Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Why don't you pick a cheaper hobby?"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

"Why don't you pick a cheaper hobby?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE:

"her way of controlling me". "Making me fall in line".

Doesn't sound like it.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:55 AM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

The point is

ThunderbirdJunkie is into guns, RC cars, ancient Japanese motorcycles (newest one is a '79), and 1:1 cars/4x4s.

She said "Why don't you pick a cheaper hobby?"
ThunderbirdJunkie responded with "Because cheap hobbies are boring"

And AutoXMan, if ThunderbirdJunkie had the room for a Mk7 or T-bird TurboCoupe there would be one occupying the space
And here i thought i was the only one that got that, I have been into RC for approx 30 years and boy times have changed it is a lot cheaper now then it was 30 years ago and now I don't really have to build if i don't want to and it is still cheaper, I quit for about 13 years to build Hot rods, Now look at these and tell me what you think she is saying now, Yes she is saying look Honey I say this at the hobby shop with i was picking up some glue for my projects and do you remember when you liked these biplanes.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90807.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1347171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74157.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1347172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63592.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1347173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83870.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1347174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68810.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	1347175  
Old 01-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE:

Wow, this thread has reeled in two new RCU members. Welcome Skyleader and TruckerPat!

TruckerPat: If you need help getting going again, head over to the electric forum. There's also a special forum just for transmitter issues, though it is pretty slow, traffic-wise.

For old battery holders for the Tx, keep an eye on ebay. Maybe a replacement transmitter is in order. (a used one just like yours or a new one altogether)

andernaman's problems seem like he just hasn't stood up to her enough. Some women, when you take a stand on things, they'd rather just leave you, so maybe he's afraid of that and whether it would be worth it by the time she finished taking his stuff in a divorce. Some men would rather be unhappily married either for financial or lonliness reasons. My dad, for example, is on his 4th wife. She's kind of a witch, it is all about her. I told him when he was dating her that he didn't have to marry the first woman that would have him, and that he should stand by for bit...
Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE:

Wow, another new member! 2.4ghs, how do you even see the road in front of you with the blowers on that first one being so bulky?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:49 AM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE:

Well you do sit up a little bit in seat and the periscope does help.  Also what helps is my son in law and my son are both police officers. I drive it to the local shows and trailer it to the long shows over 50miles as the MPG is not very good. 15 gal tank and i can go 31 miles.  1385HP @ 5800 985ft.lbs torque @ 5800, so really not very friendly on the street. It is like flying a tale dragger airplane you turn your head to the left and then to the right and yell CLEAR.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Steve Landron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE:

I love this hobby,

Planes and helos, but I tell you; with out my wife’s support I'm sure things would be different. I feel for the guys whose significant others impose their will on them, life’s too short. If one can't coexist in a relationship your better off living alone. My wife and I have four cars, a boat and a small home. My wife has her hobbies; garden, jewelry, home, clothes and purses. We balance our purchases. I recently picked up my first 2.4GHZ (Spectrum DX7) radio by patiently waiting.

As far as a cheap hobby, what I love about planes and helos, is you can build up to it, and once you have the major purchases (radio engine etc), your general cost (crashing being the exception) is usually low. Over the years, I've collected more than 30 planes (down to 10 now!) and numerous radios etc. For me, it always seems as though the hobby grows on its own once things get started.

19 years of marriage, 10 RC planes, 4 RC helos, 1965 Mustang, 18ft Wellcraft, Jeep Wrangler, must be doing something right...

Steve
[8D]
Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 AM
TBONE6

Default RE:

1) keep all R/C equipment in the car..........can't tell if it's old or new, and it's always there ready to go.

2) THAT? oh, that's been in layaway for some time now. (truth- my LHS rocks!)

3) GOING TO THE HOBBY SHOP!!...............not to buy anything i hope!!!...........no, just need some sim time

4) try to resist talking about ANYTHING AVIATION RELATED! i don't even flip the bird!!!

5) invite her to the field or flying events.........if they decline, at least you tried to spend THAT time with them. doesn't cost a dime

my thoughts..........

Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Default RE:

whats wrong with telling the old gf/wife to find her own hobby...my wifes hobby seems to be nagging me and reminding me how much i spend on my r/c airplanes! But i love her!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 PM
colmo-RCU

Default RE:

My wife says every man has a hobby. Football, skiing, paragliding, cars, bikes, other women, some even other guys, hehe. So she thinks mine is the lesser evil. And besides, my kid loves it so for now Im set. When he finds girls its going to be another story.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Srewinkel

Default RE:

the wife wanted me to get a cheaper hobby, so i got a girlfriend..  she is glad i am back to RCs...
Old 01-02-2010, 12:45 PM
iflircaircraft

A cheaper hobby? No such thing!!
Yes, there is the initial investment, field equipment,engines/motors etc. But overall it's no more expensive than most other hobbies.
The thing is, I put my wife first, my hobby second.

Tom
Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 PM
fiferguy82

I say get her hooked. Then you'll have to buy duplicates of everything. []
Old 01-02-2010, 01:23 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: andernamen

For my wife it is not simply the money, cause I rarely buy new planes and I don't spend money on anything. Pelse. For her it is about controlling me and keeping me under her thumb. She HATES the hobby and rarely do I get away with doing it. She has broken more than one plane and hangs them over me at every opportunity to make me ''fall in line''. My suggestion, if the GF is balking at the hobby now, definitely don't marry her and start looking for another. Life is too short. It will only get worse if you stay with her.
Wow...
Dude that's bad.
Wow brother. Sounds like a volitile situation. Breaking your stuff to keep you in check? Not good brother. My wife hates the hobby but understands it's what makes me happy. As mentioned in my earlier post she got me the Savage for Christmas.

In your case here is what I would do. Just act like you don't care. Ignore her when she tries to have converation. Push her emotianally away until SHE cheats on you. Then you can divorce her and keep pmpost of your stuff. She will be the one messing up not you. Just play the victim and play it good. Trust me it works.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:14 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE:

Some have it rougher than others and that sucks. This is our hobby, not theirs. If they don't want to be included in it after we try to do so with them, then it's never going to happen and might be time to move on. Sounds almost silly to think of trading in a woman for a hobby but maybe the woman isn't confident with herself and needs constant attention. Could be anything. If you pay the bills, such as I do, then the hobby stays and we learn to deal with it together.

Welcome to the two new members.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:15 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Kaos1964

For my wife it is not simply the money, cause I rarely buy new planes and I don't spend money on anything else. For her it is about controlling me and keeping me under her thumb. She HATES the hobby and rarely do I get away with doing it. She has broken more than one plane and hangs them over me at every opportunity to make me ''fall in line''. My suggestion, if the GF is balking at the hobby now, definitely don't marry her and start looking for another. Life is too short. It will only get worse if you stay with her.
Wow...
Dude that's bad.

This is why I am gleefully single. Why would you stick with that???
No kidding.
ORIGINAL: Bigbangtheory

Maybe he loves her for other things?

Sorry, but ain't no genitalia of any sort worth sticking with through that ITBJHO
Old 01-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Bigbangtheory

Default RE:

It is always about give or take.............

Me, I am trying to get my wife into this hobby. Something to do together.

I am going to take her out once all this whit ish takes a hike! The stock slash don't go to well in it, lol!

Then I have my son and daughter who might like it......they are too young right now. Well my son is. My daughter laughs when I run the slash around the kitchen table. She may like it after all, who knows.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

We were fighting last night and I was pretty ticked off when I made that post. But she has broken a partly built TF P-40, a GP P-51 and the wing of my TF GS P-51. Also a foamie P-51 and a dragonlady. I have considered divorce, believe me. As some of you know, divorce with kids aint a good situation either. I'm trying to balance everything, but I will agree, I need to stand up to her more. She is very strong willed and I tend to just try to get along. I know, recipe for disaster. My point was though, if you aren't married yet and you see these signs, it won't get better, just worse.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:14 PM
rast4man

I feel for ya' broski. Just do your best for the sake of the kids. Hopefully something will give. Maybe a round table conversation?

We were fighting last night and I was pretty ticked off when I made that post. But she has broken a partly built TF P-40, a GP P-51 and the wing of my TF GS P-51. Also a foamie P-51 and a dragonlady. I have considered divorce, believe me. As some of you know, divorce with kids aint a good situation either. I'm trying to balance everything, but I will agree, I need to stand up to her more. She is very strong willed and I tend to just try to get along. I know, recipe for disaster. My point was though, if you aren't married yet and you see these signs, it won't get better, just worse.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:30 PM
jacjac
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE:

the only difference between men and boys is the price of there toys, women should know this, im into high performance sand rails also, she says she will move out if i buy one more part for anything, ive been wieghing my options since x-mas and its a really hard choice. try just sittin around with and watch movies and go out to dinner, well im getting bored fast if she dont give alittle then we are done.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 PM
jacjac
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE:

oh hell no if she broke my stuff on purpose, like the wing off my 40% YAK, we would be DONE, ive known women like that next they are throwing pots and pans at you.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:24 PM
animalnut

ORIGINAL: rast4man

I stopped the continuing projects on my cars (sold the Integra finally) for RC and I still catch hell for it. My RC replaced this:

I need your exact address and a good time you will be home .............SO I CAN SLAP YOU!

LOL those are some nice rides, I love the bmw though!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:07 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my old time friends was in a similar situation. He tried making things work for the kids sake he tried for 4 years to make it work, till he finally came to the conclusion raising kids where the parents hate each other was not very healthy for his kids. She actually did fling a frying pan at his head once when me and a few of his friends were there for no reason, she was out when we came and snuck in the back door and flung it, the damn thing almost hit me cause I was sitting near him, that was the last time any of use went there while he was married. He is ALOT happier since he left her.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 PM
monsterbombs

maybe some of us should start looking at guns for a
hobby like tbj. j/k

your wifes must put up with a fair bit considering most
of you guys have 1:1 toys aswel.

maybe 1:1 jets would shut her up?

"im taking up full scale jets as a hobby" could you imagine?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:05 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: monsterbombs

your wifes must put up with a fair bit considering most
of you guys have 1:1 toys aswel.
I can't sympathize with the wives. They are hobbies, something that you love. If their wives can't respect that and shut up about it then what good is she?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:07 PM
rast4man

LOL. Thanks man. Once I'm "chilled" with the RC thing I'll get another 1:1 and fix it all up and sell it like I usually do. I'm keeping the peace right now and I have a perfect balance I don't want to funk up. I'm getting itchy for the next project though.

ORIGINAL: animalnut

ORIGINAL: rast4man

I stopped the continuing projects on my cars (sold the Integra finally) for RC and I still catch hell for it. My RC replaced this:

I need your exact address and a good time you will be home .............SO I CAN SLAP YOU!

LOL those are some nice rides, I love the bmw though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.