Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What got you into Hobby Grade RC's

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Bluebrew
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What got you into Hobby Grade RC's

Hey, I never heard of R/C cars either till I saw one(in the box) at the hobbies shop (but I do kinda live in a cave). I was simply bored one day and thought, "I'll bet a hobby shop might have something to keep me busy." Grabbed a Sig Cadet or something like that, went to pay and in the glass counter was a big box that said SAVAGE SS on it. I sez, "waz zat?" Guy sez, "it'z da baddas mutha around, you'll luv it. He was right!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:56 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

In January of 2009 I had arthroscopic surgery on my left shoulder and would be recovering for the rest of the year and off work; one day in April I was surfing ebay and came across an ad for an RC car (Redcat Tornado BB) and after that purchase I was hooked.
Since April I have purchased a Traxxas Stadium Maxx, HPI Savage X SS, Redcat Racing Aftershock 8E, and Traxxas Slash 4X4; that pretty much will tell ya how much I love these things; I have already invested over $2500.00 in this hobby and still looking to buy a 1/5th scale this summer.
I am pretty much hooked !!!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Lurp06x

when i was little like 7 or 8 me an my friend would battle with are rc cars in the street he had mustang an i had a humvee both were nyko's an we would smash into each other trying to flip each others cars over. then this punk rich kid had a traxxas rustler (this was like 10yrs ago) came an kicked are butts and ran circles around are cars. we couldnt afford something that nice so we avoided him but kept on battling. later on my friend got a slash an i got a rustler and the battling continued. and now since i have my own income an i live on my own i got two more rc's an now looking at getting a tamiya kit.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I had a friend who has an old Losi that was real neat when I was a kid.  I then jumped into it and got a Duratrax Maxiumum ST as my first real truck.  After being out of the hobby for about 10 years, I am now back into it with way tooo many cars and trucks.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:30 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I started out with some radio shack stuff. I had some when i was pretty young, but they were kind of forgotten. Then I was at a Mall one day with my parents and went into radio shack when I was about 11 and saw a "Sampson" 4wd monster truck with real working differentials, shaft driven 4wd, and good ground clearence. I bought it with my own money and was real excited about it. I used and modified it for about 2 years, and then for some reason we went into a hobby shop one day. I couldnt believe it all. One that really caught my eye was the traxxas sledgehammer(anyone remember those?). I remember writing down the cost for what I could buy the sledgehammer for. I still remember seeing it sitting on the shelf. So then, It was probably only a few months later that i ended up with a nitro r/c truck. After much frustration with it(for many reasons other than just my lack of experience) I bought a traxxas stampede KIT and built it and put all the electronics in it. THEN i was hooked. I have pretty much had a blast with it since then. I am kind of on and off with the hobby, but im pretty heavy with it right now
Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first dabbling was a tyco grasshopper, when rc's started appearing at your local stores. I bought it for 50.00, and loved it except for it eatting through batteries. I was a big motorcycle nut, and speed freak, but got hurt in a really bad car accident, I still lusted for motorcycles but the old back won't take it. Even nice sport cars hurt me, so I had to find my fix elseware. Got into planes but the guys scared me out of it, talking about the crashes and total destruction, so I sold them.

First nitro rc truck duratrax max st, then an hpi rush, this one really hooked me, then a rs4. About 5 years later I now own 25 rc cars, trucks, truggies, buggies, and 3 rc helicopters.

I own every scale 1/16, 1/12, 1/10, 1/8 and added a 1/5 scale baja 5b 2.0.

Now I am looking for the real deal a 1997 to 2002 pontiac firebird, but a bit pricy 9 to 12 g's I am not sure i want this kinda of debt, Its nice not owing anybody nothing.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Blkft1

Geez! Never really thought how much time has passed [23yrs[8D]]! My buddy since junior high got me started with a Tamiya Hornet his dad bought him for Xmas. He let me drive it once and smacked a curb that snapped the chassis behind the front shock tower.We went to the local hobby shop [Eagle Hobby Shop Mesquite Tx] and I replaced the chassis for him [$8[X(]] ! While I was there I bought a Blackfoot,used a spare Futaba set up from my bud and since then its been a downward spiral of fun.Of course our hobbies progressed to fullsize bikes,cars,trucks and many many girlfriends but we always ran Rc along the way,till this day we're still bud's.

Luckily we both married wives that are understanding of our Rc addiction [p.s. please disregard the many many girlfriends in my post!].

Old 01-22-2010, 09:58 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow i'm having a flashback!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
it's the late 70's and i see a cox .049 buggy. it looked really cool BUT when my buddy fired it up............ that was it i knew what i wanted.
since then i've had 50+ rc's nitro,electric,gas ect. i remember 1 we put testors rocket motors on and shot it off the cliff at the concrete pit that thing flew then went into a big ball of flames. my gallery is just some of the last 8yrs or so. i wish i still had some of the old stuff.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 PM
stratosteve

Great stories!!!
The first r/c that I remember was a radio shack Audi quattro that I ran in my parents basement. My dad had waterproofed that side of the basement and the floor was permanently slick. The challenge was to see how long I could hold the tail out, but under control. Did someone say drifting?

My dad's co-worker brought over the first hobby grade r/c I had ever seen...a Tamiya Frog. That was the beginning of my journey. He ended up getting out of the hobby and I bought his tackle box full of stuff. (and still have it) I met a boy in our neighborhood who had a Grasshopper and we instantly became friends. Still my best friend to this day some twenty years later.

First car was a Tamiya Fox then a Blackfoot then a Turbo Ultima (still have) then a Clodbuster (still have) then a JRXT (still have) and then came the full scale stuff. I didn't have a lot of money leftover playing with the big toys, so the little ones got put on the shelf. I picked up my first nitro, a t-maxx in 2000 and the passion started again. I bought a TAO4S and then a Rustler VXL. Two Vendetta ST's (one for the wife) and an ERBE. Just last month I picked up my first heli, a CB100. I need help. Just this week alone, I upgraded my vendetta and TAO4S to brushless. It is amazing how far the electrics have come since I was a kid. Who am I kidding...I am a big kid.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son got me hooked after he moved out into his own home.He came in one day with a rustler and I said...
What are you spending that much $$ on a r/c for ? 1 week later I had an e-maxx & a rustler.
That was in "03" now ive got about 20 r/c's mostly from flea markets & yard sales......I cant help myself now!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Kishon

Got an Rc10 t2 like 8 years ago off a neighbor, hooked from then
Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 PM
lords

ORIGINAL: basketballfan60123

In January of 2009 I had arthroscopic surgery on my left shoulder and would be recovering for the rest of the year and off work; one day in April I was surfing ebay and came across an ad for an RC car (Redcat Tornado BB) and after that purchase I was hooked.
Since April I have purchased a Traxxas Stadium Maxx, HPI Savage X SS, Redcat Racing Aftershock 8E, and Traxxas Slash 4X4; that pretty much will tell ya how much I love these things; I have already invested over $2500.00 in this hobby and still looking to buy a 1/5th scale this summer.
I am pretty much hooked !!!
i have been through the HPI 5b and all kinds of mods for it(not the 2 speed trans that came out) i sold both of my 5b's and
picked up a REDCAT RAMPAGE DUNERUNNER 4X4(good option of 4 wheel drive or 2)..tried both because of a dogbone issue
and this thing rocks..talk about some nice highspeed drifting in 2 wheel drive...(waiting for a 2 speed for this baby)
I won't go back to my 5b's because of the limits......
Old 08-10-2010, 01:54 PM
kaiser01

where'd you find this thread lords? it's old but i'll play.

1985 my pops and i got into slot car racing. it was fun but i would go and drool all over the tamiya boxes (they really knew how to attract kids with the box art lol)
i begged and begged but my dad wouldn't bite. so after a few months i managed to buy a used tamiya wild one from a schoolmate.
a few months after that my dad got me a new optima mid. after that my dad got involved and we both got new jrx2's. from 88-93 we raced alot then we got out of it.
i got my drivers license and spent more time with friends and girls......

fast foward to 2005 when i bought a nib tamiya dirt thrasher off ebay, now i'm up to 12 cars and theres no end in site. i can't wait for my 1 year old to grow up some so we can enjoy this hobby together!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:00 PM
lords

nice kaiser01 ...that's how it should be...passed along the family so this hobby can keep going..
I see tracks and interest in this hobby dieing year by year...

P.S this just popped up on a search or something .....
Old 08-10-2010, 02:13 PM
djyjrlz

my best friend got given one for christmas and watching him rip it up and down the road was so cool
then i sved up enough to buy a firestorm like 3 years ago and has only recently gotten a problem 'frikken switch'
i only bough the firestorm because it was supposedly faster than my friends schumacher rascal and we drove them untill we ran out of fuel.
good times
Old 08-10-2010, 02:20 PM
kaiser01

ORIGINAL: lords

nice kaiser01 ...that's how it should be...passed along the family so this hobby can keep going..
I see tracks and interest in this hobby dieing year by year...

P.S this just popped up on a search or something .....

well on a positive note a new track just opened near me, thats a good sign.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:32 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

natural life progression i guess.radio shack, to nikko, to tyco, to kyosho, and then 6 other cars.
mixed with the simultaneous lifeprogression of building with lego's, to building model cars, to building model cars with hydraulics, to building/racing slot cars. then 1997 hit and i was getting a little burned out on that stuff and i had to build something. i had known about hobby grade RC sense about 92 - 93. so here i am.
the need to build.i guess that's why im here
Old 08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
McWolf_101

It began on the Christmas of 1990 when my father gave 2 remote controlled cars, the ones where the remote is attached to the car, to my brother and I as gifts. Between 1991 and 1999, my father (deceased since 1994), my mother and myself purchased a number of 1/18 scale Nikko RC vehicles. After an RC-less hiatus of a little more than a decade, albeit a hiatus where my interest never waned and I was involved somewhat with both toy-grade and hobby-grade RC, one of my friends purchased a 1/10 scale nitro truck on the Christmas of 2009. It was then that I decided that I would not let anything hinder my getting started in hobby-grade RC any longer, and I purchased a 1/8 scale nitro buggy. The great thing is that my girlfriend shares my interest in RC, so my getting back into RC is actually a shared experience.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:13 PM
bloodpuppy

Always been interested myself, but i never knew anything more then the cheap toy store cars and they are boring, One day i met up with a friend of mine who i havent seen in years and while i was visiting him i seen his car, and asked what the f#^* is that.
After racing down the street at 40Mph a few times i bought my first car the following week.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:11 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I had a friend in 9th grade that had one (I think it was a old, well new at that time, associated stadium truck).  After that I got a Duratrax Maximum ST.  I was out of it for a while, but i got back into it when I traded some car audio stuff for a slew of RC stuff (e-maxx, pan car, and 1/8 GS Buggy).  I have probably had around 130 different rcs in my house since then (done lots of trading).  But now i am down to just a few.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Willystylz

As a kid, my Dad was a Regional Mgr for Radio Shack and every Christmas I seemed to get a new remote control toy. The closest thing I had to hobby grade as a kid was the Radio Shack Red Arrow with the Mabuchi 540-S. My brother at the same time had the Golden Arrow that had the Johnson silver can in it. Running on 1200mah NiCd 7.2V sticks those things seemed stupidly fast at the time. I remember my brother even upgraded his to some sort of a Trinity stock motor which boosted the speed even more.

I remember flipping through R/C Car Action mags and drooling over some of the hobby grade vehicles in there like the Blackfoot, Clodbuster, etc etc.

I also had electric HO scale train sets and AFX slot car tracks for many years during my childhood, which in a sense ties in with electric R/C's.

Then during my teen years I don't even thinked I touched or let alone owned an R/C. This all came to an end about 4 yrs ago when my bro and his buddy both bought HPI Savages. I was envious and I guess had a craving for an on-road and ordered an HPI Sprint 2. I loved that car and was hooked into hobby-grade R/C's ever since.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 PM
mubus

ooo heres how i get into the hobby...
it all started not so long ago when i was a world of warcraft nerd (for those who know the game its pretty addicting). one day when i showed my parents my report card i got a serious beat down... see if you can guess why. i was told to stop playing games and do something "educational" so i did. i went on google in search of a good hobby and i found 3 that i liked, Pellet gunz (lol to dangerous & need a license), off road biking (with those expensive mountain bikes, but i was like nah i'll get to sweaty and its hot, and no i'm not fat for those who are wondering) -_-... then comes rc (yay perfect hobby)... so i guess this is what got me started... bad grades > parents banning me from the computer [:@] > and google!
now in the past couple of months i got gotten 3 rcs with my own money that i make from my job and one of which is a 1/5 scale
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 AM
s7jstep1

my first somewhat real rc was a radioshack lightning. it went about 10-15mph. i ran that thing so much and eventually i found myself wanting more. little did i know, my brother used to be into rc. he died in 1994 when i was 4 years old and was too little to have an interest. i still have his gold pan rc10 and someday i plan on restoring it
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
DeltaOP

What got me into hobby grade RC?

Because toy grade RC was crap!

First ever "hobby grade" was a Tamiya Hornet kit in 1987.

Then I got an Associated Electric RC10 in early 1988 while I was in the Army in Germany (got one sent from Tower Hobbies). Also got a Kyosho Ultima that same year.

[link]http://www.vintagercweb.com/ultima.html[/link]

Raced some RC12's in 1989 and 1990.

Did not do much in the mid to late-90's but got back into it more in the early 2000's.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Willystylz

ORIGINAL: mubus

ooo heres how i get into the hobby...
it all started not so long ago when i was a world of warcraft nerd (for those who know the game its pretty addicting). one day when i showed my parents my report card i got a serious beat down... see if you can guess why. i was told to stop playing games and do something ''educational'' so i did. i went on google in search of a good hobby and i found 3 that i liked, Pellet gunz (lol to dangerous & need a license), off road biking (with those expensive mountain bikes, but i was like nah i'll get to sweaty and its hot, and no i'm not fat for those who are wondering) -_-... then comes rc (yay perfect hobby)... so i guess this is what got me started... bad grades > parents banning me from the computer [:@] > and google!
now in the past couple of months i got gotten 3 rcs with my own money that i make from my job and one of which is a 1/5 scale

Awesome man! Video games are great and all, but I'd attest to the thought that RC's are even better.

Kinda like playing the real-life version of Ivan Stewart's Off-Road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.