Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Are you scared of nitro engines?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:49 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you scared of nitro engines?

Just wondering how most of you feel about nitro engines. I think a LOT of people are scared to try them, and/or tune them. They dont know how to recognize the signs of the engine, and so they dont want to mess with them. A lot of people wouldnt touch a used nitro truck either because of the same reasons. A lot of people also live by their temperature guns when tuning a nitro engine, and while it is definately a nice tool to have, I think it is overrated. I have never used a temp gun and have yet to have a problem from it.

Now, I have had my share of nitro engine problems like most people have. The first one i ever had drove me crazy because it was my first hobby grade r/c and it came to me with a loose head and shortly after it had many other problems that made me hate it. It was also a low quality r/c that no one really had any experience with. However, once i got the 2.5r on my t-maxx, i fell in love with nitro again. Since then, I have really taught myself to tune them, and most the time, running nitro is really fun for me because nothing about it is hard and I can normally tell what i need to tune to get my engine to run right. I have bought a couple of used nitro engines/vehicles since then, and a little tuning, and some work on them every now and then, and i have never had a real problem yet. I just bought a lot of 3 complete small blocks, and a parts small block to play with for spares and to try and get them running. If even one of them runs, ill have my moneys worth, and ill also have a spare pull start, ez start, etc...

So, im just curious do you love the challenge of learning to tune nitro engines, and running them, or are you a nervous wreck to even try one, or run your own because you are worried you will mess it up? For me, the reward is having an engine that starts good, will idle all day long and has a smooth and strong acceleration with no hesitation. Hearing these things scream at 30k rpm is just really what i love about this hobby, and i dont think i would enjoy it nearly as much if it was any different.

Eric
Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Are you scared of nitro engines?

I started out with electric like 20 years ago with a Tamiya Grasshopper and have since had a few nitro cars. I personally prefer a nitro car to an electric one. I feel that I can do more with them and also really get in there and tear apart, repair and/or tune. It gives more of a participation angle into the RC world to me. Then again I know people who wouldn't touch them because they are scared of them due to breaking them and not knowing how to repair. And I also know people who just buy them and if they break, oh well. So I can understand both sides of the electric and nitro side.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:39 PM
OvalRacer99

I too have ben runing electric for over 20 years, tried nitro but since it's an off road thing and I prefer oval, didn't last long.
Yea, I know, there is nitro oval around the country, but not anywear close to me. Besides, with not having a hobby shop within a 100 miles, it's way to much $$$$
to have fuel shiped in.(to have the clubs parts guy order it, it's like $45 a gallon)
I will stick with my batteries since i can run them indoors as well as outdoors.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:41 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not afraid of them. I Started with nitro. And can tune as good as experienced guys at the hobby shop. I just perfer electric now since it is so much easyer. I will get more nitro's as soon as i get out of high school and am working so i can afford it.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:10 PM
rast4man

I think you pretty much nailed it. The cost of nitro vs battery *seems* to be more expensive, at least in my experience. I've had to shell out much more cash for my nitro car than I did with my electric.

ORIGINAL: So Cal

I am not afraid of them. I Started with nitro. And can tune as good as experienced guys at the hobby shop. I just perfer electric now since it is so much easyer. I will get more nitro's as soon as i get out of high school and am working so i can afford it.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:21 PM
cummins driver

Im not talking nitro vs electric here. Just wondering how many people wont try nitro or are afraid to run theirs because they are worried they are going to tear something up.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:34 PM
rast4man

Kind of an odd question but let's see what the users say. I say no, I'm not afraid and like everything else in life-things break.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:07 AM
FRENCHBLUE72

I started with nitro and love to run em the sound the smell ahhh its just all part of the action. I choose nitro to start with cause everyone told me how hard nitros are and they can be a pain in the winter but otherwise I love em...
Old 11-16-2009, 12:46 AM
iexion

Old 11-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Chris_RC

Nitro engines are getting more and more reliable. Think at how finicky engines are in the 90's and then look at some engines like the OS V-Spec which are super easy to tune and are reliable enough so that even if the tune isnt great it will still get you thru a run without a flameout.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:22 AM
monsterbombs

i am scared []
Old 11-16-2009, 02:55 AM
tommygun32

Honestly, I can't use the word 'scared'. Curious, excited, un-informed, un-experienced and un-knowledgeable are more apt descriptions I think. Worried I would break something through this learning curve...absolutely. I remember seeing some REALLY GOOD advice given to someone here in these threads when they were asking the typical, "NEWBIE, WHAT SHOULD I GET" question. Someone replied with "DON'T BUY AN EXPENSIVE RACE ENGINE WHEN STARTING OUT!" Learn on a cheapo, take notes and don't be scared to ask questions, either here or at the track or friends who've been there before. You'll end up more confident when you do get a better engine, and you'll appreciate the differences between a cheapo compared to a high end engine.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 AM
cummins driver

Well, physically scared is obviously not what i meant, but you have the idea. Just worried in general. It seems reading on here and other places that a lot of people are worried about tuning, only tune their engines when they really need it, and just in general are worried about working on them because they may not get them running again.

The truth is that it is all very simple once you farmiliarize yourself with some things. I just wondered how many electric guys or new people out there wouldnt get into nitro because of the worry of how much trouble it may be to run.

Eric
Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 AM
savagecommander

its my observation too many ppl want to join the hobby but lack the problem solving skills to correct or identify a bad tuning issue. they dont have the insight to know that "if i turn this screw, this happens" they just want it to go. there is a certain level of skill, and patience required to run nitro motors. some ppl just arent cut out for it.

me, i like all three. gas, nitro, and electric.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I just wondered how many electric guys or new people out there wouldnt get into nitro because of the worry of how much trouble it may be to run.

Eric
I'm more surprised at the number of people who switch to electric or gas 1/5 scale because they don't like glow-engines. I suppose when one of those Baja 5B guys writes in saying he can't get his gas engine to start, it sort of explains why he didn't like nitro. (ooh...I'm such a snob!....LOL)

Ultimate oddity: an electric brushless LiPo guy who mounts a nitro engine and generator on his vehicle so he can charge his batteries while driving and make longer runs.

For me, I like small internal combustion engines. The vehicle is only there so the engine has something to do! Only reason I prefer cars/trucks is they are easier to repair than airplanes and usually the "crash" isn't so catastrophic, not to mention trees don't try to eat them.

"Long live internal combustion !"
Old 11-16-2009, 12:49 PM
DaveG55

I ain't sceered of no internal combustion motor!!!!!!!!!!
I'll work on, or take any of them apart

They almost always work when I'm done too
Old 11-16-2009, 12:53 PM
theRCreverend

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

its my observation too many ppl want to join the hobby but lack the problem solving skills to correct or identify a bad tuning issue. they dont have the insight to know that "if i turn this screw, this happens" they just want it to go. there is a certain level of skill, and patience required to run nitro motors. some ppl just arent cut out for it.

me, i like all three. gas, nitro, and electric.
This is very true. I have sold vehicles on ebay and I end up having to hold the buyers hand for the weeks following because they don't know anything about nitro. Ialways include detailed instructions on tuning, etc, but like most people who buy nitro vehicles, they NEVER touch the paperwork, or they just browse it briefly.

To all beginners to nitro: when you get your vehicle, sit down, READthe instructions, and more importantly, do some research on nitro engines before you buy the car. Educate yourself on tuning and troubleshooting. Learn about the different glow plugs, about tuning issues, vacuum leaks, etc. . Most of the people I see on here frustrated with their nitro car are that way because they obviously don't know what they're doing. They'll badmouth it and it ends up that they are theone to blame for the problem.

All you need to do is spend a few hours educating yourself prior to running nitro and you'll be fine. Tuning these engines is incredibly easy IFyou do a little homework prior to starting the engine.....something the majority of people don't do.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:14 PM
butt_housed247

im not scared of nitro engines.  i just don't like the sound of 2 stroke engines, and im really limited on places to run a nitro RC because of the noise and exhaust fumes. 
if they ever find a way to significantly quiet them down i might give them a shot.  tuning can't be that hard.  im sure i could learn how to do it pretty quick.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 PM
rast4man

I can say that I've worked on them before but I've been absent from the sport for so long I want to do a "refresher course".  I don't want to ruin my cars and I obviously want them to run at their peak. I've been re-educating myself regarding nitro engines and look forward to tuning and repairing my own vehicles. I'm one of those that actually RTFM!
Old 11-16-2009, 02:56 PM
matthew__ruane

I hope to get my first Nitro in about a year or so, I am a bit worried that my inexperience with break-in will somehow mess up the engine, but I plan to go ahead with it anyways.

So I guess that's a no?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: matthew__ruane

I hope to get my first Nitro in about a year or so, I am a bit worried that my inexperience with break-in will somehow mess up the engine, but I plan to go ahead with it anyways.

So I guess that's a no?
Follow the instructions for break in from the manufacturer and lean it slowly as you go. Watch tuning videos on youtube. Many of them show exactly how an engine acts when it is too lean or too rich on either needle. Just take your time breaking it in. Make sure it is primed right before you start trying to start it, and MAKE SURE your glow plug and glow igniter are good. If either of those are only sub par it really makes it a pain to start a nitro engine. Take your time though, and break in wont be a problem. Then once it is broken in tune it for performance and enjoy it[8D]
Old 11-16-2009, 03:51 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good thread. I bought my 1st hobby grade rc in 1994. An RC10GT. Been hooked on nitro ever since. For me they are very easy to tune. Got a few old engines laying around which I am planning on rebuilding and porting just to experiment. I have never had a fear and always followed the instructions from the manufactuer for break in. Now I have my own break in method and have had no issues and have never used a temp gun either. Once your experienced you can tell if the engine is too hot just by the sound it makes. If you don't lack troubleshooting skills then go for it. Its not hard at all.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:57 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Scared?

The only time I get scared is when I am AWAY from nitro engines.

I.e. Nitro engines = medication. Nitro engines = therapeutic. Nitro engines = Food for the soul.

I hope I was able to shed some light on my feelings in regards to nitro engines.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider

Nitro engines = medication. Nitro engines = therapeutic. Nitro engines = Food for the soul.

I hope I was able to shed some light on my feelings in regards to nitro engines.
A+++
Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 PM
psb667

nope

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.