Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

The revolutionary VXI suspension system!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The revolutionary VXI suspension system!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Snook Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The revolutionary VXI suspension system!

An application for a provisional patent is only good for 1 year from the day of filing. That gives you 1 year from the date of the application for the provisional patent to file for the actual Non provisional patent. If you fail to apply for the non provisional patent in that 1 year time frame you no longer have any protection what so ever. It is now public knowledge and fair game for anyone.

Trust me...I've been there, done that.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM
The Hedgehog

Yeah just as the others have stated, you want the camber to change for proper cornering, along with a tunable ackerman, bump steer, and changeable camber
Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone mentioned rock crawlers......it could at least be very good for that. Whole thing reminds me of one of those scissor lifts that painters, electricians, etc. use.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offence to the creator, you have been very imaginative, but l see many flaws, the first being with its name, revolutionary, theres nothing revolutionary about it, the revo has more wheel displacement by a country mile, a top of the  line rock crawler can pivot the entire front/rear end, so its out classed for rockcrawling, it is bulky, and has many parts alligned in a way that any damage would mess up the whole works, it lacks flex, if its rebuilt in plastic for flex, it becomes all mushy having to many joints.
Its heavy in comparison to most RC cars trucks or buggies, and has far to many parts, joints, and the steering is extreemly vulnerable, that vertical shaft that is also a CV like joint, is going to get dirt in it and will also bend under very small impacts.
All the extra steering components will mean more steering slop faster.
It looks like it lacks caster adjust, that front end should be castored like a HPI baja.

And whats the point of having a collapsable double arm system that can move less overall distance than a revo and around about the same distance as a current 1/8th buggy ?
Had you targeted traxxas's revo [1/10th scale ]  design and made one better, you would probably become pretty rich.

To be frank, it looks like a NASA design. Slow and cumbersome.

Nothing personal, but l think you need to keep an open mind if your planning to invest alot of money into this project, l would re-design the whole thing to have as few parts as possible.
And l personally believe a better system will look more sexy than the revo system, just as the revo system was more sexy than the old tower set up when it was released.
Its neat, [ revo ] looks wikid and works better than the tower set up, that is what you should be aiming to beat for it to truelly be ''revolutionary''.

Check out some formula one cars for inspiration, they have had some incredible systems over the years.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: piddlefoot

No offence to the creator, you have been very imaginative, but l see many flaws, the first being with its name, revolutionary, theres nothing revolutionary about it, the revo has more wheel displacement by a country mile, a top of the line rock crawler can pivot the entire front/rear end, so its out classed for rockcrawling, it is bulky, and has many parts alligned in a way that any damage would mess up the whole works, it lacks flex, if its rebuilt in plastic for flex, it becomes all mushy having to many joints.
Its heavy in comparison to most RC cars trucks or buggies, and has far to many parts, joints, and the steering is extreemly vulnerable, that vertical shaft that is also a CV like joint, is going to get dirt in it and will also bend under very small impacts.
All the extra steering components will mean more steering slop faster.
It looks like it lacks caster adjust, that front end should be castored like a HPI baja.

And whats the point of having a collapsable double arm system that can move less overall distance than a revo and around about the same distance as a current 1/8th buggy ?
Had you targeted traxxas's revo [1/10th scale ] design and made one better, you would probably become pretty rich.

To be frank, it looks like a NASA design. Slow and cumbersome.

Nothing personal, but l think you need to keep an open mind if your planning to invest alot of money into this project, l would re-design the whole thing to have as few parts as possible.
And l personally believe a better system will look more sexy than the revo system, just as the revo system was more sexy than the old tower set up when it was released.
Its neat, [ revo ] looks wikid and works better than the tower set up, that is what you should be aiming to beat for it to truelly be ''revolutionary''.

Check out some formula one cars for inspiration, they have had some incredible systems over the years.
Um, piddlefoot, this has nothing to do with the Revo. The Revo's track changes with suspension compression and extension. This system does not. Is there practical application for OP's system? That has yet to be seen...is it complex? Yes. Just like all systems in their infancy, it's absurdly complex.

You need to open that box and think outside of it, and be able to appreciate a well thought-out design before you try to poke holes in it.

Also, it's spelled CASTER, not CASTOR.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 PM
flacksaw

What you have pictured there is essentially a SLA or double wishbone suspension. Not exactly news to me. As I've stated the VXI has several advantages, namely:

1NO track change. On the SLA setup the track will always change upon compression/decompression. The wheels WILL scrub in and out. That leads to reduced vehicle stability AND more tire wear.
2Camber change will always set in and that CAN be good but in an SLA it happens in a way that isn't always good. In the VXI forthcoming prototypes will have a "camber-changing link" that will push/pull the wheel into positive and negative camber exactly as desired and in a fully controllable manner. As a matter of fact the camber can be made "active" where when the steering wheel is turned left or right you will get camber change but when pointed straight ahead you will not. In other words, even though this first prototype has no camber change gen 2 will be able to set it EXACTLY as you'd desire. The problem with the SLA is that as it compresses the camber gets more positive, the opposite of the ideal. As the SLA drops to the bottom of its travel its camber gets more negative, again the opposite of what you'd want. Believe me, I've spent a lot of time thinking about this.
3Bump steer is NEVER good, sorry. For ultimate control you'd eliminate it completely. Most cars are setup with trailing rather than leading steering arms because this causes understeer and not oversteer which is the safer way to go. It's still far from desirable.

That's not to mention the many other advantages including moving the suspension pivot points as far outboard as possible which aids vehicle stability greatly. Instead of articulating around a narrow set of pivot points the VXI moves those points as far out as possible. Bingo....

No offense guys but RacecarEngineering magazine seems pretty stoked on the concept, I think if it was no big deal they wouldn't be as excited about it as they are.

And lastly, the Provisional expired Feb 27th, we filed the official patent the day prior. If anybody wants to try to steal my invention they will get the pants sued off of them, I promise you.

Yes, the VXI would be ideal for a rock-crawler or a rally car or for that matter a LeMans racer. Everybody suspension engineer wants no wheel scrub, fully controllable camber-change AND no bump steer. The VXI will never be the cheapest suspension but it will be the best and if you want the best it's going to cost you more. That much is always true.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

err I really want to see a video that shows this working...
one huge disadvantage I see with it though is its limited to RWD only.
Most (if not all) rock crawlers are 4wd. How you will over come that is a mystery to me seeing the drive shafts would be completely exposed
Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 PM
flacksaw

I'll get some video of the 2nd and 3rd prototypes. The first try has too much binding in the steering mechanism that I'll be fixing on the next two tries which I'm building concurrently. I'm going to make one Baja 1000 style high-travel rig and one LeMans style track racer, I want to show how flexible the design is. So stay tuned, videos are coming.

Additionally both of the next gen rigs will be 4wd and use pretty much identical setups front and rear. The VXI can be used in a FWD rig, a RWD rig and a 4WD rig. There's no reason the drive-shaft can't be run in front of, behind or in-between the suspension arms.

Also...Ackerman steering will be no different than any other steering mechanism. My first shot at the steering was admittedly pretty crude. In fact the entire 1st prototype is pretty crude in general but that's to be expected. Try to remember I was just making this thing "on the fly" and a lot of it got invented as I went along. The next gen will be a huge leap and I'm sure the generation after that will be another huge leap....that's how this type of thing goes. That's also why scale-models are the perfect venue for developing the suspension, you can make huge changes between generations w/o spending a mint. I'd expect that before anybody puts this on an actual production vehicle that we'll have done around 10+ generations of development.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

You seem awful confident about this just because some magazine is supposedly going to publish it.

Im not saying it couldnt work, but to say its going to be the best suspension ever made when you havent even really tried it other than on an r/c truck??? Sorry, but that is putting the cart before the horse.

It looks to me like there is going to be durability issues, and also looks like it has lots of potential for steering slop to develop quickly. Its also going to be darn heavy on a real vehicle, which is a major disadvantage for ANY high performance vehicle.

Eric
Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no offence, but I don't think this is a million dollar idea or revolutionary....
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 PM
flacksaw

OK, hope you don't mind if I continue to develop it though....

The reason it's revolutionary is simple...it's the first suspension ever developed where the wheel does not move in an arc, it moves in a perfect plane. If you're unable to see why that's a big deal then I suggest you study up on suspensions. I was just sharing my invention for your interest. I've had some pretty experienced and knowledgeable people tell me that this is the "holy grail" of suspension designs. It really does approach the theoretical ideal for the first time. I'm sure of all those things and obviously, yes a lot of things need to be ironed out obviously but the VXI uses standard links and bushings just like any other suspension. You'll have to forgive me for disregarding the nay-sayers but I plan to develop and push this design until it's been put into production.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: flacksaw

The reason it's revolutionary is simple...it's the first suspension ever developed where the wheel does not move in an arc
Hmm, isnt that what a solid axle suspension does? No arc there. I have 2 of them on my 1:1 truck. Sometimes you can make things work better, but the design is so big and complex that it offsets most of the gains. I guess a full production model of this would be the best way to know for sure, but im skeptical to say the least.

Eric
Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 AM
supafastsupra2

I enjoy the out-of-the-box thinking, but I do not see this providing any real world advantage over any of the currently used suspension geometries used in our little r/c cars. My advice is K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, stupid [8D] )
Old 03-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are after the kind of travel you can get from a solid axle in a crawler, that's cool and all, but it will be unlikely to ever be superior to a solid axle for rock crawling.

There are several reasons why a solid axle is preferred for rock crawling, all of them reason's why independent suspension can't match the performance of a solid axle on the rocks.

A solid axle's ground clearance never changes, ever. If you have tires that are 6 inches tall, the center line from wheel to wheel is 3 inches above the ground. If your tires stay close to 6 inches in diameter at all times, the distance between the center line of the tires to the ground is still going to remain at close to 3 inches no matter what either tire does. Subtract a little bit for the diameter of the axle tubes and diff pumpkin, but you still get that ground clearance no matter what, at all times, no matter what either wheel does. If 1 tire goes up on a rock, your ground clearance is still the same, the diff pumpkin does not get any higher or lower from the tire's center, it stays exactly the same.

Here is the #1 reason why independent suspension does not work well for crawling and is much better for go-fast performance. With independent suspension, each wheel/tire can travel up or down independently of the other (obviously). Now let's use a Maxx suspension as an example here, since they have a diff pumpkin in between two bulkheads. As a Maxx approaches a rock in the path of 1 of its tires, assuming it is setup in the following manner, the diff pumpkin is above the center line of the tires, which from a ground clearance only standpoint, is great. But then 1 of the Maxx's tires reaches the rock, and that tire travels up the rock, peaks at the top, and travels down the rock, and the following rear tire does the same thing. Now what happens as the tire of an independent suspension vehicle travels over an object? Several things.
1. The truck slightly pitches as the springs on the suspension arms of that wheel compress as the wheel/tire travel up onto the object.
2. The tire that was once below the diff pumpkin rose up above the diff pumpkin, putting the center line of the wheels at different heights.
3. The tire then drops back down from the object as the truck continues forward and the wheels' center lines are once again even and below the diff pumpkin.
But here is the kicker... If you pause the truck's movement right as the tire was on the very peak of the object, then remove the object, and keeping the suspension of that particular wheel compressed, you place that tire back onto the ground, the center clearance is instantly extremely low as the diff pumpkin is now very close to the ground and the truck most likely pitched at a steep angle. Why? Because that particular wheel was allowed to move separately from the other, thus moving it's center line much higher than the other. Since the diff pumpkin follows for only a very short distance, you literally lower your center clearance instantly because the diff pumpkin can not stay between the center line of the wheels. In order to maintain the same ground clearance throughout a suspension stroke, the diff pumpkin must follow, and the only way to achieve this is via a solid axle where either wheel cannot deviate from the center line of the other. Which is why a solid axle will pretty much always be superior to independent suspension when it comes to rock crawling.

Now as far as a performance aspect goes, for go-fast kind of stuff, this setup is also undesirable.

Independent suspension is designed to have camber changes throughout the suspension stroke. It's what keeps the tire's contact patch in contact with the ground instead of moving the contact patch onto the sidewall, which is extremely undesirable and results in poor handling and many times a loss of control. Eliminating camber change throughout the suspension stroke completely defeats the purpose of independent suspension, basically making it worse for rock crawling than typical independent suspension. (Now as you know, a solid axle does not perform well, especially in the front of a vehicle, at high speeds in rough terrain and even on flat terrain. There are a few reasons for this, one of them being that the axle will not allow the wheels to deviate from the center lines of each other, resulting in excessive body roll and a considerable loss in traction because of the body roll ((lots of weight transfer from high amounts of body roll means loss of lots of traction)), and the other reason being the high amount of un-sprung weight which creates several poor handling characteristics. ) Allowing the camber change in independent suspension allows each wheel to maintain a much better contact patch, thus maintain traction. Another desirable thing about typical independent suspension is that throughout the stroke other variables besides camber can change and those variables can be tuned to change at certain points and certain amounts during the suspension stroke. Bump-steer (also known as a toe angle change throughout the suspension stroke), while often cursed as being a problem, is often times a very useful tuning variable and can greatly affect handling in corners. The change in track width is not something to worry about unless you have a suspension setup that allows for ridiculous amounts of travel and has massive changes in track width throughout the arc, and such a suspension would provide very poor performance in the first place. And scrubbing speed from track width changes would most likely be minimal and negligible at the most. You don't seem F1 cars running a suspension like this because track width changes throughout the suspension stroke do not scrub enough speed to even be noticed, and even in RC I feel this also holds true, it's so minimal that it probably would be hard to even record data of the amount of speed that gets scrubbed. Ackerman on the other hand does have a great effect on how much speed is scrubbed from a vehicle in a corner, as the inside and outside wheel travel through different paths, but as the suspension compresses, Ackerman changes, which is considered bump steer, which can be tuned and very useful.

To be honest, I think your setup is completely useless for almost all vehicles unless they don't do anything but go in straight lines (as in drag cars). And until it can be made MUCH smaller, the weight gain would do more harm to a drag car than it could gain from this suspension, and a majority of drag cars (top fuel, funny cars, etc.) don't have much of a front suspension at all really.

Kind of useless to argue about it anyway also, even though I just typed a huge post. It's obvious that this really has no benefits over typical independent suspension setups except for use in drag cars. There is a reason why an old design sticks around for a very very long time and even continues to perform better and better based off that old design... Because it's tried, its trued, and its been proven over and over again. When you consider the performance of an RC car compared to real cars, its simply amazing that they can do scale speeds of 350+ MPH (real life speed of 35 MPH) and take tight corners at scale speeds upwards of 150+ MPH (real life speed of 15 MPH). While the real life speeds may seem slow, for an RC to have that kind of performance really is pretty damn amazing when you sit back and think about it for a while. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". In this case, that is 100% true. Do something revolutionary with a typical independent suspension setup to make it handle even better than the RC's of today, then we can talk about truly benefiting the hobby.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

OK, hope you don't mind if I continue to develop it though....

The reason it's revolutionary is simple...it's the first suspension ever developed where the wheel does not move in an arc, it moves in a perfect plane. If you're unable to see why that's a big deal then I suggest you study up on suspensions. I was just sharing my invention for your interest. I've had some pretty experienced and knowledgeable people tell me that this is the ''holy grail'' of suspension designs. It really does approach the theoretical ideal for the first time. I'm sure of all those things and obviously, yes a lot of things need to be ironed out obviously but the VXI uses standard links and bushings just like any other suspension. You'll have to forgive me for disregarding the nay-sayers but I plan to develop and push this design until it's been put into production.
ACTUALLY

Hate to be a buzzkill, but the Vector W8 beat you to it.
Just sayin'
Old 03-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Access

And lastly, the Provisional expired Feb 27th, we filed the official patent the day prior. If anybody wants to try to steal my invention they will get the pants sued off of them, I promise you.
That only works until it gets stolen by someone in some foreign country like China that only respects US/international intellectual property laws when it suits their own interests. And then even if you can keep it from being sold in the US, people here in the US can re-import it through Hong Kong websites that ship internationally. Honestly we live in an international world today and IP laws are a real mess when it comes to trying to get any kind of enforcement in the world as a whole.

People like me need to see video before something is real. Show a video of how this outperforms a standard suspension, etc.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont really care if it works or if it wont, But good for you on trying. Dont let these negative nancy's get you down, Everybody who invented something met with lots of nay sayer's.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:53 AM
flacksaw

Live axles? Really? You don't think they operate on an arc? That only happens when BOTH wheels encounter the same bump at the same time. Otherwise that "dependent" setup has horrible characteristics all around, you name it and it's bad. That goes for rock-crawling too where independent suspensions have always had better ground clearance than live-axles but haven't had the wheel-travel (aka "articulation"), until now that is. The VXI gives you all that wheel-travel AND no track change. Really, go ahead and fully articulate your live-axle, measure the "track width" at rest, then measure it when articulated. It'll wind up being 1/3 to 1/4 what it is at rest.

The Vector W8? Yeah, a real technical marvel....it had a double wishbone front and a DeDion tube rear. Dedion tubes are just a glorified live axle. And that "some magazine" is the most widely respected technical publication on race car chassis and suspension engineering in the world my friends.

Yes, the nay-sayers always show up to comment on things that are new and say that they won't work, it's inevitable. Pessimism will get you nowhere in life. If you want to get ahead you need to break out of your mental box and create things that are truly visionary, that's what I've done with the VXI. A few negative-Nelly's are not going to cause my confidence to falter, don't worry. I know what I've got and I've studied up enough to know it well.

I'd also suggest that those of you posting here please take the time to read the entire thread before you post.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Krawlin

Live axles? Really? You don't think they operate on an arc? That only happens when BOTH wheels encounter the same bump at the same time. Otherwise that ''dependent'' setup has horrible characteristics all around, you name it and it's bad. That goes for rock-crawling too where independent suspensions have always had better ground clearance than live-axles but haven't had the wheel-travel (aka ''articulation''), until now that is. The VXI gives you all that wheel-travel AND no track change. Really, go ahead and fully articulate your live-axle, measure the ''track width'' at rest, then measure it when articulated. It'll wind up being 1/3 to 1/4 what it is at rest.

You obviously didn't read my post and you obviously do not understand how a solid axle works in the crawling world.

If your wheels deviate from the center line of each other, you loose ground clearance. The one and only way to maintain the same ground clearance 100% of the time is to have a solid axle, where the diff pumpkin stays in 1 place between the wheels at all times like it does with a solid axle. Its extremely simple physics. It's the exact reason why independent suspension sucks for rock crawling, because it cannot maintain the same ground clearance at all times.

There is a reason why solid axles have been the #1 choice for full size crawling and RC crawling since day 1. That same reason is why independent suspension will never match the performance of a solid axle in a rock crawling situation, because it just can't, it is not physically possible to maintain the same center clearance if each wheel can move independently of the other.

You may have designed what you call revolutionary, but its very, very pointless to argue with someone who has more experience and obvious knowledge of the physics.

Here is my post again so you can re-read it and hopefully understand it.

ORIGINAL: Krawlin

If you are after the kind of travel you can get from a solid axle in a crawler, that's cool and all, but it will be unlikely to ever be superior to a solid axle for rock crawling.

There are several reasons why a solid axle is preferred for rock crawling, all of them reason's why independent suspension can't match the performance of a solid axle on the rocks.

A solid axle's ground clearance never changes, ever. If you have tires that are 6 inches tall, the center line from wheel to wheel is 3 inches above the ground. If your tires stay close to 6 inches in diameter at all times, the distance between the center line of the tires to the ground is still going to remain at close to 3 inches no matter what either tire does. Subtract a little bit for the diameter of the axle tubes and diff pumpkin, but you still get that ground clearance no matter what, at all times, no matter what either wheel does. If 1 tire goes up on a rock, your ground clearance is still the same, the diff pumpkin does not get any higher or lower from the tire's center, it stays exactly the same.

Here is the #1 reason why independent suspension does not work well for crawling and is much better for go-fast performance. With independent suspension, each wheel/tire can travel up or down independently of the other (obviously). Now let's use a Maxx suspension as an example here, since they have a diff pumpkin in between two bulkheads. As a Maxx approaches a rock in the path of 1 of its tires, assuming it is setup in the following manner, the diff pumpkin is above the center line of the tires, which from a ground clearance only standpoint, is great. But then 1 of the Maxx's tires reaches the rock, and that tire travels up the rock, peaks at the top, and travels down the rock, and the following rear tire does the same thing. Now what happens as the tire of an independent suspension vehicle travels over an object? Several things.
1. The truck slightly pitches as the springs on the suspension arms of that wheel compress as the wheel/tire travel up onto the object.
2. The tire that was once below the diff pumpkin rose up above the diff pumpkin, putting the center line of the wheels at different heights.
3. The tire then drops back down from the object as the truck continues forward and the wheels' center lines are once again even and below the diff pumpkin.
But here is the kicker... If you pause the truck's movement right as the tire was on the very peak of the object, then remove the object, and keeping the suspension of that particular wheel compressed, you place that tire back onto the ground, the center clearance is instantly extremely low as the diff pumpkin is now very close to the ground and the truck most likely pitched at a steep angle. Why? Because that particular wheel was allowed to move separately from the other, thus moving it's center line much higher than the other. Since the diff pumpkin follows for only a very short distance, you literally lower your center clearance instantly because the diff pumpkin can not stay between the center line of the wheels. In order to maintain the same ground clearance throughout a suspension stroke, the diff pumpkin must follow, and the only way to achieve this is via a solid axle where either wheel cannot deviate from the center line of the other. Which is why a solid axle will pretty much always be superior to independent suspension when it comes to rock crawling.

Now as far as a performance aspect goes, for go-fast kind of stuff, this setup is also undesirable.

Independent suspension is designed to have camber changes throughout the suspension stroke. It's what keeps the tire's contact patch in contact with the ground instead of moving the contact patch onto the sidewall, which is extremely undesirable and results in poor handling and many times a loss of control. Eliminating camber change throughout the suspension stroke completely defeats the purpose of independent suspension, basically making it worse for rock crawling than typical independent suspension. (Now as you know, a solid axle does not perform well, especially in the front of a vehicle, at high speeds in rough terrain and even on flat terrain. There are a few reasons for this, one of them being that the axle will not allow the wheels to deviate from the center lines of each other, resulting in excessive body roll and a considerable loss in traction because of the body roll ((lots of weight transfer from high amounts of body roll means loss of lots of traction)), and the other reason being the high amount of un-sprung weight which creates several poor handling characteristics. ) Allowing the camber change in independent suspension allows each wheel to maintain a much better contact patch, thus maintain traction. Another desirable thing about typical independent suspension is that throughout the stroke other variables besides camber can change and those variables can be tuned to change at certain points and certain amounts during the suspension stroke. Bump-steer (also known as a toe angle change throughout the suspension stroke), while often cursed as being a problem, is often times a very useful tuning variable and can greatly affect handling in corners. The change in track width is not something to worry about unless you have a suspension setup that allows for ridiculous amounts of travel and has massive changes in track width throughout the arc, and such a suspension would provide very poor performance in the first place. And scrubbing speed from track width changes would most likely be minimal and negligible at the most. You don't seem F1 cars running a suspension like this because track width changes throughout the suspension stroke do not scrub enough speed to even be noticed, and even in RC I feel this also holds true, it's so minimal that it probably would be hard to even record data of the amount of speed that gets scrubbed. Ackerman on the other hand does have a great effect on how much speed is scrubbed from a vehicle in a corner, as the inside and outside wheel travel through different paths, but as the suspension compresses, Ackerman changes, which is considered bump steer, which can be tuned and very useful.

To be honest, I think your setup is completely useless for almost all vehicles unless they don't do anything but go in straight lines (as in drag cars). And until it can be made MUCH smaller, the weight gain would do more harm to a drag car than it could gain from this suspension, and a majority of drag cars (top fuel, funny cars, etc.) don't have much of a front suspension at all really.

Kind of useless to argue about it anyway also, even though I just typed a huge post. It's obvious that this really has no benefits over typical independent suspension setups except for use in drag cars. There is a reason why an old design sticks around for a very very long time and even continues to perform better and better based off that old design... Because it's tried, its trued, and its been proven over and over again. When you consider the performance of an RC car compared to real cars, its simply amazing that they can do scale speeds of 350+ MPH (real life speed of 35 MPH) and take tight corners at scale speeds upwards of 150+ MPH (real life speed of 15 MPH). While the real life speeds may seem slow, for an RC to have that kind of performance really is pretty damn amazing when you sit back and think about it for a while. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". In this case, that is 100% true. Do something revolutionary with a typical independent suspension setup to make it handle even better than the RC's of today, then we can talk about truly benefiting the hobby.
EDIT: And another thing, you say you have to have some kind of weird special links to make your setup have camber change throughout the suspension stroke, yet typical independent suspension needs no special hardware to do that. Face it, your design is bulky, weak, overly complicated, and useless in almost everything but a drag car. While it may be cool, it just is not practical. Why reinvent the wheel if it doesn't need to be reinvented and could just be improved upon? You are basically making something like a square wheel here. It just wont work well for an RC and most real world applications.

EDIT EDIT: My main suggestion would be to scrap this and take on something that could benefit from some improvements in the RC world, shock absorbers. What we use are relatively primitive shocks from an engineering standpoint when compared to the nitrogen shocks used in the full size offroad world. Design a revolutionary RC shock, you would make alot more money from something like that.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:25 PM
flacksaw

Oh, I read it alright, we just disagree I guess. You're stuck in the old-school "nothing new is better" and "I hate change" frame of mind. Change is inevitable, progress is inevitable and the VXI represents both change and progress.

Live-axles are the worst. The only advantages live axles have is that they're simple and cheap. The VXI will be winning rock-crawling and rock-racing events within 10 years, I promise you. Only then will the live-axle zealots like you be made to believe. I know where you're coming from and I've seen it plenty already but I don't think like you do, obviously. Fortunately your opinions are not going to stop me or the VXI from going forward and changing suspension design forever.

I could give you the laundry list of horrible characteristics inherent in a live-axle but you wouldn't believe me anyway, so why bother? Now, off to your "I hate progress and change" convention.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:25 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

It seems strange that all of your post are in this one thread alone (sort of seems like you are only on here to advertise your product).  I would do less "selling" and try to get someone to actually test and provide feedback.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Krawlin

Oh, I read it alright, we just disagree I guess. You're stuck in the old-school ''nothing new is better'' and ''I hate change'' frame of mind. Change is inevitable, progress is inevitable and the VXI represents both change and progress.

Live-axles are the worst. The only advantages live axles have is that they're simple and cheap. The VXI will be winning rock-crawling and rock-racing events within 10 years, I promise you. Only then will the live-axle zealots like you be made to believe. I know where you're coming from and I've seen it plenty already but I don't think like you do, obviously. Fortunately your opinions are not going to stop me or the VXI from going forward and changing suspension design forever.

I could give you the laundry list of horrible characteristics inherent in a live-axle but you wouldn't believe me anyway, so why bother? Now, off to your ''I hate progress and change'' convention.

You are extremely close minded and IMO somewhat idiotic to not understand how a solid axle is superior to independent suspension for crawling. With a solid axle, your ground clearance DOES NOT CHANGE! It cannot get lower than what it is set at. With independent suspension, it can change from zero inches to x amount of inches in ground clearance and it is in a constant state of change with independent suspension. If you ground clearance lowers on the rocks, you are screwed. You want the most possible at all times, no matter what. That is something independent suspension will never be able to achieve without ridiculously huge tires and small amounts of travel, which a solid axle would still be superior.

If you want to make something revolutionary then listen to what people with more experience say. Go talk to a physics professor about how a solid axle's clearance never changes and a independent suspension's clearance is in constant change, and they will tell you exactly which is better for rock crawling, and that is a solid axle.

Do you think that people use solid axles for crawling just for the hell of it? You must or you would understand what I am saying.

Newbs/n00bs with patents, just what we need.

EDIT: Why don't you make this setup in the rear so it's driven and then take it on a pile of rocks and get a video of how it performs. If you don't you are obviously afraid it will fail and won't be as revolutionary as you say it is and all of the nay-sayers will be right.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:50 PM
flacksaw

OK, you're right Krawlin...I give up, I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. Dude, I've been a rock-crawler for over 8 years now and am no "noob" as you claim. But then again, show me another rock crawler that can do what this guy has done with his independently suspended rock-crawler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_F7QrR4Ur8

Now THAT's some out of the box thinking.

That rig is set up with semi-trailing arms front and rear. It's pretty awesome, huh? Not a live axle to be found. You can see how a static track-width does wonders for the "Chainlink's" stability. The VXI can get just as much travel as this semi-trailing arm setup AND also never change the wheel base which is not the case with either a live-axle or this semi-trailing arm setup. Anyway, like I said I'm going to have to go ahead and develop the VXI despite your misgivings, OK?
Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Access

Live axles? Really? You don't think they operate on an arc? That only happens when BOTH wheels encounter the same bump at the same time. Otherwise that ''dependent'' setup has horrible characteristics all around, you name it and it's bad. That goes for rock-crawling too where independent suspensions have always had better ground clearance than live-axles but haven't had the wheel-travel (aka ''articulation''), until now that is. The VXI gives you all that wheel-travel AND no track change. Really, go ahead and fully articulate your live-axle, measure the ''track width'' at rest, then measure it when articulated. It'll wind up being 1/3 to 1/4 what it is at rest.
You are right that fixed axles do work in an arc, but not about the rest of the crawling stuff. Krawlin's posts summarize the primary reason fixed axles are advantageous for crawling.

A crawler is built in three pieces, two fixed axles and a body. I think your problem is you are thinking of a crawler the same way someone thinks of a classical vehicle - a body with four connected wheels. By thinking of a crawler as two fixed axles and a body, you understand that as the fixed axle 'rolls' (using aircraft terminology here, not sure of a better term) ground clearance is essentially constant or even improves b'cos the axle is its own rotating plane.

It's not about being positive or negative, anyone can respond to criticism as in "it's negativism therefore I'm going to ignore it". It's just about trying to be as objective as possible, realistic in the claims one makes and one does not make. Yes you've been right about some things (ie. bump steer) but not this. Online it naturally pays to be skeptical, there's thousands upon thousands of people with ideas out there and every one of them thinks or at least wants to convince others theirs is revolutionary or that it should be believed / followed / etc. People like me always want to see videos, want to see some kind of demonstrative evidence (and even vids are not irrefutable). If you think then you can use your concept to make a better crawler than the classical crawler, then demonstrate this with a video. Anyone can speak in theoretics but making something work in practice is another thing altogether.

Oh the vehicle in the video you posted is pretty cool, though.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Krawlin

That's old, I've seen it. The biggest difference is he has full hydraulic control over the trailing arms and he can raise the ground clearance if need be. Your setup cant unless you put a hydraulic system on it, and by design it would limit travel on your setup.

I've been around 4x4's all my life so I think I know what I am talking about.

And I don't see how you can achieve travel anywhere close to what that rig can. He is probably get 6 feet or more of travel, scale that down to 1/10th, that's 7.2 inches. And to be honest, that truck has a really high COG when fully articulated and would be quite tippy when fully articulated like it was a few times in the video. Cool? Very. Too much articulation? Yes.

I still say with the amounts of travel in a typical full size desert truck (Class 1, trophy truck, etc.), the typical independent suspension setups on those (Front double wishbone/A-arm/I-beam/J-arm/Trailing Arm/Swing arm/4 linked SRA/lower trailing arm style 4 linked SRA, etc. etc.), that something like this is not needed. Do they need more than 35 inches of travel? Absolutely not. 35 inches of travel is about the most you see even on a Class 1 buggy, which are the biggest vehicles with the most power, best handling, and most travel in the desert racing world. They seem to perform just fine.

Why don't F1 cars use something like this? Lamborghinis? Ferraris? Bugattis? Any other super cars, race cars, and various exotic vehicles? None of them use something like this. If your setup was THAT revolutionary, it would have been implemented into something like that already.

And come to think of it, all you really did was take a miniature scissor lift design and slap it on the front of an RC car and added a steering mechanism and it happened to work exactly you a scissor lift works. It compacts down and lifts up very high. CooCooKaChoo.

Do you have a link to the website for this magazine? I've never seen it on bookstore shelves before...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.