Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Megae MT10 Safety Issue - Fire

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Chizzler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megae MT10 Safety Issue - Fire

This may extend to other Himoto models and other manufacturer models that use the same ESC, which is a Lansu LS-4150-D.

Tonight, while sitting in my living room, Iheard my MT10 start up and hit the floor running. It actually jumped off of a toy box, hit the ground on its wheels and was full throttle into a book case. It then flipped and was laying upside down on it's top with the wheels turning at full throttle. When I got there, Icould smell something burning. As Ipicked the truck up, the ESC was on fire. The inside was cherry red and it was beginning to melt. I rushed it into the kitchen, hit the water in the kitchen faucet and drenched the ESC. While Iwas doing this, I was able to pull the body clips and take the body off and disconnect the battery.

The real safety issue here that If Ihadn't been in the other room, I might not have heard what happened. Worst case scenario, is that this happened and we didn't get to it right away and it starts a fire in my house while we are upstairs sleeping.

I purchased the truck just before Christmas as a present for my son. It's really been nothing but trouble. Before it got wrapped as a present, Igave it a test run in the garage. It drove for 2 minutes before the original ESC crapped out. TheESC that burnt tonightwasa replacement for the original. After getting theESC fixed, the receiver quit working. I'mon my 2nd receiver. Then, just after the receiver got replaced, the steering servo quit working.I'm on my 2nd steering servo. All of those things happened before we even hada chance to charge the battery for the 2nd time. It was not run outside until recently.

All of themechanical problem frustrationspale in comparison to the fact that this thingcould have burnt my house down.

Details about tonights event:The battery was in the truck and connected and had a decent charge. It was runtoday inside the house for a little while (approximately 3 hours prior to catching on fire) then put away. Theswitch was off. The transmitter was off.The only modifications to the truck were deans style connectors to the esc and the battery. The connecters were installed following the proper instructions (soldered and heat shrinked). Other than that, it's stock.

What I've learnt for now is that Iwill never store (for any period of time) a RC vehicle again with the battery connected.

What a scare.What a relief. What a huge disappointment in this truck.

-Chizz

Old 02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Megae MT10 Safety Issue - Fire

only thing i can say is that its pretty much impossible for the esc to activate if the switch was off. 
Old 02-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Chizzler

When the switch is on and the transmitter is off, the ESC beeps. It was not beeping between the time it was turned off and the time of the event. The switch was one of the first things I checked after things cooled down. It was in the off position. Being familiar with electronics, it is possible for the switch mechanism to be off, but the contactors are still closed in (faulty switch mechanics). Ihave not confirmedthis though and like I said, Idid not hear the ESC beeping.

Even if theswitch were in the on position,Ican't imagineitwould lead to this outcome.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 PM
ehroof

Since you say you soldered a deans connector on it, its very possible there was/is a short in the plug, if switch was on or faulty and the transmitter was off wouldnt you hear the beeping?  I would like for you to send me the esc for testing, this is the first i have heard of any issue like this and we have sold thousands of these esc's worldwide. 
Old 02-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Chizzler

I think it's funny thatyou are jumping to the deans connector as a cause since it's a modification from original and it's something to be used as a scapegoat.

My past experience with this truck is that with the switch on and the transmitter off, the ESCbeeps. When the truck was shut off earlier, it did as it normally does. We turn off the transmitter. The ESC starts beeping. Then we turn off the switch to the truck. Then we set it on the toy box lid.

There's absolutely no reason to think the deans connector caused this problem. What kind of testing do you think you are going toperformon a chared piece of metal and plasitc? I'm not wasting my time any longer on this truck. I'm already out the purchase price, the pricing to ship a transmitter and receiver back, my personal time jacking around with this truck and the price of another steering servo to upgrade the POS that came in it. All I've done is wait for parts for this thing. This week was the first week we've actually been able to drive the truck.We just got the new steering servo Thursday night.

I'm not wasting any more time on this truck and I don't want anything else from himoto.

The reason for the post is to raise awareness to a potential safety issue. Weather it's the ESC, the wiring, the deans connector, the battery or what. I've explained what happened. I do not know what caused it. We went through the normal shutdown after running the truck. Nothing was out of the ordinary. 3 hrs later, the truck took off on it's own and the ESC was literally on fire.

-Chizz

Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 PM
ehroof

I am not "jumping" at anything, just stating that its very possible that a short occurred and a battery connector that is changed is a possibility but if the switch is off it still shouldnt effect the esc unless somehow it sorted the switch then shorted the esc.  
Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Chizzler

It sounded like jumping to me. Regardless, Iagree that it could have been the battery connection. I also think it could have been a short in the switch, or the ESC, or the wiring, or anything component getting battery voltage. To your point, I'm not ruling out the deans connector. To my point, everything else is also suspect.

-Chizz
Old 02-06-2010, 10:29 PM
5lagd

Not to point any fingers, but, is it not common place for any r/c to be stored with the battery disconnected? I have owned quite a few electric r/c's (around 8) in the past few years and most manuals say to disconnect the battery when not using the car. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:14 AM
genitor

I don't think that you should give up on the truck just because the electronics failed you. User error was definitely involved as the battery was left connected and standard procedure is to disconnect it when not in use whether the switch is off or on. However, other factors were obviously involved also, not sure what those were.

I have the mt10 and never had any problem with the stock elecs. except a stripped servo which is not uncommon with plastic geared servos.
I no longer run the stock elecs. but i do use the esc frequenly in another rc with no issues.

It is not uncommon for rtr's to have lower quality elecs. either. Most people expect this and usually upgrade them.
So give the mt10 another chance, just get some better elecs. and have some fun.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:06 AM
image079

Have you noticed other wierd things happening at your house lately[X(]......
Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 AM
cenracer1

Chizzler.. another thing you mentioned that you do that is also not correct is your shut off procedure.. And I suspect your startup procedure.. Anytime you run an electric r/c vehicle.. follow this procedure..
1. make sure the radio is off and the esc switch is off
2. Turn on Transmitter
3. connect the battery
4. turn on the esc..(on/off switch on car)
5. wait for conformation beeps...
6. run car

shutoff procedure if you follow this procedure you will not have issues..
1. switch off (on/off) switch on car
2. disconnect battery from car
3. turn off the radio...

You mentioned you turn off the radio first...
Old 02-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Redharris

Never,,,Ever, leave your Battery connected to your car when it is unattended......

Let me say it Again!!!!

Always,,,ALWAYS disconnect the Battery from the ESC when you are done with the car.

The ESC will draw current from the Battery even when it is Switched OFF.
If you have a Lipo, the ESC will eventually drain the battery all the way, and we all know that will cause the battery to possibly catch on fire.
This is a little Known FACT that is becomming better Known as RC cars burn to the Ground.....[:@]

Even if you are not running a Lipo,,,,,the ESC is STILL drawing current from your Nihm battery and can get Hot,,,,eventually,,,as you found out.

P.S.
I Like Cenracers Start up/ Shut Down procedure.....
The only thing I would add,,,is to charge your Batteries a bit before you yank them from the car for storage.
This is especially True for Lipos.

P.P.S.
I think ANY ESC may have done what yours did......under the circumstances.