Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Motor smoking Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor smoking Please Help!!!

I recently replaced the motor (Monster brushed motor) , ESC (XL-5) and 3000 MaH battery( replaced two weeks ago)on my R/C truck because for some reason the old ones gave it no power. Last night I ran it for 5 minutes (fully charged) and it lost all power and the motor smoked a little and gave off a burning smell. I figured that the new motor was faulty. Today I tried running it again and it worked. It went a little faster (though not nearly as fast as it should) for a little while but quickly slowed down after a couple minutes. Could my battery be bad and the smell was just some film on new motors? Is that possible? Any suggestions would be helpful and much appreciated! Thanks and sorry for the long question.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Motor smoking Please Help!!!

If an electric motor smokes, its toast. How was your gear mesh? A really tight gear mesh will heat motors up extremely fast.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

If you have it over geared you will fry it . You need to gear different motors differently . The motor is toast .
Old 04-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Sigma.40

Even if it still ran the next day? If that's the case, then I guess I will try to exchange it at the store it was bought and installed at. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Dawman

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

Even if it still ran the next day? If that's the case, then I guess I will try to exchange it at the store it was bought and installed at. Thanks for the reply.

Like you said when you ran it the next day it loss power after a few minutes . You can smoke a motor and will half ***** run until it is totally gone , depending on how bad it was fried the first time .
Old 04-26-2010, 06:53 PM
burnineyes

I consider it a necessity to use a temperature gauge any time I swap a motor or gear. Use it often the first few runs and keep the temp under control and your motor will last and last.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Sigma.40

Alright, I am very new to this and Iamstill learning. I bought the car 2 weeks ago. I had the guy at the hobby shop install the motor. Is there something that he should have done before sending me out the door? Is there anything that I should make sure he does (or I do)so the next motor doesn't do this? I REALLYappreciate all the quick replies.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Dawman

What turn motor was in it and what turn motor was put in it ? If a different turn motor was installed then the pinion gear should have been changed , especially if going to a faster motor . What truck are we talking about ? Most manuals have a suggested gearing chart .
Old 04-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Sigma.40

I don't know what the motor was as I bought the truck used and the label was removed. The motor I bought was a monster 27 ( I checked google and I think that means 27 turns) The truck is a Team Losi JRXT.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:28 AM
burnineyes

It is a possibility that the gearing needed to be changed along with the motor, but a 27T motor can take a seriously large gear range without problems. I suspect there is a problem with either the install, the truck, or possibly you just got a dud motor. I would go back to the guy who replaced the motor and ask him to check the truck, and his work.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Sigma.40

Alright, I figured out what was wrong (or rather the r/c shop guy did). The differential was not moving or not working so every time I took a sharp turn the wheels were unable to go different speeds which stressed out the motor. The hobby shop said this with many more technical words, but this was basically what he was saying. Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:01 PM
moe7404

well iam sure the motor isnt old enough to smoke. dont forget all electronics run on smoke, dont think so. just let out all the smoke and it WILL stop working.