Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Mixing your own fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:43 PM
rcinthesun
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mixing your own fuel

ORIGINAL: theRCreverend

ORIGINAL: rcinthesun

I've always used Klotz and have never found anything wrong with it - nor have I hear anything negative about it. So What?
klotz is good, but too expensive in my opinion. Buy it from someone else. Hint: check with manufacturers who sell soap making ingredients

I bought it in bulk for our 55 gallon batch
OK - so how much did you pay for it?And please refrain from lying to us.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 PM
theRCreverend

ORIGINAL: pmoen70

I decided to try just methanol and castor oil. Works great! I didn't do any machining, but I did remove the shims. I did notice a slight drop in power, but I tend to run engines that are overpowered for the airframe anyway. I bought a 5 gallon can for, I think, somewhere around $35 in the summer of 2009.

Paul
Yeah, the machining isn't necessary. I just did it to 3 of my motors as an experiment. Going from 30% nitro down to no nitro will definitely give you a noticable power loss. I bumped compression as far as I could with head shim removal, but wanted to bump it more, so I went with the machining. The machining made a big difference, and much of the lost power in going to no nitro was gained back by doing this.

If you're not racing then there's no reason to even consider machining. Many of these good racing mills overpower the cars they're in, so with them you can probably just switch to no nitro withoutmachining and still race well at your club.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 AM
rcrick10
My Feedback: (1)

hey guys this link will help you in your nitro mixing venture http://www.nitrorc.com/default2.asp?...rc.com/fuelws/
Old 12-11-2009, 07:18 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't have a problem mixing 1 quart of turbine oil with 5 gallons of Jet Fuel........LOL>>>>>>>>
Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Chileboys808

Do you mix klotz + methanol with real gas? Sorry but I don't know much about mixing
or in 1 gal all the klotz + metanol I don get it?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you aren't running a high performance engine, just run 25% plane fuel with a little castor added, $15.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:48 PM
fatmanvw

Ok l'm intrigued i understand everything except what Klotz oil to use

Also I'm wondering what the ratio would be if i used Klotz Nitroil
Old 05-16-2010, 07:44 AM
skrilla

ORIGINAL: fatmanvw

Ok l'm intrigued i understand everything except what Klotz oil to use

Also I'm wondering what the ratio would be if i used Klotz Nitroil
Not surewhatklotz nitroil is. For klotz castor oil, 15% by volume is enough. Simply take a 1 gallon container, add 2 and 1/2 cups castor oil, then top off the container with methanol.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Chileboys808

Do you use an empty 1 gal?? Is this creating your own fuel or mixing cause I want to make my own
So it's like add 2 1/2 cups of castor oil and the rest of 3/4 of the gallon fill it with methanol which is alchol?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:27 PM
fatmanvw

from what there web site says nitroil is oil with nitro in it
Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 PM
skrilla

ORIGINAL: Chileboys808

Do you use an empty 1 gal?? Is this creating your own fuel or mixing cause I want to make my own
So it's like add 2 1/2 cups of castor oil and the rest of 3/4 of the gallon fill it with methanol which is alchol?
yes, and empty 1 gallon jug, add the oil to the jug, then fill the jug to the top with methanol. Since this fuel mixture has no nitromethane, you will need to lean out your carb needles a bit if you've been running fuel with nitro, otherwise it will run very rich.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Chileboys808

this same website says the nitro doesn't have oil in it but the castrol has. IDK
Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Chileboys808

Hey are the carb needles to the right of the engine because i get a 21 engine and it kind of eat the gas fast but the entrace from the gas to the engine i have that one almost closed cause i need more torque than top speed...
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

If you need more torque, thats a gearing change.Not tune related.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 PM
fatmanvw

what klots oil do u use
Old 05-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Chileboys808

I have an zenoah engine on a dominator truck
Old 05-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Chileboys808

I was planning to use this one http://www.largescalerc.com/klotzr-5...2cycleoil.aspx
if you get a better one let me know please and I want to create my own cause on this damn island the hobbi shop don't have it any more ;( but I get 1 gal bottles from the old gas and do you think by mixing this one Klotz +methanol it will give me enough to run my engine?? + maybe I might add some extra nitro
Old 05-18-2010, 06:06 PM
fatmanvw

since methanol absorbs water what be the bet thing to store it in?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Chileboys808

I think on a gas bottle IDK im just saying....
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 PM
skrilla

ORIGINAL: fatmanvw

since methanol absorbs water what be the bet thing to store it in?
Any container that seals it from the environment. It is going to absorb mositure from the air, so store it in a sealed container. A sturdy plastic jug is fine, like a gas can.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:26 AM
Chileboys808

Hey by instance do you know anything about cars size exhaust
Old 05-25-2010, 11:13 PM
moe7404

iam moe in wichita ks. i have been mixing my own nitro for 9 mo. 1. you do not save money. 2. you cant take so many oz of nitro ad so many oz of methanol, the percents will NOT be right you have to use a hydrometer AND compensate for temperature. most meters are $70-80. 3. methanol can be hard to find some times. i was lucky wichita has a lot drag racers, i found a speed shop that has methanol for $2.7 a gal. also nitro , methanol is toxic i large amounts, so if you spill a lot on you , you WILL feel sick for a while.. NOTE: I DO NOT RECOMEND MIXING YOUR OWN FUEL, IT CAN BE DANGEROUS, KEEP AWAY FROM KIDS AND PETS. IN DAY LIGHT A METHANOL FIRE CAN NOT BE SEEN.. HOWEVER A METHANOL FIRE CAN BE PUT OUT WITH WATER. these cats have the fuels you need. www.torcoproducts.com there methanol is high priced.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:56 PM
skrilla

ORIGINAL: moe7404

iam moe in wichita ks. i have been mixing my own nitro for 9 mo. 1. you do not save money. 2. you cant take so many oz of nitro ad so many oz of methanol, the percents will NOT be right you have to use a hydrometer AND compensate for temperature. most meters are $70-80. 3. methanol can be hard to find some times. i was lucky wichita has a lot drag racers, i found a speed shop that has methanol for $2.7 a gal. also nitro , methanol is toxic i large amounts, so if you spill a lot on you , you WILL feel sick for a while.. NOTE: I DO NOT RECOMEND MIXING YOUR OWN FUEL, IT CAN BE DANGEROUS, KEEP AWAY FROM KIDS AND PETS. IN DAY LIGHT A METHANOL FIRE CAN NOT BE SEEN.. HOWEVER A METHANOL FIRE CAN BE PUT OUT WITH WATER. these cats have the fuels you need. www.torcoproducts.com there methanol is high priced.
Maybe for you, but for myself and many others it is much cheaper. Also, you do not need a hydrometer, this is not NASA. The percents may be a little off due to possible expansion/contraction of the solvent once mixedby volume,butthedifferencewill be negligible.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM
moe7404

to: skrilla. your point that mixing may be cheaper for some is well taken. i just got through mixing two 40% 18 oz batches. then tryed to mix a batch of 50%. something went wrong and think i ended up with 70%, but not sure. i checked it 4 times got a defferant no each time. i have friend that has 4 top fuel motorcycles, i will have to get his help. just be careful. BUT i still say dont do your own mixing.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:46 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Dont mean to sound like a dick but Ill take the word of the guy showing more experience (IE +7800 posts as opposed to less than 250)
ORIGINAL: cool-joe

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Of course shimming and tuning is different.
Then they're not, like I said.

They've made automobiles run off deep-fryer grease, but that doesn't mean they were designed to or run as well as they were intended to either.

This discussion was first had almost two years ago, when there first started being a nitro shortage. One major drag racing series found itself on the verge of being cancelled because they couldn't get nitromethane. About the same time RCnitro fuel jumped in price, as a direct result of the nitro shortage because the lone U.S. nitro supplier was getting out of the business and the remaining importer was located in China which was doing things to cutting back on companies that producted environmentally harmfull products, nitormethane being one of them because of the then upcoming Olympics. But the price has remained high, again, because there is no U.S. producer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.