Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Help picking first nitro rc! Need durable beater, I think.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help picking first nitro rc! Need durable beater, I think.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help picking first nitro rc! Need durable beater, I think.

You WILL NOT get 25-30 minutes of runtime from a Savage

10-15 minutes is max for most RC nitro cars.

ThunderbirdJunkie gets 8-12 minutes from his XXX-NT's, about 15 from the Savage, and about 7-8 from the MBX5R

Not a huge deal, though, keep an eye on fuel level, and top it off every 10 or so minutes, good to go
Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Angry Pilgrim

ORIGINAL: themaxx69

What about the averge run times of the savage? I thought I read a while ago that the MTs ran for like 10-15 minutes a tank, but I was just reading some other posts and people were saying like 25-50 minutes depending on driving.
Wow! What size gas tank are they using? I don't think you will get over 15 minutes a tank in a savage.I own one and usually fuel up about every 10 to 12minutes and there will be about 1/4 tank left when I do that, so I figure maybe 15 minutes if you run it dry
Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

160cc in the Savage, 125cc for the Mugen, and 75cc for the XXX-NT's (but the engines are less than half the size of the Mugen and Savage, and both trucks combined weigh about what the Mugen weighs
Old 11-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Chris_RC

Can't believe the runtimes you guys are getting. Is the 15 minutes on a Savage putting around, because I know on my 8T with a 150cc tank and OS .21 V-Spec it will get 10 minutes at race pace, getting 10 minutes is normally great. But since Savage's have such big engines and only 10cc more, I don't see how they could get soo much more runtime unless they are putting around.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
breezerboat

Now that we are talking about tank size. I always wish I could somehow sneak a little tank in my buggy. It would be frieaking cool to race a 10 minute qualifier without having to come in for gas. It would give me 10-20 seconds in the race.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

Now that we are talking about tank size. I always wish I could somehow sneak a little tank in my buggy. It would be frieaking cool to race a 10 minute qualifier without having to come in for gas. It would give me 10-20 seconds in the race.
You just need one of the newer gen engines(vspec and speed, NR +4) to get 10+ minutes of runtime and a great tune/small carb restrictor.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:42 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I usually get about 20 minutes out of my savage. It really seems to do pretty decent on fuel to be a .28.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:35 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

The savage is an awesome truck I think. I really like mine[8D]

As for a truggy, the driveline will be stronger and more maintenance free than a savage, and they dont flip nearly as easily. The savage will wheelie much more(which is fun to me),and it will handle rougher terrain than a truggy because of the extra ground clearence.

The truggy is more of a racers rig although it makes a great basher. I think for all out fun running the savage would be more fun. In 6 gallons i have yet to break a suspension part on my savage, or a driveline part other than the stock unshimmed rear differential. They will both handle the short grass without much problem.

Either way you cant really go wrong. Best thing to do is watch youtube videos of each and see which one looks like it would be more fun to run.

Eric

Why do you insist on telling people about Truggies when you have never driven or owned one... Please dude stop doing that, you have no business offering people advice on a product you have no experience with..... I would not care if you actually tried a Truggy and didn't like it, but since you have never even once driven a Truggy you really shouldn't be offering any advice on the subject....Truth be told you know nothing about Truggies except for the speculations you have come up with in your head...... Truggies don't crawl, if you want to put around over boulder then get a MT or crawler...if you want to blast across rough surfaces with some speed a Truggy will murder a MT, if your going faster then 5 MPH the Truggy will cover rougher terrain, and the faster you go the more advantage the Truggy has....... Sorry for the rant people, but I don't feel a person should be speaking up and offering advice on something they know absolutely nothing about...Cummin's Driver has a personal grudge with me, and he knoes I recomend Truggies so he will do everything he can to talk people out of trying a truggy..... All I will say is if Cummin's driver actually drove a good truggy his MT's would get sold off as fast as they would go.....I wish all you guys could take a back to back test drive of a Truggy and a MT before you made your purchase..I guarantee most if not all of you would laugh at the MT afterward.........I have nothing against having a MT, but if your looking for a reliable, capable main RC the Truggy is without question the best way to go, by comparison the MT's for the most part are nothing more then novelties !!!!.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: supertib

As for a truggy, the driveline will be stronger and more maintenance free than a savage, and they dont flip nearly as easily. The savage will wheelie much more(which is fun to me),and it will handle rougher terrain than a truggy because of the extra ground clearence.

The truggy is more of a racers rig although it makes a great basher. I think for all out fun running the savage would be more fun. In 6 gallons i have yet to break a suspension part on my savage, or a driveline part other than the stock unshimmed rear differential. They will both handle the short grass without much problem.

Either way you cant really go wrong. Best thing to do is watch youtube videos of each and see which one looks like it would be more fun to run.

Eric

Why do you insist on telling people about Truggies when you have never driven or owned one... Please dude stop doing that, you have no business offering people advice on a product you have no experience with..... I would not care if you actually tried a Truggy and didn't like it, but since you have never even once driven a Truggy you really shouldn't be offering any advice on the subject....Truth be told you know nothing about Truggies except for the speculations you have come up with in your head...... Truggies don't crawl, if you want to put around over boulder then get a MT or crawler...if you want to blast across rough surfaces with some speed a Truggy will murder a MT, if your going faster then 5 MPH the Truggy will cover rougher terrain, and the faster you go the more advantage the Truggy has....... Sorry for the rant people, but I don't feel a person should be speaking up and offering advice on something they know absolutely nothing about...Cummin's Driver has a personal grudge with me, and he knoes I recomend Truggies so he will do everything he can to talk people out of trying a truggy..... All I will say is if Cummin's driver actually drove a good truggy his MT's would get sold off as fast as they would go.....I wish all you guys could take a back to back test drive of a Truggy and a MT before you made your purchase..I guarantee most if not all of you would laugh at the MT afterward.........I have nothing against having a MT, but if your looking for a reliable, capable main RC the Truggy is without question the best way to go, by comparison the MT's for the most part are nothing more then novelties !!!!.
+1 Give it up cummins, truggies are more capable than MT's! I dont care if a MT has1 foot of travel, it still won't handle offroad (besides rock crawling) better than truggies
Old 11-23-2009, 11:56 PM
breezerboat

I would go with a top end buggy AND a top end MT. get both. MT's do look cool when they drive though.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 PM
cummins driver

What did i say that was misleading about truggies? When you quit running your mouth and get a video in a plowed field with your truggy then ill believe you. Until then it is nothing but talk.

You can say what you want about an MT only being better in "crawling situations", but regardless an MT is still better in some situations wether you like it or not. You say the faster the better, but thats the thing, There are places an MT will go that a truggy wont go at all so you consider those crawling situations and try to act like those situations dont matter.

I had a buggy. Same dang thing as a truggy besides the bigger tires and wider stance which obviously makes a difference, but they arent the only thing out there. Some of us run for fun and not for the capabilities of the vehicle. I have heard more than a few people say MT's are more fun to drive than truggies. My 1/8 buggy was extremely durable, handled great, and all that good stuff. But for some reason for sheer fun i still prefer my HPI Firestorm over the buggy i had just for the fun part of it even though its not as durable. Sometimes you need to open up and realize it isnt all about the capability/handling of the r/c. Plus, a new truggy typically is one of the more expensive things you can buy, and the original poster is on a budget.

Eric
Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

+1 Give it up cummins, truggies are more capable than MT's! I dont care if a MT has1 foot of travel, it still won't handle offroad (besides rock crawling) better than truggies
Why dont you come up with your own opinions and quit following Supertib around like he's your daddy or something.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Sure is pointless bickering in here.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you come up with your own opinions and quit following Supertib around like he's your daddy or something.

Maybe because he's actually got enough experience to realize I am giving good advice....... As i say dude you need to try a truggy before you make all these silly assumptions.....Just because you had a Buggy with some RTR motor doesn't mean you know anything about truggies...... I am not trying to single you out here, but you really shouldn't be offering these people such bad advice on a topic your nowhere near qualified to answer.... The advice your offering is very wrong and very inaccurate, and if you weren't so cheap or so stubborn you would already know this....
Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 AM
breezerboat

Hell yea, that's why I say to get a speedy track machine BUGGY and a fun to drive neighborhood/ditch/park machine MONSTER TRUCK.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:40 AM
cummins driver

Maybe because he's actually got enough experience to realize I am giving good advice....... As i say dude you need to try a truggy before you make all these silly assumptions.....Just because you had a Buggy with some RTR motor doesn't mean you know anything about truggies...... I am not trying to single you out here, but you really shouldn't be offering these people such bad advice on a topic your nowhere near qualified to answer.... The advice your offering is very wrong and very inaccurate, and if you weren't so cheap or so stubborn you would already know this....
Yeah, since truggies are so different from buggies and all. They have wider arms, longer axleshafts, bigger tires, and lower gearing. Thats the extent of the mechanical differences. I also didnt know that you always got a high dollar race engine when you buy a truggy. Ill keep that in mind.

What bad advice did i offer? Tell me that. Matter of fact i didnt even reccomend an MT to begin with since i knew he was on a budget.

Talk about how MT's are junk all you want. The fact is that i own one and in 6 gallons of running it, I have spent about $40 on repairs. Real junky and unreliable, huh.

I really dont care. You are entitled to your opinion and im entitled to mine. This is a FUN hobby for me, not something where everytime i go out I get frustrated if my r/c isnt handling perfect, or the shock oil needs to be 10wt heavier.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The longer wheelbase and wider track makes them MUCH more stable than MTs or buggies.

[/pointless bickering]
Old 11-24-2009, 12:48 PM
matthew__ruane

Come down to Paddock's Short course in Goodyear, It's a great track. They have races on Friday (if enough people show up) and it's good fun to sit down and talk with people if you don't even have a model. I'll hopefully be there on Friday.

As for a first Nitro, you might want to look at the Losi Ten-T thats coming out around Christmas. It looks like it's great at the track and will definitely be a good basher. I plan on getting one as well.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Tea Bags
Banned

Supertib - I have never once seen you give good advice. All you do it play "know-it-all" and so many people have called you out on your comments. If I bought you for what you're really worth, and sold you for what you think you're worth - - I'd be a very rich man!!!
I also think it's really funny to watch your little possey (Chris_RC) follow you around like you're some God. They just love swinging from your nuts. Basically, you're an idiot and your credibility sucks.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Tea Bags
Banned

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey Chris - while you have your nose up SuperTib's a**, maybe you should do like SuperTib and justify your comments by sending everyone a picture of you and your butt-buddies with their little RC cars. "Hey guys - check out my toys!!!"
When you race cars together, who brings the milk and cookies?
Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 PM
richardcranium

Eric

another thread where Chris_RC and supertib gang up on someone. What a surprise!I am tired of trying to read threads and learn something while you two little *****es bash on other people. Go get a life and produce something meaningful for society, you little dicks.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Tea Bags
Banned

Supertib - I have never once seen you give good advice. All you do it play "know-it-all" and so many people have called you out on your comments. If I bought you for what you're really worth, and sold you for what you think you're worth - - I'd be a very rich man!!!
I also think it's really funny to watch your little possey (Chris_RC) follow you around like you're some God. They just love swinging from your nuts. Basically, you're an idiot and your credibility sucks.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Angry Pilgrim

..... All I will say is if Cummin's driver actually drove a good truggy his MT's would get sold off as fast as they would go.....I wish all you guys could take a back to back test drive of a Truggy and a MT before you made your purchase..I guarantee most if not all of you would laugh at the MT afterward
What an incredibly arrogant thing to day. Let me try and educate you as it appears you are somewhat blind. Everyone is different, weall have different likes and dislikes. Thereare tons of people who actually preferMT's to truggies. Yes, it's true. I know that's probably hard for an ignoramis like you to digest.If you really think that everyone does or should think the way you do as you're suggesting here, then you are one sad individual. Regardless of what youwere trying to say, as I'm sure you won't agree with my take on it, you've only managed to clutter up this thread with wasted space.

I think I can speak for most people who have been following this thread when I say to you, just piss off.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Chris_RC

Funny that people think I am his 'possey' or something like that.

I have driven and owned many MT's. I have driven and owned quite a few truggies, and BY FAR the truggies outpreform the MT's in ever aspect except rock crawling.

And you are talking about credibility? You have 13 posts and you made a thread because your RC8T doesn't start and you are about the throw it at the nehibor kid.

And PLEASE Cummins, AT LEAST try a good truggy (Mugen, Losi, Xray) before you bag on it and say that you have owned a buggy, because in all reality it was a cheap buggy with no parts support, and wasn't as durable or does not handle nearly as well as the mainstream brands. You were just runnng WOT across grass, that is why you don't break parts on your car.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Anomie

At the request of the OP, this discussion may continue. I have edited out many posts to remove unrelated and unnecessary bickering, so please keep the talk relevant and within the scope of the rules.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.