Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Would anyone hire an r/c car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 PM
SimpleM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Would anyone hire an r/c car?

They do this already. Portable tracks and all. Usually has a 14" wheel attached to a podium, but the cars tend to be race quality cars and fully proportional.
ORIGINAL: Access

The volume just isn't there to make such a thing work. This isn't like some of the other sports where money can be made from renting gear. For rental to work, there needs to be a 'common' or 'normal' interest in the sport/hobby/game and RC just doesn't have it. The specifics are also too hard to manage, just not worth the cost. The potential for damage is simply too high, having to collect a full deposit (or a credit card and signed contract) for loss or non-return, etc. it is just too much work for a meager payment. A shop ends up competing with the low-end used market as well as it's own repair services (which can be very lucrative), it's just bad business.

Now instead of straight rental where the customer takes possession of the item for a period, there may be something to be said for, say, use at an amusement park in an enclosed race area. For instance where a contender pays a fee to participate in a race at a fair or amusement park, never actually touches the truck, only takes possession of the controller for the duration of the race (the controller is probably secured to the booth anyways). And the winner of the race gets some credits or some prize typical of those 'fairs'. Not unlike the other games offered at fairs. But again, this would need to be a new type of event, something that was built up no differently from the ring toss or gun shoot, axe/dart throw, or other events you typically have at those fairs.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:04 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The volume just isn't there to make such a thing work. This isn't like some of the other sports where money can be made from renting gear. For rental to work, there needs to be a 'common' or 'normal' interest in the sport/hobby/game and RC just doesn't have it. The specifics are also too hard to manage, just not worth the cost. The potential for damage is simply too high, having to collect a full deposit (or a credit card and signed contract) for loss or non-return, etc. it is just too much work for a meager payment. A shop ends up competing with the low-end used market as well as it's own repair services (which can be very lucrative), it's just bad business.

Now instead of straight rental where the customer takes possession of the item for a period, there may be something to be said for, say, use at an amusement park in an enclosed race area. For instance where a contender pays a fee to participate in a race at a fair or amusement park, never actually touches the truck, only takes possession of the controller for the duration of the race (the controller is probably secured to the booth anyways). And the winner of the race gets some credits or some prize typical of those 'fairs'. Not unlike the other games offered at fairs. But again, this would need to be a new type of event, something that was built up no differently from the ring toss or gun shoot, axe/dart throw, or other events you typically have at those fairs.
They do have this already. Its a little podium with a steering wheel, usually the cars are associated pan cars... and the guys are real jerks about talking about what kind of electronics they run, must think a Novak explorer a trade secret or something. Same thing with rc boats.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:42 PM
skrankz

one of the three LHS's here is more of an indoor track than anything else, he rents out the losi short course trucks for use on the track, He is still getting things worked out with the logistics of the whole thing, but it seems like it might be something entertaining to do, lol rent one of the house units and tear up the track with it, as long as its a fairly controlled situation it could potentially work.. He has RTR kits for sale if you dont wish to use the house equipment, track fees 5$ an hour or 10 for the day ( not sure if this is final ) the track looks to be well set up... i havent had a chance to run on it yet.. though tracks and bashers dont generally seem to get along well ..

Old 04-16-2010, 04:04 AM
cumquat

i could see it working. if someone wanted to buy say a nitro mt they could rent a tmaxx and a savage to run in the designated area to deside wich fits him/her best. if you have a designated area and a reasonable cost ($20-$50) for a day plus running costs (battery packs or fuel) then it would work.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:31 AM
flatout->

ORIGINAL: moron88

i could see it working. if someone wanted to buy say a nitro mt they could rent a tmaxx and a savage to run in the designated area to deside wich fits him/her best. if you have a designated area and a reasonable cost ($20-$50) for a day plus running costs (battery packs or fuel) then it would work.
D
What about renting r/c's out to customers who will be driving them in public places of their own choice? Could that work?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 AM
cumquat

it could, but there are alot of risks with that. if you got a deposit or credit card info then it should work without much risk of theft. offer an aditional insurance so they get a replacement if the first one breaks. pricing is the hardest part.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For a small fee, I'd be wiling to drive anybody's shelf queen. Just sitting there, they may corrode and seize up, so a good run would do them good. Now I'm not a very good driver, but I promise to be careful, not go very fast and only do small jumps.

In addition to the fee, Shelf Queen Owner's will have to make a deposit to cover parts and my time for repairs in case I wreck the vehicle.

Addtional fess will be required if I have to use my own fuel.

hehehehehe....

OK.....seriously, the chance of damage is too high to allow RCs to be rented out. And as mentioned above, even experienced driver's who want to try a vehicle they are thinking of purchasing results in the hobby shop owner winding up with a "used" vehicle of low value. And think if an engine was blown up? There'd be a big arguement about who was at fault there. Was it revved too high when in the air, or was it a faulty or worn out engine?

All in all a good thought.....Flatout may turn out to be quite the entrepeneur one day.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:52 AM
robpe
Banned

Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 AM
RC_Diablo

Dude.. If I rented a RC no lie id launch that thing as far and high as possible.. I dont want to break mine.. so why not rent yours and bring it back in a shoe box????

Bad idea man... And If you charged a deposit that cost the same amount of money as the car then youll never have any customers..
Old 04-16-2010, 10:25 AM
flatout->

ORIGINAL: RC_Diablo

Dude.. If I rented a RC no lie id launch that thing as far and high as possible.. I dont want to break mine.. so why not rent yours and bring it back in a shoe box????

Bad idea man... And If you charged a deposit that cost the same amount of money as the car then youll never have any customers..
I think a deposit of 40% of the cars purchase price would be adequate and should cover the costs for any repairs on an electric car, dont you?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM
robpe
Banned

Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 AM
RC_Diablo

When I bring it back that 40% probably wont cover what I break and even if it did you would never make any money
Old 04-16-2010, 11:03 AM
robpe
Banned

"What often is thought to be the best of ideas, is usually dismissed with any sort of rational thought applied."
Old 04-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: skrankz

one of the three LHS's here is more of an indoor track than anything else, he rents out the losi short course trucks for use on the track, He is still getting things worked out with the logistics of the whole thing, but it seems like it might be something entertaining to do, lol rent one of the house units and tear up the track with it, as long as its a fairly controlled situation it could potentially work.. He has RTR kits for sale if you dont wish to use the house equipment, track fees 5$ an hour or 10 for the day ( not sure if this is final ) the track looks to be well set up... i havent had a chance to run on it yet.. though tracks and bashers dont generally seem to get along well ..

Does he make a profit though?
A truck that retails for $180. or so, the shop owner gets it for from his distributor at maybe $100-$120. If instead of selling it to the customer and making an instant and fixed amount of profit, he breaks it open and decides to rent it out, what price and how many times does he have to rent it out to even break even? To make a profit? And then the time cost, since with a straight sale the retailer makes the profit right then, the rental makes a profit only over time. Too many problems to think about IMO.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 PM
flatout->

ORIGINAL: skrankz

Does he make a profit though?
A truck that retails for $180. or so, the shop owner gets it for from his distributor at maybe $100-$120. If instead of selling it to the customer and making an instant and fixed amount of profit, he breaks it open and decides to rent it out, what price and how many times does he have to rent it out to even break even? To make a profit? And then the time cost, since with a straight sale the retailer makes the profit right then, the rental makes a profit only over time. Too many problems to think about IMO.

Not if you buy used in the first place
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 PM
flatout->

With all respect......it's muppets like you that would put guys like me out of business in the first week
Old 04-16-2010, 01:01 PM
robpe
Banned

ORIGINAL: flatout->

With all respect......it's muppets like you that would put guys like me out of business in the first week

With all respect......it's muppets like you that think they have a sound business idea that keep the figures offailed new business venturesso high.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
flatout->

ORIGINAL: robpe

With all respect......it's muppets like you that think they have a sound business idea that keep the figures of failed new business ventures so high.
Do you know what you are talking about?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:07 PM
robpe
Banned

With all respect......it's muppets like you that think they have a sound business idea that keep the figures offailed new business venturesso high.
About business, being in business, having an MBA? Yup.

And being as your rc "experience" is limited to a boomerang, at least enough to brag about it,I would guess you do not.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM
flatout->

With all respect......it's muppets like you that think they have a sound business idea that keep the figures of failed new business ventures so high.

And being as your rc ''experience'' is limited to a boomerang, at least enough to brag about it, I would guess you do not.
Wrong. I'm on my 12th r/c. How is this "limited" ? In addition, I own a profitable vehicle detailing business which I started at the beginning of this global recession/depression and has since gone from strength to strength. Don't try and teach me how to suck eggs
Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM
robpe
Banned

And being as your rc ''experience'' is limited to a boomerang, at least enough to brag about it,I would guess you do not.
Wrong. I'm on my 12th r/c. How is this "limited" ? In addition, I own a profitable vehicle detailing business which I started at the beginning of this global recession/depression and has since gone from strength to strength. Don't try and teach me how to suck eggs
ROFL - don't you have a car to wash?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:25 PM
flatout->

And being as your rc ''experience'' is limited to a boomerang, at least enough to brag about it, I would guess you do not.
Wrong. I'm on my 12th r/c. How is this ''limited'' ? In addition, I own a profitable vehicle detailing business which I started at the beginning of this global recession/depression and has since gone from strength to strength. Don't try and teach me how to suck eggs
Lol, you're a real A-hole arent you
Old 04-16-2010, 01:54 PM
robpe
Banned

And being as your rc ''experience'' is limited to a boomerang, at least enough to brag about it,I would guess you do not.
Wrong. I'm on my 12th r/c. How is this ''limited'' ? In addition, I own a profitable vehicle detailing business which I started at the beginning of this global recession/depression and has since gone from strength to strength. Don't try and teach me how to suck eggs
Lol, you're a real A-hole arent you
what's that expression?oh yeah, "it takes one to know one."

I'll send out my assistant to run the audi down so you can give it a quick wash and shine; don't forget to clean the ashtray this time.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:02 PM
flatout->

Ever heard the saying "knowledge is ignorance surrounded by laughter"?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:10 PM
RC_Diablo

My point exactly... Whats the first thing everyone wants to do when they get a RC... Why dont you look into how real rental cars are treated and think about what people would do with a rented RC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.