a "helicopter". Of course with no tail rotor or controls of any kind the whole thing just started spinning around in the air and plopped to the ground. Pretty dumb but we were young.

I think the engines have really come a long way, they seem much more reliable than I remember them being back then. They take a little more work than the electrics but that's half the fun of it for me
Old 11-17-2009, 04:44 PM
HJJFFFAA

No nitros do not scare me. They just aren't that convenient. I still like them though.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:00 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

Omg.....
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: gnd2

Well, couple of my first toy cars when I was a kid were powered by .049 engines (one was actually a prop driven car [8D]) back in the early 80's, so no, I'm not afraid of them any more (was a little intimidated in the beginning since I was young hehe). In fact, I think they're kinda fun.

For some reason I remember having a few .049 engines lying around when I was a kid, don't even know why, they weren't on anything. At one point my friend and I bolted one vertically to a hunk of wood to make a ''helicopter''. Of course with no tail rotor or controls of any kind the whole thing just started spinning around in the air and plopped to the ground. Pretty dumb but we were young.

I think the engines have really come a long way, they seem much more reliable than I remember them being back then. They take a little more work than the electrics but that's half the fun of it for me
I got my start with those Cox 049s as well. Great engines! The propellor was a bit intimidating....cut two fingers right to the bone once.

It was those old 1.5 volt giant dry cells that made things difficult back then. Thank goodness for the modern glow-ignitor. Recoil starts, roto-starts, etc., all make things so much easier now.

I have to admit, there are still times when a glow-engine won't start or runs strangely that can be mystifying as well as frustrating depite being experienced and familiar with them in general so I can see why many people turn to electric or gasoline. I like that challenge (like it more once I have the problem resolved).

I guess another reason why people turn to electric is the massive low rpm torque....i.e. performance. I prefer getting the best performance from an internal combustion engine any day than "switching" to electric (like the pun?). It's what I like about the hobby.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:48 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I can only imagine the old nitro engines Im sure they were much cruder than what we have now.

Nitro engines each have their own different quirks and tuning characteristics, but that is what makes them fun. You have to figure out the engine, and learn to tune it, and when you get that perfect tune where it will idle all day long and accelerate hard without any hesitation or lean spots, you know that you are the one that tuned it, not some computer programming that fixed it how you wanted it. Maintaining the clutch, cleaning the engine, and the occasional rebuild is fun for me too. [8D] Its the maintenance along with how realistic they make the vehicle respond that really makes me like nitro engines.

Eric
Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Access

Personally I just don't like the smell or getting stuff on my hands. The noise can also be annoying if you live anywhere with any kind of population density. That's all there is too it. If they ever do EFI 2-strokes in RC that might not be as bad for me but I don't think that's going to change without some kind of legislation (similar to what's happened in snowmobiles, dirt bikes, and outboard boat motors) so I'm just really not into it.

I remember when I was younger in the early days of the hobby, my brother's friend had an RC car and it was like tweak for 55 minutes, run for 5 (no idea if he knew what he was doing or not, though). When I got into the hobby several years ago, I asked in the shop and they said there was no reason to use nitro anymore if you didn't want to, so I've never really touched a nitro for any length of time.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:33 PM
cummins driver

Normally for me, its tune for 5 minutes, then run until you run out of fuel or break something. I think people who havent owned a quality nitro/engine get the idea that tuning and wrenching is all you ever do with a nitro, but i have had great luck with mine now that i have been dealing with quality stuff.

This is not a hit at electric, but just for comparison, i spent far more time swapping batteries, and charging batteries with my electric than i do tuning my nitros.

Eric
Old 11-19-2009, 12:38 PM
GT2rider

i am not scared of my nitro engine but i know plenty of electric owners who are...
Old 11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Access

Charging batteries is a passive thing, it's not something 'you' have to actually spend time on (ie. you can do something else while the batteries are charging).
Old 11-19-2009, 01:29 PM
lee172

ORIGINAL: GT2rider

i am not scared of my nitro engine but i know plenty of electric owners who are...

you know the sayin...

LiPo's are like tampons..... every pu***y needs one!!!!

Do you say that when they are flying past you?! as i said before nitro's sound like a fart/pathetic little scooter, and they stink rotten.

Electric FTW!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Access

feh... here we go again... it only takes a little match to start a forest fire...
Old 11-19-2009, 01:55 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

LIPO owns nitro, and its far more technical.....know your voltages smarties, all this BS about how clever nitro guys are, ppfftt, most of us are nitro and electric owner drivers, tampons are like nitro cars, at a dime a dozen, all the cheap p...........s have one ? Sound fair ?

Swapping batteries vs tuning, what a joke.......but its not a volts vs nitro debate is it.

After you have run and tuned nitro engines for over a decade then maybe you could make a thread like this, your a fresh nitro driver yes ?
My 5400Mah batteries will last longer than your tank of fuel.An 8000Mah, wow.......fuel, ppfftt...

This industry was built on electric, over 20 years ago, then nitro came along and we all got into it, it has advanced so far that we are past nitro and back to electric, and we will never see nitro take the lead in this industry again for tech.
It is easier to run electric, but dont think is gonna take less brain cells, your flat wrong......
Tuning a nitro engine is easy, an 8 year old can do it if you teach em.....electricians vs mechanics, who has the degrees or deplomas ? !!! hahaha you nitro guys make me laugh.....
lm both but take the side of electric, because l recognise the far superior machine.

If you go to a track where both electric and nitro are being run, and watch everyone, ON AVERAGE nitro owners do FAR MORE stops and maintenance than electric, hell nitro can stalljust from a jump, it suffers latency from, servo to reciever to throdle body, meaning you CANNOT be as precise in the air on HUGE jumps, not that you would jump a nitro ANYWHERE near as high as a brushless.......
Nitro cannot stop as fast, does not have the punch of electric, and is nowadays just messy.
Doesnt mean we dont all still drive them but.l drive nitro everyweekend, and electric.

Go the LIPO brushless , far more fun than nitro, 90 % driving see....

Li ion batteries are not good enough to compete with LIPO Lordess.
LiFePo could though.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:22 PM
GT2rider

uh oh, dont mess with an electric racer because they'll argue with you on the internet!!!!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:51 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: piddlefoot

LIPO owns nitro, and its far more technical.....know your voltages smarties, all this BS about how clever nitro guys are, ppfftt, most of us are nitro and electric owner drivers, tampons are like nitro cars, at a dime a dozen, all the cheap p...........s have one ? Sound fair ?

Swapping batteries vs tuning, what a joke.......but its not a volts vs nitro debate is it.

After you have run and tuned nitro engines for over a decade then maybe you could make a thread like this, your a fresh nitro driver yes ?
My 5400Mah batteries will last longer than your tank of fuel.An 8000Mah, wow.......fuel, ppfftt...

This industry was built on electric, over 20 years ago, then nitro came along and we all got into it, it has advanced so far that we are past nitro and back to electric, and we will never see nitro take the lead in this industry again for tech.
It is easier to run electric, but dont think is gonna take less brain cells, your flat wrong......
Tuning a nitro engine is easy, an 8 year old can do it if you teach em.....electricians vs mechanics, who has the degrees or deplomas ? !!! hahaha you nitro guys make me laugh.....
lm both but take the side of electric, because l recognise the far superior machine.

If you go to a track where both electric and nitro are being run, and watch everyone, ON AVERAGE nitro owners do FAR MORE stops and maintenance than electric, hell nitro can stall just from a jump, it suffers latency from, servo to reciever to throdle body, meaning you CANNOT be as precise in the air on HUGE jumps, not that you would jump a nitro ANYWHERE near as high as a brushless.......
Nitro cannot stop as fast, does not have the punch of electric, and is nowadays just messy.
Doesnt mean we dont all still drive them but.l drive nitro everyweekend, and electric.

Go the LIPO brushless , far more fun than nitro, 90 % driving see....

Li ion batteries are not good enough to compete with LIPO Lordess.
LiFePo could though.

Sorry dude nitro has way better in air control, much more finesse.........I run both and the nitro rocks all over the BL for in air control !
Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: piddlefoot

Are you calling me out? Im not hardly a fresh nitro driver. Been running them for at least 8 years. Just 2 years short of "a decade". Been running electrics since i could hook up a battery. That shows how hard it is to run one.

As for your batteries lasting longer than fuel. Whatever. If you have unlimited battery packs you can run as long as a nitro, but most people arent millionaire's.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: lee172

Do you say that when they are flying past you?! as i said before nitro's sound like a fart/pathetic little scooter, and they stink rotten.

Electric FTW!
You must have no appreciation of internal combustion engines. Hearing these things get up into the power and pull hard is just awesome IMO. Like a real vehicle when you are running it hard through the gears. Realizing that these engines are turning 30-40k rpm and holding together reliably is just awesome.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:58 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: lee172

Electric FTW!
And after a while in a indoor building like the track I visit sometimes the fumes will burn your eyes. Talk about cancer.[:'(]
I usually just sit by the computer while it counts thier laps away from the pollution.[:-]
And they can get loud as well, my ears are usually ringing when I leave the track for the day.
It all happens while I wait to run my race. And my cars do smell like nitro fuel when I get home.[:@]
Got to scrub them good when I get home to get the smell off of them.[&o]
Nope not afraid of nitro engines, they are just annoying as can be.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: cummins driver
As for your batteries lasting longer than fuel. Whatever. If you have unlimited battery packs you can run as long as a nitro, but most people arent millionaire's.
One battery pack, that costs $50. can run 30-40 minutes. If you are current with the times. A lot of people are still proclaiming yesteryear's facts like they are still true today. A lot of people aren't willing to live in the present, they live in a delusional past where life is some kind of big competition between 'us' and 'them' and they are always on the winning side. The reality is that anyone who does this has already lost that game. Rather than do what they actually enjoy, they choose to fight useless battles with many virtual selves, battles that never end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.